Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Don't worry. I won't bug you. 

My opinion is rather short and sweet so-to-speak. It also includes a few questions.

Biggest thing I have to ask is the genre of the game.

Obviously it is medieval, but I'd like to hear what the final subgenre will be.

We talking like D&D/Pathfinder roleplaying fantasy? More realistic? I'd love to know, because I am a big player of Pathfinder RPG and have seven years of experance in that regard. If thats the case, I might be of help.  B)

Second question: Monsters. Is it going to work like an orc tribe living in a few tents somewhere and they send their raids from there? Or is it going to be a minecraft-style spawn? Or both? 

On to what I'm looking foward to and suggestions:

- Seasons (And from that, weather) - I know this is on your list, but I gotta say: SNOW IS AWESOME.

- NPC camps - Refers to my second question, but will there be friendly/hostile/neutral places in the map? Course I'm sure they won't be common at all, but it would be kinda cool to recruit mercinaries from a camp, or trade with a monk order living atop a mountain? Obviously this will be in the far future, but what do you have in mind?

- Monsters - I'm Interested your own visions about Mobs. Obviously there is going to be a few overviews of these mobs made by supporters, but what about the ones you have planned? We talking a new view on a classic, like werewolves, zombies, orcs, goblins, Hyena-men? Or you going tottally orginal. As monsters will be soon a very important part of the game, you will need to nail them just right. The best enemies are the ones players fear and respect, not the ones that are just there to destroy. Like any good game, a story behind each monster adds thrill and mystery to the game. 

- Make Raw stats avaible - I'm not going to lie, I love raw stat files for things. I love breaking them down and graphing them (Now you know what I'm going to do on the Wiki!) and averaging them. This is the least of your worries, I know, but you'd be suprised how much this helps when graphed in a visual manner. (Also from this, I'm a really good gameplay balancer, so do let me know if you need any mathhammer done.) I know I could just extract the files... but quite honestly, I'm too lazy  :P

- EDIT - Fishing - This would be awesome.

- EDIT - House UI - This would be a simple improvement and I'm sure its already marked down on the to-do, but actully seeing who is inside a building would be nice. Also, a question: What is the system for assigning villagers to a house. It seem completely random now, and I know with marrages and such they (will) change houses, but in the future will this be set with modifiers? Or will it be manual for the player?

I have tons of other ideas, but many have been already stated and I really dont want to bug you. I'll post them when they are relevant.

Keep up the amazing work! 

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

#2 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

We talking like D&D/Pathfinder roleplaying fantasy? More realistic? I'd love to know, because I am a big player of Pathfinder RPG and have seven years of experance in that regard. If thats the case, I might be of help.  B)

Second question: Monsters. Is it going to work like an orc tribe living in a few tents somewhere and they send their raids from there? Or is it going to be a minecraft-style spawn? Or both? 

- Seasons (And from that, weather) - I know this is on your list, but I gotta say: SNOW IS AWESOME.

- NPC camps - Refers to my second question, but will there be friendly/hostile/neutral places in the map? Course I'm sure they won't be common at all, but it would be kinda cool to recruit mercinaries from a camp, or trade with a monk order living atop a mountain? Obviously this will be in the far future, but what do you have in mind?

- Monsters - I'm Interested your own visions about Mobs. Obviously there is going to be a few overviews of these mobs made by supporters, but what about the ones you have planned? We talking a new view on a classic, like werewolves, zombies, orcs, goblins, Hyena-men? Or you going tottally orginal. As monsters will be soon a very important part of the game, you will need to nail them just right. The best enemies are the ones players fear and respect, not the ones that are just there to destroy. Like any good game, a story behind each monster adds thrill and mystery to the game. 

- Make Raw stats avaible - I'm not going to lie, I love raw stat files for things. I love breaking them down and graphing them (Now you know what I'm going to do on the Wiki!) and averaging them. This is the least of your worries, I know, but you'd be suprised how much this helps when graphed in a visual manner. (Also from this, I'm a really good gameplay balancer, so do let me know if you need any mathhammer done.) I know I could just extract the files... but quite honestly, I'm too lazy  :P

- EDIT - House UI - This would be a simple improvement and I'm sure its already marked down on the to-do, but actully seeing who is inside a building would be nice. Also, a question: What is the system for assigning villagers to a house. It seem completely random now, and I know with marrages and such they (will) change houses, but in the future will this be set with modifiers? Or will it be manual for the player?

I have tons of other ideas, but many have been already stated and I really dont want to bug you. I'll post them when they are relevant.

Haven't been able to play the tech demo yet myself, all the .bat's give me an error, but that's something to post somewhere else.

