#1 The Runner

The Runner
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:The Runner
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

The problem persists with only one map that I built back in stable 17 (I only play on stable releases)

This log was when I attempted to use the map's editor.

Retro-Pixel Castles InDev 19c
Operating System: Windows 7
GPU Drivers: nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx
GPU Driver Version: 10.18.13.6191
Maximum JVM Memory: 3632MB
Display Mode: Windowed

Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:Slick Build #237
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:LWJGL Version: 2.9.3
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:OriginalDisplayMode: 1920 x 1080 x 32 @60Hz
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:TargetDisplayMode: 1280 x 720 x 0 @0Hz
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:Starting display 1280x720
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:Use Java PNG Loader = true
Sat May 28 20:24:37 PDT 2016 INFO:Controllers not available
Sat May 28 20:24:38 PDT 2016 INFO:Initialising sounds..
Sat May 28 20:24:38 PDT 2016 INFO:- Sound works
Sat May 28 20:24:38 PDT 2016 INFO:- 64 OpenAL source available
Sat May 28 20:24:38 PDT 2016 INFO:- Sounds source generated
Resetting SPLASH
Resetting SPLASH
Failed to load limbo villagers.
Failed to load limbo resources.
Loading Game
Font Module: 0
Save Module: 0
Time Module: 0
Map Module: 710
Road Module: 2
Mini Map Module: 24
Limbo resource save data failed to load, loading defaults!
Resource Module: 27
Transition Module: 0
Shadow Module: 882
Lighting Module: 46
Projectile Module: 0
Missile Module: 4
Particle Module: 30
Collision Module: 518
Depth Module: 103
Ancient Cullis Gate has been completed.
Ancient Radiance Pool has been completed.
Object Module: 125
Background Module: 0
Sound Module: 6
Mob Module: 135
Essence Module: 0
Weather Module: 0
Resource Module Sync: 0
Object Module Sync: 28
Mob Module Sync: 10
Essence Module Sync: 0
Missile Module Sync: 0
TOTAL TIME: 4164
Resetting MAIN_MENU
Loading Game
LoadingmapEditor
Font Module: 0
Save Module: 0
Time Module: 0
Converting map to new 7 layer system.
Sat May 28 20:30:28 PDT 2016 ERROR:null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.newdawn.slick.Graphics.drawImage(Graphics.java:1457)
at org.newdawn.slick.Graphics.drawImage(Graphics.java:1506)
at rpc.map.MapModule.refreshFullMiddle(MapModule.java:298)
at rpc.states.StateBase.loadState(StateBase.java:573)
at rpc.states.MapEditorState.loadState(MapEditorState.java:70)
at rpc.states.StateBase.update(StateBase.java:418)
at rpc.states.MapEditorState.update(MapEditorState.java:187)
at org.newdawn.slick.state.StateBasedGame.update(StateBasedGame.java:266)
at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:657)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.gameLoop(AppGameContainer.java:484)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.start(AppGameContainer.java:394)
at rpc.system.Game.launchGame(Game.java:110)
at rpc.system.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:50)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)
Sat May 28 20:30:28 PDT 2016 ERROR:Game.update() failure - check the game code.
org.newdawn.slick.SlickException: Game.update() failure - check the game code.
at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:669)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.gameLoop(AppGameContainer.java:484)
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.start(AppGameContainer.java:394)
at rpc.system.Game.launchGame(Game.java:110)
at rpc.system.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:50)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)

The last thing before the game crash, was it brought be into the loading screen as if any other map, but quickly crash to the desktop.

The map is from stable 17, though I could play it back on stable 18, but not stable 19.

My theory, is it's from two versions ago and did not survive the changes made recently. 
* Another map I made however does work without conflict, though was made back in stable 18.

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

Depending on what update the map was made and when it was last converted, it is possible the map is fine and it just can't be converted by the latest version of RPC. I try to make the maps as backwards compatible as possible, but as the game progresses some of the older compatibility slowly get removed as the code gets more and more complicated.

Good news is the map can still be "fixed" with an old version of the game. It's just a matter of loading the map in a version that can convert it to something that can then be converted to the latest version.

Bad news is you don't have access to any old versions of RPC unless you've been copy/pasting them out of the install folder between patches!

If you want though, you can upload the map to someplace like dropbox, and I'll convert the map for you.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 The Runner

The Runner
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

"Good news is the map can still be "fixed" with an old version of the game. It's just a matter of loading the map in a version that can convert it to something that can then be converted to the latest version."

So with each stable patch of the game, I have to load the map in order for it to be converted, as like an inbuilt converter? I don't mind that one bit.

"If you want though, you can upload the map to someplace like dropbox, and I'll convert the map for you."

I would be grateful if you could convert the map. I've been working on the map on and off and was hoping to share it sometime soon.

https://www.dropbox....U1Rud2Qq4a?dl=0

Thank you so much, and I'm absolutely loving the game!

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Actually, you'll have to load the map in the map editor and save/exit. If you just load it in the play mode it just duplicates the map, and converts the duplication for use in your save file, leaving the original files untouched.

Map conversions are actually really rare though, it's just dumb luck between InDev 17 and 18 there's been a bunch of very small changes, with InDev 19 being the only "big" one in over a year. InDev 19 merges the object and topography layers, and adds a special layer for roads. Problem is, the conversion process for InDev 18 to 19 made the processes from 17 to 18 obsolete, and would of taken quite a bit of dev time to fix. :)

But, aside from the last few patches I can't even remember the last version that needed a converter. I think it was InDev 12, and that was early 2015. So typically I wouldn't sweat having to convert the map every single update. Typically those little converters stay in the code for a while, I only remove them when they become so obsolete that it's better to just remove the converter than write a new one.

Anywho, here's your map! http://retropixelcas...mmSanctuary.zip

Good work by the way, very nice map. I might include it in the Developer's Choice pack. :)

PS: The Guard Shack you placed at 27, 177 was removed automatically in the conversion, since guards no longer exist.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 The Runner

The Runner
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:45 PM

"Actually, you'll have to load the map in the map editor and save/exit. If you just load it in the play mode it just duplicates the map, and converts the duplication for use in your save file, leaving the original files untouched."

I was wondering if I had to use the editor, thanks for explaining it.

"Map conversions are actually really rare though, it's just dumb luck between InDev 17 and 18 there's been a bunch of very small changes, with InDev 19 being the only "big" one in over a year. InDev 19 merges the object and topography layers, and adds a special layer for roads. Problem is, the conversion process for InDev 18 to 19 made the processes from 17 to 18 obsolete, and would of taken quite a bit of dev time to fix.  :)

But, aside from the last few patches I can't even remember the last version that needed a converter. I think it was InDev 12, and that was early 2015. So typically I wouldn't sweat having to convert the map every single update, and typically those little converters stay in the code for a while, I only remove them when they become so obsolete that it's better to just remove the converter than write a new one."

I recently bought the game during indev 17, and bought it for a friend, so I'm quite new, I do love how each update does have a converter process in the code, makes life a lot easier.

"Good work by the way, very nice map. I might include it in the Developer's Choice pack.  :)"

Thanks! it's actually my first map and I've been actively trying to adapt it to every patch with more additions, though as of recent I neglected to do any editing when it entered 1.8, since I was waiting primarily for more content to add. It'd be an honor if you ever wanted to include it in the pack! I'll be sure to update the map with the new content you added!

And thank you again for saving Kiemm Sanctuary! I also took note of the guard shack, will make a replacement soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users