Building Footprints
3 replies to this topic - Started By Night_Ange1, Oct 03 2016 09:48 AM

#1 Night_Ange1

Night_Ange1
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

First great game you've built here and excited to see its progression. Just started with Dev build 22 stable and already love the feel of it.

Topic:
So far in my current world I'm wrapping up my first solid base of near infinite survival, as long as I watch my defenses. So I'm looking towards starting my next village. Currently on building placement each building footprint comes with a 1 block wide spacing for foot traffic. This causes every building to be 2 spaces apart. Paths end up zigzag and corners get cut. Wayfares hut helps with the higher tier paths causing the path AI to follow your paths a little better.
Also when compacting a base these cause unnecessary large footprints.

I suggest making a "Hard" footprint of the actual building and a "Soft" footprint that can overlap between buildings.

Bonus suggestion is walls can go into the soft footprint.

#2 thegoddess

thegoddess
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

I second this motion for hard vs soft footprints. I like the idea of the extra room from the current set up, but would also enjoy the opportunity to use that extra space. Adding walls into soft footprints is also something I'd stand behind. For those buildings that end up on the outskirts of my town. RIP extra farms that I need later.

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,923 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:18 PM

While I agree it would be a cool feature, it's not one I can guarantee you'll ever see due to how the game mechanics are currently designed.

It's pretty complicated to explain why, but the current building blueprints have the buffer by design and the AI has been built up around the concept of that buffer existing.

The major problem is building location detection. If 2 buildings overlapped (say, a wall and a house) all of the AI would go completely haywire not knowing what building is at that tile location, and it would completely muck up several AI functions, like repairing, attacking, dismantling and resource delivery.

Of course, that can be fixed. But it would require a lot of AI reprogramming, so if it ever was added it probably wouldn't be for quite some time. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 Night_Ange1

Night_Ange1
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Pip

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and keep up the good work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users