On the medieval thing, I have the same question. More in terms of, what will the 'tech range' be? I think it would be cool going from a 'stone age' to some fantasy tech imperium where foot soldiers have stunning dart guns or roll some 4-barrel laser gun artillery(crystal-powered) and wear strange armor like stone, dragon scale/basalisk/leviathan, mirror, christmas mage robes, compact ice, projectile-rebounding, collision (run into with spikes/super-heated/electric).

Also have vehicles with gravity defying techniques (mined gravitanium-levistone/an enchanted material/winged-propulsion/propellers), maybe train/mind control mobs with laser vision, sonic air/water attacks, acid-spitters, ones that create mini-black holes, ruby-lasers, psy waves, tentacles. Villagers could build defense such as trap pits/hallways. Things being powered by lava, fairy plasma, dark energy/evil/anti-matter, slimy-oscillating bug hydraulics, dams, hotspring steam, tectonic friction, soul-collection weapons (power to the kill! lol), ion juice reservoirs, ripple-cloud energy, moonlight collectors. XCOM had hover tanks, you have to have hover tanks, even if they're like made of stone and shoot bamboo spears.

The tech could progress in a BS manner where we skip a lot of 'mine copper for computer chips' (like Factorio) and say 'mine the crystals, and crystals have beam power (like Star Wars). You could also have random mobs along with enemy nations (NPC camps as mentioned in quoted post) that use a unique array of said technologies.

I know most of that seems pretty extreme or ambitious but it seems most of the great games of our time have a strong element of fantasy while sticking within reason of explanation and synthesis. I think another good factor is mystery. There could be a lot of things found or used that are creepy or unexplained that factor into the game.

===================================

On mobs, I second on having 'werewolves, zombies, orcs, goblins, Hyena-men', that's an awesome list (even though it was a question and not a proposition). You could do half common span of mobs (dark angels *with rapiers and laser vision yay, slimy swamp monsters, cassowary, ancient simplistic abominations, cheetahs, pirates, barbarians riding dire wolves, gargoyles, crystal giants, succubi, crocodiles, list of mobs in ADOM) and the other half as original mobs (8-winged dinosaur, marshmallow men, idk what else).

Looking at some features of Spore, you could have 'epics', giant standalone mobs (behemoths? dragons? mantis? demi-gods?) that wreak havoc on everyone, even other mobs and you can gather special technologies or lots of xp from them, watch epics fight (nothing like stopping everything you're doing and watching a godzilla fight). I agree that fishing would be a good gathering addition.

At this point I'm just throwing out random ideas but, in terms of setup, I like the idea in the other thread of preset game modifiers (double mob atk etc.). I guess you could say general variation.

You could do 'race choices' like in Master of Orion II where you pick bonuses and penalties based on how you want to do things, even modify from being human to another species. You could do map dimensions, like if you pick the rust & wind dimension, a sandy desert where everything slowly decays (loses hp along with structures) and all the mobs are skeletons. I guess they would be scenarios or situations really, pre-made maps or features in map editor or 'make new world' I dunno.

List of smaller ideas:

Mobs could have evolutions from xp or rising time? Crypt mob spawning structure, different colored mountains, ravines-crevaces-trenches, invisible mobs, natural disasters, diseases (mythic scourge, moon rave, crow blight), items from epic monsters allow entrance inside mountain cave areas, waterfalls, ancient landmarks and doodads, glaciers, wizard fortress, emerald temple, shapeshifters, ghost palace, ivory tower, razorback fish in poison pools, headless horsemen with flails, myrmidons, city that protects a magical bird, shields-pikes-great swords-magic weapons-flutes/harps-axes-psy sword

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Theme/Monsters:

Actually the final theme of the game is fuzzy and hard to explain. The villagers themselves will stay locked into a sort of medieval/classic D&D theme. So expect high end villager-related stuff to be things like mages, explosives, medieval traps, etc. But, the world around them will vary greatly. Some monsters may even be down-right wacky. The game isn't meant to realistic in that regard, as much as just plain fun. For example, some maps may be set in a "Candyland" theme, and you may get attacked by a horde of chocolate bunnies. ;)

As for monster spawning behavior, the initial coding will be random spawning. They will spawn around the "holes" in the map and slowly spread out. But I do want to eventually add little huts, pits, caves, etc where monsters regularly spawn from.

Friendlies:

The village is meant to feel very isolated, so there probably won't be much (if any) interaction with friendly NPCs outside of your village, any friendly interaction would probably be something like befriending a small tribe on the map and converting their villagers to your own. But those plans are far down the road.

Stats:

For stats, I want to add some stats in the future. Although I couldnt give you any real details yet.

