#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,925 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

Click here for help on accessing the Unstable branch!

We're getting really close to releasing InDev 18 Stable. This should be the last content geared Unstable release. I am going to transition into code cleanup, bug fixing and balancing until a stable build can be pushed out. This build adds a ton of tweaks, a new tower, a new mob, and a bunch of bug fixes! Let me know down in the comments what you think!

You may need to delete/recreate your profile if you discover you can't start new Skirmish maps!

You can report bugs over at the official website's Support and Bugs Forum, or on the Steam Discussion Board. :)

InDev 18 Unstable 5 Change Log
- Added color to the time of day. Now the sky will be tinted blue, yellow or orange depending on what time it is.
- Midnight has been renamed to Night.
- Dawn, Morning, Evening and Dusk are now shorter, but Night and Midday are longer.
- Added a progress bar to the clock, informing the player when the next time of day phase will begin.
- The next "day" is triggered at the end of Night, rather than the beginning when it was previously named Midnight.
- The days are slightly longer now.
- Main menu's background is now set to the user's system time again.
- You can no longer reset specific regions on the world map.
- New tower; The Sling tower. It will roll large stone balls on the ground, damaging anything in it's path.
- New building; The Rock Tumbler, used to create ammo for the new Sling Tower.
- Cleaned up the tips system to better match all the changes in InDev 18.
- Bowyers can no longer assist builders.
- Radiance pool now go into a "self repair mode" when damaged, consuming energy to recover hit points.
- Villagers are confused less often, and the effect is shorter.
- Fixed a bug that could cause mobs to get "stuck" on the player's mouse if they tried to drop them too quickly after picking them up.
- When a resource or mob is grabbed you now have 2 seconds before influence starts to be drained rather than it starting instantly.
- Mobs fade in/out faster when spawning or entering/exiting a building.
- Bow Tower's range and ammo have been increased.
- Towers can now hit any hostile target it comes in contact with, even if it's not the intended target.
- The Bow Tower and new Sling Tower now leave behind their projectiles after firing.
- Bow Towers and Fire Bolt tower can now fire over short walls and other objects.
- Mobs now automatically aggro when hit.
- The Fire Bolt Tower's projectile mechanics have been completely rewritten.
- Villagers are much more inclined to stay within the village's most developed areas.
- Villagers who wander outside the village will now be more inclined to go back home.
- Reduced the range of the Fire Pits
- Towers can no longer fire at anything unless they have an actual line of sight.
- Reduced amount of stun that's taken on damage.
- Rewrote how mobs move around on the map, giving a more accurate representation of their movement speed.
- Projectiles now run trajectory calculations, making them more accurate when hitting moving targets.
- Fixed a bug where new children would display the wrong name in the console when they were born.
- Redid the range map artwork when placing buildings.
- Monsters aggressiveness is now based on the time of day. Most monsters are extremely aggressive at night, and timid during the day.
- Fixed a bug in the refine code causing workers to not refine and deliver materials as often as they should.
- Made Ghosts three times more likely to appear.
- New mob; Specture. A ghost-like mob that's extremely slow moving, and will only spawn after day 4.
- Mobs walk off of blocked tiles faster now.
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes make mobs needlessly recalculate path finding when stuck.
- Fixed a bug that would make sleepy villagers or villagers trying to give birth try to find a "Safe place" on the wrong side of walls in dangerous areas.
- Fixed a bug where the "excite" icon when a mob is aggro'ed would only appear the first time the mob was ever aggro'ed.
- Optimized the aggro system a bit, making it slightly less response but more natural feeling.
- Tons of miscellaneous optimizing to decrease CPU usage across the game.

InDev 18 Unstable 4 Change Log
- New Bow Tower has been added, a mechanical tower that only cost basic resources to build (Rock and wood). But requires ammunition to fire.
- New Bowyer building has been added along with a new job, the Fletcher. The Fletcher can manufacture logs into arrows at the Bowyer building for use in the new Bow Tower.
- Reduced the cost of Sturdy Walls and Wood Walls to 2, and Stone Walls to 4.
- Cullis Gates now start to eject things at random when they're overloading.
- Radiance Pools no longer shoot projectiles at nearby mobs, instead they trigger an aura effect that affects everything in the area.
- Fixed a bug causing villagers to ignore their work chance flags, making them sometimes work themselves to death instead of finding homes, mates or just taking a break.
- Fixed a bug where workers would not stop working, even if their hunger or energy is too low.
- Workers are now less inclined to work, giving them more downtime to do other things.
- Increased villager chat rates.
- Increased the chance a villager will become a mate with another villager they are chatting with.
- Optimized the weather system, improving frame rates during intense weather and adding more efficient particle generation based on the game's zoom level.
- Improved the overall rendering and update speeds of the particle system.
- Fixed an issue with particle generation on the object icon overlays, causing them to generate particles even if they were off-screen.
- Large Storage Building now displays everything it is allowed to store rather than just the first few on the list.
- Mob's tile coordinates are now displayed in debug mode.
- Reversed the tile variance changes from Unstable 3, they were sometimes causing coordinate positioning problems.
- Added missing shadow and collision maps for the new Ancient Cullis Gate and Ancient Radiance Pools.
- Improved the search algorithms for all objects and mobs in the game, slightly increasing the overall speed of many of the game mechanics.

