More Suggestions!
3 replies to this topic - Started By WildInstinct, Feb 11 2016 02:02 AM

#1 WildInstinct

WildInstinct
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

This will probably just be the first of a few suggestions posts that I will be making to help out as much as I can.

First thing is about the area coloring. The colors for where you can and can't build are a bit too light (to me anyways) and not entirely sure what the color between the two is supposed to mean.

Another thing would be the hovering system. You may or may not have done it on purpose, but the amount of time it takes for the name to pop up for something you're hovering over, is a bit long in my opinion. I've played games where it would only take about 2-4 seconds to pop up, yet with this it takes about 6-7. This is really for the people first playing the game, because I know when I first started, I couldn't figure out the difference between crystals and food because it was taking so long (I honestly thought the game didn't have this mechanic for a bit).

The amount of time it takes for the villagers to get into homes seems to take a little bit, sometimes not even happening, so not sure if this is really an issue. If not, then could you explain how you would normally fix this ingame?

Last thing for this post might be more of a question. Not entirely sure how the food is supposed to be working or what the hunger/energy are out of (100 maybe?). All I know is that for about 50 people, I had roughly 100 food and yet the hunger and energy numbers were both around 55.

Hope this helps and please check back to this often, will keep the posts coming!

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,874 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:14 AM

First thing is about the area coloring. The colors for where you can and can't build are a bit too light (to me anyways) and not entirely sure what the color between the two is supposed to mean.

I agree, I need to do something about them. The problem is if I up the opacity too high than you can't see what's behind the grid. One idea I'm tossing around is just removing the green grid all together, and making the yellow and red a lot more opaque, that way when you bring up the grid you clearly see the blocked.

Another thing would be the hovering system. You may or may not have done it on purpose, but the amount of time it takes for the name to pop up for something you're hovering over, is a bit long in my opinion. I've played games where it would only take about 2-4 seconds to pop up, yet with this it takes about 6-7. This is really for the people first playing the game, because I know when I first started, I couldn't figure out the difference between crystals and food because it was taking so long (I honestly thought the game didn't have this mechanic for a bit).

Oddly enough, I increased the tool tip delay after numerous complaints it "got in the way". I plan to add a delay timer setting soon though.

The amount of time it takes for the villagers to get into homes seems to take a little bit, sometimes not even happening, so not sure if this is really an issue. If not, then could you explain how you would normally fix this ingame?

They usually look for homes when they have some downtime. If your guys are taking a while to find a place to live, you might just be overworking them and not giving them enough time. A quick fix if you have a whole bunch of homeless workers (and the space to house them) would be to just pause all your work buildings 1 or 2 minutes, and they'll quickly find a home.

Last thing for this post might be more of a question. Not entirely sure how the food is supposed to be working or what the hunger/energy are out of (100 maybe?). All I know is that for about 50 people, I had roughly 100 food and yet the hunger and energy numbers were both around 55.

That's actually not a bad place to be. The hunger and energy levels are just the total villager's average. You probably had a lot of hungry or sleepy villagers around the 20-30 threshold who have their needs met, they just haven't gotten around to going home to eat or sleep. It's also possible if you had a few homeless villagers (Due to what you said above) that were floating around the 10 or 20~ range because they had no where to go home to.

It's actually not a big deal if your averages are low, as long as when they do need some food or rest, they have a place to go. The problems start popping up when people are forced to sleep outside or begin to starve. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,874 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:29 AM

Also to add, since I missed it;

The yellow grid is areas villagers can walk on, but you can't place objects on like over top of the tiles (flowers, crystals, etc). where as red is completely blocked places (rocks and trees). It's really somewhat useless data, but it's mainly just because the code is an offshoot of the grid in the map editor where the different colors are more useful. When it comes to placing objects in play mode though it's not really important.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 Inchworm

Inchworm
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

One idea I'm tossing around is just removing the green grid all together, and making the yellow and red a lot more opaque, that way when you bring up the grid you clearly see the blocked.

Yes. 

Though if you add the 'autoremove obstructing terrain' feature, it's less of an issue, unless you're trying to build on lava, water, or another building

Also maybe give the building a small/faint footprint outline when placing or when selected, to easily see where the boundaries are.

Also, hijacking with another small suggestion:

The building list: Often lots of the same type of building will be placed near-time to each other. This shows up as 1-2 pages of 'wooden wall'.

Instead, group same buildings together in a expandable folder with a '+' next it, like in some file folder explorers

I had some other small suggestion that was obviated by 18 dev 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graphics, artstyle, gameplay, mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users