Fishing:

Fishing is already on the "maybe" pile..

Homes:

..and finally, the houses: Actually when they partner up they already try to move in together. The only time it doesn't happen is if both of their houses are full. In that event they just stay separated until one of the houses open up. Normally with people pairing up, children being born, more houses being built, they will eventually all live together. There just may be some cases where they don't for a while. But, they can still interact/breed, it's just random what house they go to when the breeding event happens.

You also will probably never be able to assign people to houses, the housing is completely random on purpose. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 Jeviny

Jeviny
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Jeviny
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'm crying.

I recently bought 'Retro-Pixel Castles: GotY Edition.' 10/10 gameplay.

#5 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

Haven't been able to play the tech demo yet myself, all the .bat's give me an error, but that's something to post somewhere else.

On the medieval thing, I have the same question. More in terms of, what will the 'tech range' be? I think it would be cool going from a 'stone age' to some fantasy tech imperium where foot soldiers have stunning dart guns or roll some 4-barrel laser gun artillery(crystal-powered) and wear strange armor like stone, dragon scale/basalisk/leviathan, mirror, christmas mage robes, compact ice, projectile-rebounding, collision (run into with spikes/super-heated/electric).

Also have vehicles with gravity defying techniques (mined gravitanium-levistone/an enchanted material/winged-propulsion/propellers), maybe train/mind control mobs with laser vision, sonic air/water attacks, acid-spitters, ones that create mini-black holes, ruby-lasers, psy waves, tentacles. Villagers could build defense such as trap pits/hallways. Things being powered by lava, fairy plasma, dark energy/evil/anti-matter, slimy-oscillating bug hydraulics, dams, hotspring steam, tectonic friction, soul-collection weapons (power to the kill! lol), ion juice reservoirs, ripple-cloud energy, moonlight collectors. XCOM had hover tanks, you have to have hover tanks, even if they're like made of stone and shoot bamboo spears.

The tech could progress in a BS manner where we skip a lot of 'mine copper for computer chips' (like Factorio) and say 'mine the crystals, and crystals have beam power (like Star Wars). You could also have random mobs along with enemy nations (NPC camps as mentioned in quoted post) that use a unique array of said technologies.

I know most of that seems pretty extreme or ambitious but it seems most of the great games of our time have a strong element of fantasy while sticking within reason of explanation and synthesis. I think another good factor is mystery. There could be a lot of things found or used that are creepy or unexplained that factor into the game.

On mobs, I second on having 'werewolves, zombies, orcs, goblins, Hyena-men', that's an awesome list (even though it was a question and not a proposition). You could do half common span of mobs (dark angels *with rapiers and laser vision yay, slimy swamp monsters, cassowary, ancient simplistic abominations, cheetahs, pirates, barbarians riding dire wolves, gargoyles, crystal giants, succubi, crocodiles, list of mobs in ADOM) and the other half as original mobs (8-winged dinosaur, marshmallow men, idk what else).

Looking at some features of Spore, you could have 'epics', giant standalone mobs (behemoths? dragons? mantis? demi-gods?) that wreak havoc on everyone, even other mobs and you can gather special technologies or lots of xp from them, watch epics fight (nothing like stopping everything you're doing and watching a godzilla fight). I agree that fishing would be a good gathering addition.

At this point I'm just throwing out random ideas but, in terms of setup, I like the idea in the other thread of preset game modifiers (double mob atk etc.). I guess you could say general variation.

You could do 'race choices' like in Master of Orion II where you pick bonuses and penalties based on how you want to do things, even modify from being human to another species. You could do map dimensions, like if you pick the rust & wind dimension, a sandy desert where everything slowly decays (loses hp along with structures) and all the mobs are skeletons. I guess they would be scenarios or situations really, pre-made maps or features in map editor or 'make new world' I dunno.

List of smaller ideas:

Mobs could have evolutions from xp or rising time? Crypt mob spawning structure, different colored mountains, ravines-crevaces-trenches, invisible mobs, natural disasters, diseases (mythic scourge, moon rave, crow blight), items from epic monsters allow entrance inside mountain cave areas, waterfalls, ancient landmarks and doodads, glaciers, wizard fortress, emerald temple, shapeshifters, ghost palace, ivory tower, razorback fish in poison pools, headless horsemen with flails, myrmidons, city that protects a magical bird, shields-pikes-great swords-magic weapons-flutes/harps-axes-psy sword

interestingly excited players you have here, 

Some of those ideas i like and some i don't but don't get to other you head, don't want to get disappointed if they aren't going to be added :) Not saying you can't be all happy and stuff, just don't be sad if what you want doesn't get added.