Known Issues that will be resolved before the stable build
- You can send villagers and resources to Limbo in Skirmish mode. This should not be allowed.
- If your world map data is obsolete or otherwise unusable, sometimes you may not be able to start a new Skirmish game. To fix this, just reset the world map or create a new profile.
Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 Mjukje

Mjukje
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Mjukje
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

- New tower; The Sling tower. It will roll large stone balls on the ground, damaging anything in it's path.
- New building; The Rock Tumbler, used to create ammo for the new Sling Tower.
- When a resource or mob is grabbed you now have 2 seconds before influence starts to be drained rather than it starting instantly.
- Villagers are much more inclined to stay within the village's most developed areas.
- Villagers who wander outside the village will now be more inclined to go back home.

We ask and Ray develops  :D

- Monsters aggressiveness is now based on the time of day. Most monsters are extremely aggressive at night, and timid during the day.

Hehehe very nice! That will make surviving the night a thrill  ^_^

Can't wait to try out the new mechanics when i get home tonight, 2 more hours of work  :wacko:

#3 Inchworm

Inchworm
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Pip

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

Well I finally got some time to try it. 

Alright, this update has been a large step forward to TD-dom. Optimum play is now to build a maze of walls, with towers lining the sides of the maze. It kinda reminds of the superstition of building mazes to confuse evil spirits.

I actually liked the old arrow towers. They felt low-tech, crude, and almost desperate - appropriate for first defences. The accuracy and range of the new towers feels too good and professional to get right off the bat. I imagine the range was buffed so that it could better shoot into mazes. I'd suggest keep the old stats, but make the tower upgradeable to it's current version. Perhaps the upgrade would require some refined resources or something similar.

The slinger towers: I can't say too much about them, as they ended up not being used very much; By the time I got them, I already had the bow towers and walls set up. They effectively function as a 'last resort' tower at the end of the maze. They'd probably be more useful at the mouth of the maze, before the large groups are pared down to size, but they worked well enough as 'last resort' towers in the end-game. I do like them as a bridge from bow towers to fireball towers for sure, though (in the middle game I guess).

I liked how shooting over the walls meant that the ammo peoples didn't have to get bogged down in combat

The building placement indicators: Nice! Much easier to tell what's blocking a building from being placed now.

Since the mazes of walls are long for both the enemies and your villagers, i'd suggest putting in a gate building that allows villagers through but not mobs; so constructing extra things outside of the maze doesn't mean the villagers have to go through the maze to get there and back. 

I saw a ghost! And Resurrected him! Twice! The first  time it was a dead hero unit, but he didn't revive as a hero. Oh well.

I do like that they were kind enough to stay around all night as well; the resurrection spell is mighty expensive and it took some time to get enough influence for it.

Radiance pools seem to have been buffed. I saw to my surprise a level 2 level 3 level 4 child.

Birth rates seem to have been buffed. I managed to have more than double my starting population by the time I stopped.

As a whole, the game is more 'comfy' now; I've easily gotten to day 20, with the most difficult parts being the ~4-6th day before all the walls are up, and whenever I tried to extend the maze. 

When you introduced the specture, I first assumed it'd be a unit that can somewhat ignore walls. I was thinking it might be interesting for some flying units to be able to do that; rabid birds perhaps. Actually I think I just like the idea of birds in general.

It currently doesn't seem too different from a skeleton or zombie, though the aspect of it and the messy 'blood' are kinda neat.

Grab tool holding cost delay: yes. I don't feel like I have to rush it as much, and can aim it a bit better. It's still difficult to place on single tile structures like walls though

Rain: Is it me, or does the rain seem to keep moving sideways for a fraction of a second after you stop sidescrolling?

Nighttime: The increased activity and blueish light give nighttime a more distinctive feeling to nighttime. Before golems come into play and villagers are nerfed a bit, it'd be nice to have a way to easily stop construction and activity on outside things so my villagers aren't starting fights when the monsters are active.

A couple times a villager decided to take a slight stroll, and go through all the maze and all the way back up on the other side of the wall in the name of wandering. It didn't bother me much, but it seemed weird. Perhaps a sanity check to compare path distance to direct-line distance when wandering?

Lots of stuff and fixes in this update; I approve.

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,925 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:05 AM

Well I finally got some time to try it.

.. and a little late, but I got some time to reply! :)

Alright, this update has been a large step forward to TD-dom. Optimum play is now to build a maze of walls, with towers lining the sides of the maze. It kinda reminds of the superstition of building mazes to confuse evil spirits.

