#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

InDev 19 development has started, InDev 19, like 18, will be bringing in loads of new content and game changing mechanics!

This updates primary focus is on adding new defenses, roads, spawn systems and AI to the game. It will also flesh out many of the mechanics added in InDev 18. As always, the road map just highlights the biggest changes, there will always be additional smaller changes along the way.

If you have any requests, be sure to post them in the comments. Let me know what you want, and how you want it to work! You might just find it sneak into the next patch. :)

InDev 19 Road Map
Roads
There will be 5 tiers of roads, you will have to start with tier 1 and work your way up to 5. For example, if you wanted a Tier 2 road, you'd first have to create a tier 1 road and build a tier 2 road on top. The roads will be built and maintained by new workers from a new building.
  • Tier 1: Basic path. Villagers will automatically generate a basic paths in the ground in high traffic areas, offering a minor speed boost. The paths can also be built manually, for no resource cost, and function as the foundation to build roads on.
  • Tier 2: Wood path. Costs 1 log resource per tile.
  • Tier 3: Cobble and wood path. Costs 1 rock resource per tile.
  • Tier 4: Board and cobble road. Costs 1 board resource per tile.
  • Tier 5: Board and cut stone road. Costs 1 stone resource per tile.
  • Note that because you need to have the previous road built in order to build the next tier, bringing terrain from nothing to tier 5 actually costs 1 log, 1 plank, 1 rock and 1 stone per tile.
  • All road types will decay over time, requiring basic maintenance. The more traffic a road gets, the faster it will decay.
  • A new "Road Worker" building will be added to build and maintain the roads. The workers will automatically repair the roads as they start to decay, and facilitate any new road construction you assign.
  • More road tiers may be added in the future when more complex resources are added to the game.
Golems and Other New Defenses!
Several new defense buildings will be added, including the new Golems system.
  • Golem Building - A basic defensive building that will generate Golems that will act similarly to guards, but are renewable. Meaning if one dies, a new one will eventually take it's place. These can be placed in heavy combat areas to keep monsters at bay and hopefully in range of your towers.
  • Boost Tower - A tower that boosts the abilities of other towers!
  • Healing Tower - A tower that very slowly heals any friendly in range.
  • Bullet Tower - A fast shooting, low damage "machine gun" like tower that uses the same ammo as the sling tower, but can shoot over walls.
  • Sniper Tower - An extremely slow shooting tower with very high range and damage. Likely will use the same ammo as the Bow Tower.
New Monster Spawning System!
A complete rewrite of the monster spawning system, opening the door for future changes.
  • Monsters will now spawn anywhere on the map that is not inside the village.
  • Monsters will only be able to spawn in open space, so they won't be trapped in tiny pockets they have to dig their way out of.
  • Monsters types will spawn based on the type of tile they spawn over, setting up map-specific monster spawns in the future.
  • Monster spawn rate settings will be added to the map, setting up for map difficulty settings in the future.
Assistant Buildings
These may not all make it into InDev 19, they will be added as time permits. If they do not make it, they'll be pushed into InDev 20!
  • A tavern - This building will be a fun place villagers can go to relax. It will boost happiness, and while in the tavern, encourage people to interact (and thus, partner up for mating)
  • A church - A place to boost happiness, and while it's being used you'll also get a boost to your influence bar. The more people there, the more influence you'll gain on top of the usual gain rates.
  • A hospital/clinic - You can assign villagers to work there and they'll become "field medics" who will run around healing fellow villagers. Later, this will also be a place pregnant villagers can go to give birth and their child will get some bonus experience for being born there, rather than at home or on the fields.
  • Schools - A place where children villagers can go get educated. Children will gain experience when they visit the school, so they might get to start their adulthood a few levels higher than what they were when they were born.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 Sandpirate

Sandpirate
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Ooh I can hardly wait to try out those towers.