Theme/Monsters:

Actually the final theme of the game is fuzzy and hard to explain. The villagers themselves will stay locked into a sort of medieval/classic D&D theme. So expect high end villager-related stuff to be things like mages, explosives, medieval traps, etc. But, the world around them will vary greatly. Some monsters may even be down-right wacky. The game isn't meant to realistic in that regard, as much as just plain fun. For example, some maps may be set in a "Candyland" theme, and you may get attacked by a horde of chocolate bunnies. ;)

As for monster spawning behavior, the initial coding will be random spawning. They will spawn around the "holes" in the map and slowly spread out. But I do want to eventually add little huts, pits, caves, etc where monsters regularly spawn from.

Friendlies:

The village is meant to feel very isolated, so there probably won't be much (if any) interaction with friendly NPCs outside of your village, any friendly interaction would probably be something like befriending a small tribe on the map and converting their villagers to your own. But those plans are far down the road.

Stats:

For stats, I want to add some stats in the future. Although I couldnt give you any real details yet.

Fishing:

Homes:

..and finally, the houses: Actually when they partner up they already try to move in together. The only time it doesn't happen is if both of their houses are full. In that event they just stay separated until one of the houses open up. Normally with people pairing up, children being born, more houses being built, they will eventually all live together. There just may be some cases where they don't for a while. But, they can still interact/breed, it's just random what house they go to when the breeding event happens.

You also will probably never be able to assign people to houses, the housing is completely random on purpose. :)

I think friendly people would be cool, but it would be hard to make them wouldn't it? Because it would be better so they also spawned randomly around the map, instead of being made by the map creator, or it would give it off to much.

Fishing also i think may be a good idea, I think it would be a peaceful thing to add to the game.

You've said a lot about candyland ray :) i'm guessing it just is the first thing that pops into your head, that means you either love candy or just crazy minded :P

Don't worry. I won't bug you. 

My opinion is rather short and sweet so-to-speak. It also includes a few questions.

That's a long list you have there :) I think both you and KyoShinda have had too much coffee :P

Enough letters on this thread to be more than all of the threads at once! (not really)

On another note like ray has said before, the game is meant to be as hands-off as possible, like that means not being able to control the villagers too much, they need to have a mind of their own, not all sharing yours! :)

#6 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm crying.

Too much words for you or scared by all them suggestions? that just.. never... ended... Also you haven't been here much? :D Welcome back.

#7 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

That's a long list you have there :) I think both you and KyoShinda have had too much coffee :P

Enough letters on this thread to be more than all of the threads at once! (not really)

On another note like ray has said before, the game is meant to be as hands-off as possible, like that means not being able to control the villagers too much, they need to have a mind of their own, not all sharing yours! :)

lol, I would be fine with a pretty basic game, I just felt like listing anything and everything I thought was interesting from games I've played, ideas I had for the rpg maker game I never made, stuff like that, and just because you wouldn't be able to 'control' them, doesn't mean they would make such things on their own. o_~

One thing that did annoy me about 2d town strategy games (or w/e this genre is) was the micro-managing, and this lessens that quite a bit, so that's already something to look forward to.

#8 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

BAM

That exploded fast.

interestingly excited players you have here, 

Some of those ideas i like and some i don't but don't get to other you head, don't want to get disappointed if they aren't going to be added :) Not saying you can't be all happy and stuff, just don't be sad if what you want doesn't get added.

I think friendly people would be cool, but it would be hard to make them wouldn't it? Because it would be better so they also spawned randomly around the map, instead of being made by the map creator, or it would give it off to much.

Completely agree with above ^

The captain of my soul.

#9 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

Theme/Monsters:

Friendlies:

Stats:

Fishing:

Homes:

Answered most of my questions. Thanks!

The captain of my soul.

#10 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

They will spawn around the "holes" in the map and slowly spread out. But I do want to eventually add little huts, pits, caves, etc where monsters regularly spawn from.

I was playing an island map and realized cave spawning for mobs would be great for ocean maps because edge spawning wouldn't work and neither would mob structure spawning (since those would eventually be destroyed and you're meant to die eventually which, for those, I second an 'attack nests' button on individual guard buildings).

You could make it where they take up one mountain block (although I guess they could only face down?) and make it where you can't build or place anything on the block in front of it. The texture would be pretty easy to do too, something like this:

0kdHPwF.png

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

I was playing an island map and realized cave spawning for mobs would be great for ocean maps because edge spawning wouldn't work and neither would mob structure spawning (since those would eventually be destroyed and you're meant to die eventually which, for those, I second an 'attack nests' button on individual guard buildings).