Yeah, personally I'm really loving the new mechanics too. It really adds a lot of new strategy elements to the game.

I actually liked the old arrow towers. They felt low-tech, crude, and almost desperate - appropriate for first defences. The accuracy and range of the new towers feels too good and professional to get right off the bat. I imagine the range was buffed so that it could better shoot into mazes. I'd suggest keep the old stats, but make the tower upgradeable to it's current version. Perhaps the upgrade would require some refined resources or something similar.

Honestly you'll probably see the old towers come back eventually, in a sense. Right now since towers can't be upgraded they have to be somewhat decent for a majority of the game play. The old towers were great for a time but became mostly useless after a while. The new ones hold out a bit longer.

In the future you'll be able to upgrade them (and the other towers) to improve their firing rates, damage, accuracy, etc. When that happens the existing "baseline" towers will probably also get nerfed. (But a 'fully upgraded' version would also be substantially stronger than what we have now).

The slinger towers: I can't say too much about them, as they ended up not being used very much; By the time I got them, I already had the bow towers and walls set up. They effectively function as a 'last resort' tower at the end of the maze. They'd probably be more useful at the mouth of the maze, before the large groups are pared down to size, but they worked well enough as 'last resort' towers in the end-game. I do like them as a bridge from bow towers to fireball towers for sure, though (in the middle game I guess).

I have to agree, while they're strong towers I couldn't find many scenarios where I actually needed them. I also use them as last resort towers, but I typically have a strong enough defense the last resort sling towers never fire a shot.

But, as more mobs are added that can somehow or another bypass walls they'll probably be more handy. For now I'm leaving them as-is, even if they arent used much there's not much reason to remove them. Possibly during InDev 19 I'll toss in another stone-based tower that can shoot over walls, that way you have alternative towers that use the same ammo.

Since the mazes of walls are long for both the enemies and your villagers, i'd suggest putting in a gate building that allows villagers through but not mobs; so constructing extra things outside of the maze doesn't mean the villagers have to go through the maze to get there and back.

Certainly planned. :)

Radiance pools seem to have been buffed. I saw to my surprise a level 2 level 3 level 4 child.

Actually didn't change them at all, but children do share some of their parents stats (They get one forth of each parent's stats). So what you probably say were kids that were the product of some high level parents. :)

Birth rates seem to have been buffed. I managed to have more than double my starting population by the time I stopped.

Yep. Although the just-released patch makes it a bit harder again. I haven't changed any of the reproduction mechanics, but the seasons system messes with their overall happiness, and thus, reproduction rates. :)

When you introduced the specture, I first assumed it'd be a unit that can somewhat ignore walls. I was thinking it might be interesting for some flying units to be able to do that; rabid birds perhaps. Actually I think I just like the idea of birds in general.
It currently doesn't seem too different from a skeleton or zombie, though the aspect of it and the messy 'blood' are kinda neat.

Wall scaling/ignoring/passing through mobs are planned (and ethereal mobs like spectures and ghosts will get modified). I just have to modify the path finding system first, it doesn't understand the concept of outright ignoring blocked tiles except when doing "brute force" path finding, and that path finding factors in movement costs of the blocked tiles. I need to write a system that totally ignores blocked tiles and movement costs. It's not anything hard, just hasn't happened yet. :)

Rain: Is it me, or does the rain seem to keep moving sideways for a fraction of a second after you stop sidescrolling?

You're probably seeing the particle generation culling. The rain (and now snow) only generate on the screen, so if you zip around really fast you can outpace the generation rate.

Nighttime: The increased activity and blueish light give nighttime a more distinctive feeling to nighttime. Before golems come into play and villagers are nerfed a bit, it'd be nice to have a way to easily stop construction and activity on outside things so my villagers aren't starting fights when the monsters are active.

You could pause the buildings/walls under construction, but I agree. Although I'm not sure what a good solution would be because the players might get annoyed if production automatically stopped and a "stop everything" would probably be mostly useless since you don't want to waste time you could be doing something else within the village.

A couple times a villager decided to take a slight stroll, and go through all the maze and all the way back up on the other side of the wall in the name of wandering. It didn't bother me much, but it seemed weird. Perhaps a sanity check to compare path distance to direct-line distance when wandering?

There was a bug (Now fixed as of today's patch) that would trick up the walking selection mechanics.

But there is a few rare situations the villagers still try to go for a stroll, the biggest cause is the combat assist AI and the hero/guard AI causing an annoying situation where a hero will trigger to attack something on the other side (or outside) the village, and once he enters combat mode other villagers near him rise up to come and assist. The hero might get distracted along the way, but the people assisting him didn't. So they appear they're just wandering outside the village for no-damned-good-reason, even if the target the hero was attacking died.

Glad you're enjoying the latest patch (Well, second to latest now!). Hopefully the newest one is even better. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users