#3 abc

abc
  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

All aboard the hype train! *choo choo*

#4 Sandpirate

Sandpirate
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

A tower that does area of affect damage could be handy. It would be slow firing and possibly use crystals for ammunition. The damage dealt would be low, but over an area.

Maybe later in the game you could upgrade/research it to use specific crystals for differing affects?

Green: Stops monsters temporarily in their tracks.

Blue: Kind of an in-between tower, it does moderate cold damage as well as slowing monsters.

Red: A damage focused tower it does fire damage to all that it hits.

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Maybe later in the game you could upgrade/research it to use specific crystals for differing affects?

Green: Stops monsters temporarily in their tracks.

Blue: Kind of an in-between tower, it does moderate cold damage as well as slowing monsters.

Red: A damage focused tower it does fire damage to all that it hits.

Actually originally that was the plan, but I eventually decided against it when I realized that would mean making all 3 (and more in the future) crystals available on every single map. It would make for some messy maps. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#6 Sandpirate

Sandpirate
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Ah I did not think about that. :lol:

More? :blink:

Is an area of effect tower still possible? You could still use crystals as ammunition. It wouldn't need to be a specific kind of crystal. At least not for the basic tower. Or you could have it use power (Like the firebolt tower) and then launch it as a spell instead of physically lobbing a crystal at enemies.

For the advanced towers that would remove the need for having all three types of crystals on a map and instead make it a case of needing to have researched the required technologies for each tower.

Or I guess you could make them different magical towers that you research or discover to unlock?

Edit/Add-on*  Or as an alternative it could use the same ammunition as the sling tower and throw a shower of stones for an area affect if that is more feasible? Crystal ammunition is still my favorite (I think there could be some cool particle effects of the crystals going off when they hit), but if stone would work better or be easier to implement I am all for that instead. Just suggestions though. Already really happy with the new towers we are already getting. :)

#7 Inchworm

Inchworm
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Actually originally that was the plan, but I eventually decided against it when I realized that would mean making all 3 (and more in the future) crystals available on every single map. It would make for some messy maps. :)

I personally like the idea of not having access to all the types of resources, or having the resources be spread out / not next to each other. Having each landing spot have access to the same types of resources means that people will usually go for the same build/strategy, and having different crystal types be far apart introduces a risk vs return element of extending out to grab the different resources

#8 Elementis

Elementis
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:sofiana
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Lots of new things \o/

Monsters will now spawn anywhere on the map that is not inside the village.

How will you determine if it's in the village ? By the construction area ?

Assistant buildings are really good, and I thought about two others buildings:

- Weapons room: a building when villagers can train themself to gain experience based on the fighting experience gain system.

- Forge: where you can craft some weapons with wood and stone to equip villagers, these weapons will give them a damage boost. And maybe later, some armour with metal ore (ressource to harvest) who will gave them some health.

It could work this way: a weapon or armor is forged, it will be stored, and a villager comes and takes the weapon or armor and gains one or two little icons in his status bar.

Bullet Tower - A fast shooting, low damage "machine gun" like tower that uses the same ammo as the sling tower, but can shoot over walls.

And shoot over the reinforced walls, correct ? Because actual towers don't shoot over these walls :/ Although, why ? oO

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

How will you determine if it's in the village ? By the construction area ?

If you mean the range map, yes! :)

They won't spawn anywhere that's "in range" of the village (The range map overlay that pops up when you try to place a new building)

Assistant buildings are really good, and I thought about two others buildings:
- Weapons room: a building when villagers can train themself to gain experience based on the fighting experience gain system.
- Forge: where you can craft some weapons with wood and stone to equip villagers, these weapons will give them a damage boost. And maybe later, some armour with metal ore (ressource to harvest) who will gave them some health.
It could work this way: a weapon or armor is forged, it will be stored, and a villager comes and takes the weapon or armor and gains one or two little icons in his status bar.