You could make it where they take up one mountain block (although I guess they could only face down?) and make it where you can't build or place anything on the block in front of it. The texture would be pretty easy to do too, something like this:

That might introduce some strange mechanics though, for example, if you harvest all the stone in that area, what happens to the cave? I guess it would be cool to make that a method of removing the threat, but then it begs the question "Where were the cave tunnels inside?". Although we're playing on a floating map in space, people may not care if it technically makes any sense. :P

The idea though for spawning was if you wanted a spawn point in the middle of the map, you'd poke a hole in the map. That's why Quest Forest is built the way it is, with tears scattered around.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#12 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:10 PM

That might introduce some strange mechanics though, for example, if you harvest all the stone in that area, what happens to the cave? I guess it would be cool to make that a method of removing the threat, but then it begs the question "Where were the cave tunnels inside?". Although we're playing on a floating map in space, people may not care if it technically makes any sense. :P

The idea though for spawning was if you wanted a spawn point in the middle of the map, you'd poke a hole in the map. That's why Quest Forest is built the way it is, with tears scattered around.

Ha! I got one! What if, when you mine the cave square, it turns into a void hole! (sort of like, the cave pretty much went straight down, almost like a pit but with an entrance)

I just feel map tears on an island don't look as good aesthetically as a cave.

Also, the upgrade system, if the map was designed for no mob spawn would players still be able to unlock things? As you said there would be a point system and an unlock system but if you got points for lasting a long time but there were little to no kills involved from the map being sterile of mobs that would mean points are sort of separate and for sport right?

#13 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

Ha! I got one! What if, when you mine the cave square, it turns into a void hole! (sort of like, the cave pretty much went straight down, almost like a pit but with an entrance)

I just feel map tears on an island don't look as good aesthetically as a cave.

Now there's an idea. Although I'm not sure if I'd do it so much as mountain caves, maybe special objects? Guess I can play with it some in the future and see what works. The game needs more spawn areas than just the void anyway. :P

Also, the upgrade system, if the map was designed for no mob spawn would players still be able to unlock things? As you said there would be a point system and an unlock system but if you got points for lasting a long time but there were little to no kills involved from the map being sterile of mobs that would mean points are sort of separate and for sport right?

Being a single player game, it's really none of my business if you want to ruin your gaming experience my cheating, so I might allow it. I really have not decided yet. Although maybe coupled with some randomly placed spawn points or other disasters that blow void holes open it might not be an issue. For example, say you build a 100% mob proof map, then a meteor comes down and blasts a hole in the world and monsters come spewing out. I've also considered allowing monsters to spawn in the lava/water as well, but that's mostly an experimental idea.

I also have many methods that all work together to unlock things. For example, one of these methods will involve spending "gold and gems" that only drop off killed monsters, while others may be time based, like "survive 100 days on map <X>".
Rise to Ruins Developer

#14 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

Being a single player game, it's really none of my business if you want to ruin your gaming experience my cheating, so I might allow it. I really have not decided yet. Although maybe coupled with some randomly placed spawn points or other disasters that blow void holes open it might not be an issue. For example, say you build a 100% mob proof map, then a meteor comes down and blasts a hole in the world and monsters come spewing out. I've also considered allowing monsters to spawn in the lava/water as well, but that's mostly an experimental idea.

I also have many methods that all work together to unlock things. For example, one of these methods will involve spending "gold and gems" that only drop off killed monsters, while others may be time based, like "survive 100 days on map <X>".

I always feel it's a good idea to make it harder to cheat unless it gets to the point where it ruins any gameplay. Those ideas are crazy awesome though, I hope you're able to add them. xD

If a monster did spawn from water or lava, they would probably be that 'element' right?

It would be pretty cool to make some unlocks specifically for your dev maps that come with the game, it would cut down on being able to cheat unlocks. You could also do it for holiday maps and maps representational of new tilesets.

One thing that should probably be avoided is making unlocks similar to achievements in other games having like 'have one guy kill 8 monsters by himself while on a unicycle only using his elbows' and keeping them simple and generalized like the one you just mentioned.

#15 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

One thing that should probably be avoided is making unlocks similar to achievements in other games having like 'have one guy kill 8 monsters by himself while on a unicycle only using his elbows' and keeping them simple and generalized like the one you just mentioned.

If you can make a villager do that, you deserve to get an unlock just because it's so absurdly hard.

#16 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

If you can make a villager do that, you deserve to get an unlock just because it's so absurdly hard.

Also, that villager would make dough as a street performer...

Or perhaps solidifies the need of Asylums...

The captain of my soul.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warfang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users