4 replies to this topic - Started By Hexicube, Oct 09 2014 05:51 AM

#1 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

After playing the curent version a few times, I have some suggestions:

• Right-clicking but not dragging should do the same as ESC (deselect), it's a lot easier than reaching over to press ESC when you're already using the mouse.
  • Any building that hasn't been started should be cancellable (left-click, cancel in bottom window), just in case you misplaced it.
  • Any building in progress or completed should be able to be demolished ('stockpile' items yet to be applied should be returned, already applied materials should only be partially returned), useful for re-organising a village.
  • When a worker is at 0 happiness, they should still work at a reduced speed, usually I find they stop working on the house that would fix their problem causing their problem to persist much longer than it should.
  • Workers should pick what material to collect based on what is required, not based on the order you selected it, otherwise you end up with most of the workers mining stone when they need wood (or vice versa).
  • Workers should go to the nearest required material, instead of pathing all the way around a mountain for stone despite asking them to mine stone on the side they were on (you could probably modify the pathing algorithm you use to allow multiple targets and go to the first found one).
  • Farmers should be able to populate their farm using other farms or stockpile, not just wild sources, otherwise there's a finite cap on how many farms you can have and thus how big your village can get.
  • Food seems to take an eternity to grow, it feels like a farm (the big one) can provide for about 8 people when really it should be capable of 40 for balance reasons (or 36, so it's 3 large houses per large farm, and 3 people per carrot spot).
  • When a worker dies, villagers that aren't currently working should take their place, to reduce on the micromanagement. Also it's worth considering allowing workers to switch roles in the same circumstances if a lot of workers for one particular role die.
  • Mining stone is far too high pitched and 'vibrant', it would probably fit more to have a thud or just be toned down a bit.

#2 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

• Right-clicking but not dragging should do the same as ESC (deselect), it's a lot easier than reaching over to press ESC when you're already using the mouse.
  • Any building that hasn't been started should be cancellable (left-click, cancel in bottom window), just in case you misplaced it.
  • Any building in progress or completed should be able to be demolished ('stockpile' items yet to be applied should be returned, already applied materials should only be partially returned), useful for re-organising a village.
  • When a worker is at 0 happiness, they should still work at a reduced speed, usually I find they stop working on the house that would fix their problem causing their problem to persist much longer than it should.
  • Workers should pick what material to collect based on what is required, not based on the order you selected it, otherwise you end up with most of the workers mining stone when they need wood (or vice versa).
  • Workers should go to the nearest required material, instead of pathing all the way around a mountain for stone despite asking them to mine stone on the side they were on (you could probably modify the pathing algorithm you use to allow multiple targets and go to the first found one).
  • Farmers should be able to populate their farm using other farms or stockpile, not just wild sources, otherwise there's a finite cap on how many farms you can have and thus how big your village can get.
  • Food seems to take an eternity to grow, it feels like a farm (the big one) can provide for about 8 people when really it should be capable of 40 for balance reasons (or 36, so it's 3 large houses per large farm, and 3 people per carrot spot).
  • When a worker dies, villagers that aren't currently working should take their place, to reduce on the micromanagement. Also it's worth considering allowing workers to switch roles in the same circumstances if a lot of workers for one particular role die.
  • Mining stone is far too high pitched and 'vibrant', it would probably fit more to have a thud or just be toned down a bit.

If i can recall correctly from other threads, some of them are already being worked on and others are already done(in some way or another) in the next build that's not yet realeased

#3 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

If i can recall correctly from other threads, some of them are already being worked on and others are already done in the next build that's not yet realeased

I didn't find that much relating to what I suggested, except another list that had deleting buildings.

#4 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

I didn't find that much relating to what I suggested, except another list that had deleting buildings.

Let me think now, 

Workers should go to the nearest required material, instead of pathing all the way around a mountain for stone despite asking them to mine stone on the side they were on (you could probably modify the pathing algorithm you use to allow multiple targets and go to the first found one).

That i think is fixed or being fixed.

And i'm sure plenty of them are on his list to be done, like 

Mining stone is far too high pitched and 'vibrant', it would probably fit more to have a thud or just be toned down a bit.

That i'm going to guess is on the list but low priority.  

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Right-clicking to deselect:

Hmm, that could work. I'll have to play with it a bit to see though. Problem is I could see people deselecting things by accident constantly.

Canceling Building/Demolishing:

Already planned. Also going to set it up so you can demolish random objects on the map, like abandoned buildings you don't want, or random decorative objects, and other things.

Happiness:

Actually nothing in the code stops them from working at 0 happiness, but, they will stop working if their hunger or energy drops below 10, are you sure that wasn't what was happening?

Working harvesting priorities:

Yep, definitely need to refine how they collect resources. Problem is, there's cases where you want them to work first to last, and others where you want them to just fetch whatever s closest. So I need to strike up a balance or simply just add a toggle.

I actually wanted the builder's harvesting AI to work a little differently than the normal harvesters. The idea was that builders would only harvest  resources that are needed to build objects on the map, and they would refuse to harvest anything that they don't immediately need. That way they naturally will just go after only required materials, and it gives you more incentive to get a Lumber Mill or Stone Masonry up because those workers will gather regardless if the materials are actually needed.

Farming AI change:

That's on the list already.

Farm growth speed:

Yeah, the hunger/food mechanics are very out of whack at the moment. Food should be a pain to grow, but right now unless you get 5 or 6 farms going you're pretty much doomed once your population grows. I plan to adjust that.

Job switching:

That might actually annoy players though, because to get them to reproduce you have to play a balancing act between happy non-working villagers, and worker bees. Although it may be possible. I can fiddle with it in the future. You just have to be careful not to make things too automated, else the game gets boring. :)

Mining sound (all sounds really):

Pretty much all the sound effects are placeholders right now. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users