The Forge is already planned. Similarly to what you're describing. But it'll require a lot of other buildings/features I haven't added yet. Thus, it'll be a while before you see them. :)

Your idea for the Forge is actually going to be two different buildings, an Armor Smith and Weapon Smith. The Forge itself will be for creating ingots out of iron ore (found in rock randomly). So to make weapons or armor, you'd need a Mining Facility to mine the rock for iron, a Forge to turn the iron into ingots and a weapon or Armor/Weapon Smith to craft the ingots into equipment.

And shoot over the reinforced walls, correct ? Because actual towers don't shoot over these walls :/ Although, why ? oO

Yup, they will be able to. The current Sling tower actually rolls the rocks on the ground, thus why it can't shoot over walls. That's why the new tower is also being added, so you can have an alternative tower type that uses rock resources and can shoot over walls.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#10 Elementis

Elementis
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

If you mean the range map, yes! :)

They won't spawn anywhere that's "in range" of the village (The range map overlay that pops up when you try to place a new building)

Yes, it's what I mean :D But, maybe there is a problem with this system: if we cover the map with fire pits, monsters will not have the possibility to spawn, correct ? :/

The Forge is already planned.

Oh yay ! Excellent ! I thought about it but I didn't want to ask you too much to do x) I will waiting for :D

Yup, they will be able to. The current Sling tower actually rolls the rocks on the ground, thus why it can't shoot over walls. That's why the new tower is also being added, so you can have an alternative tower type that uses rock resources and can shoot over walls.

But actually, bow towers and fire bolt towers don't shoot over reinforced walls (wall stone [T3 walls]) too :/

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

Yes, it's what I mean :D But, maybe there is a problem with this system: if we cover the map with fire pits, monsters will not have the possibility to spawn, correct ? :/

In theory, yes. But the new spawn system also includes spawn points the monsters create themselves, it's virtually impossible to expand far enough to take over the map before there's too many spawns to handle it. You'd end up using all your resources in the effort and starving to death.

Hilariously enough, right now if you did manage to totally prevent all spawning on the entire map, the game would actually crash. But, in the future I'll probably throw in a fail safe of some kind, like if you somehow take over the entire map, the "you can't spawn here" flag gets overridden/ignored.

Although I don't think that will ever happen since eventually your maximum allowed buildings inside the village will be associated with upgrading your village center, and the absolute-maximum, while extremely high, wont be enough to cover the map with fire pits.

But actually, bow towers and fire bolt towers don't shoot over reinforced walls (wall stone [T3 walls]) too :/

Ah right, I was thinking just regular walls. Nothing can shoot over the large stone walls (nor is planned to). In the future they'll be your higher end defensive walls for areas you don't have towers.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#12 Elementis

Elementis
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:30 AM

But the new spawn system also includes spawn points the monsters create themselves,

Oh god ! All these elementals >< Ruuuun x) It's a good idea :D

But, in the future I'll probably throw in a fail safe of some kind, like if you somehow take over the entire map, the "you can't spawn here" flag gets overridden/ignored.

It could be a good thing :D

Although I don't think that will ever happen since eventually your maximum allowed buildings inside the village will be associated with upgrading your village center, and the absolute-maximum, while extremely high, wont be enough to cover the map with fire pits.

Oh, there is a maximum number of buildings *takes notes*

Thank you for all your answers ! :D

#13 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

Oh, there is a maximum number of buildings *takes notes*

Thank you for all your answers ! :D

Not yet! But soon. :)

It's actually going to be a game mechanic, the plan was to make the village center upgradable, from the scrappy little building it is now all the way into a towering castle.

Each upgrade will increase the maximum buildings, walls, and towers. As well as add more max workers and storage in the castle. The idea is the "Castle" is your central village support, and needs to be upgraded to be able to manage/maintain the ever-growing village and its population.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#14 Elementis

Elementis
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

I agree with you :D

But maybe it will be required to increase storages capacity because we can be "short" in buildings to survive to hard seasons :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users