• Please log in to reply
Usability and information (and some misc.)
6 replies to this topic - Started By Compulsive Blade, Oct 08 2014 02:20 PM

#1 Compulsive Blade

Compulsive Blade
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Here are my suggestions for increased usability and information. Based off of my experiences with the alpha these would greatly improve my enjoyment of the game.

Usability:

- Demolish structures that are built/being built and get a return of 50 percent of invested materials.

- Cancel structures that have not been started being built yet at no cost.

- Wall creation should be line based, hold and drag to create a wall, click to place a single wall section.

- It would be nice to have the ability to re-name structures

Information:

- Tooltips should be displayed while hovering over items in the right menu, giving a brief description and required building materials

- a tooltip showing total required materials should be displayed to the right of the cursor when building structures, particularly walls or other bulk production tiles.

- Villager info boxes should include detailed information on their current task:

- For example:

When delivering material x: "delivering <material x> to <building name>"

"Gathering/Mining <material z>" "Sleeping" "Visiting <villager name>" "dawdling about" etc.

Misc.:

- Farmers should bring food to a food stockpile, if there is one available, and allow the food haulers to distribute the food.

Also, have you thought of having a system whereby heavily travelled land will wear down into gravel/dirt/etc.? This would allow the village to develop a very realistic and organic road system.

Thanks for your time!

#2 Dragonisser

Dragonisser
  • Members
  • 154 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Dragonisser
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

I like the last idea most, because it reminds of the settlers :D

#3 FICHEKK

FICHEKK
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Those ideas are really nice! I am only not sure for the last one because my people seem to run in all directions, so everything in my village would be dirt/gravel, which I don't really want. If it was made into an option that you can turn on/off, then sure!

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Here are my suggestions for increased usability and information. Based off of my experiences with the alpha these would greatly improve my enjoyment of the game.

Usability:
- Demolish structures that are built/being built and get a return of 50 percent of invested materials.

- Cancel structures that have not been started being built yet at no cost.

- Wall creation should be line based, hold and drag to create a wall, click to place a single wall section.

All of these are planned already. :)

It's a simple enough feature to add, just curious why you want to?

Information:

- Tooltips should be displayed while hovering over items in the right menu, giving a brief description and required building materials

- a tooltip showing total required materials should be displayed to the right of the cursor when building structures, particularly walls or other bulk production tiles.

- Villager info boxes should include detailed information on their current task:

- For example:

When delivering material x: "delivering <material x> to <building name>"

"Gathering/Mining <material z>" "Sleeping" "Visiting <villager name>" "dawdling about" etc.

Also all of these are already on the list, in one way or another. :)

- Farmers should bring food to a food stockpile, if there is one available, and allow the food haulers to distribute the food.

Food haulers should be distributing the food? Although they can only distribute food that's in their own building, making them mostly useless since they can only store food that they find on the ground!

The food storage building is a bit broken right now, since the only way they can really collect food to store is if they find it on the ground. They won't go collect it from the Farms like they should be. Eventually my plan was to have the Haulers go pickup food from the farms and return it to the storage, then take it from storage and deliver it to the houses, making them a sort of extra-help in the delivery side, leaving more time for the farmers to farm.

Alternatively, I've been considering just removing the food storage building entirely, and just allowing farms to hold more food and have a few more workers.

Also, have you thought of having a system whereby heavily travelled land will wear down into gravel/dirt/etc.? This would allow the village to develop a very realistic and organic road system.

.. that .. is also already planned? Get out of my head!

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Compulsive Blade

Compulsive Blade
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

It's a simple enough feature to add, just curious why you want to?

It's just a layer of user customizability, The more control I have over my village the more I'll become attached to it.

And logistically, the more and more you build it will become vital to section off districts so you at least know where everything is.

Food haulers should be distributing the food? Although they can only distribute food that's in their own building, making them mostly useless since they can only store food that they find on the ground!

The food storage building is a bit broken right now, since the only way they can really collect food to store is if they find it on the ground. They won't go collect it from the Farms like they should be. Eventually my plan was to have the Haulers go pickup food from the farms and return it to the storage, then take it from storage and deliver it to the houses, making them a sort of extra-help in the delivery side, leaving more time for the farmers to farm.

Alternatively, I've been considering just removing the food storage building entirely, and just allowing farms to hold more food and have a few more workers.

Ahh, I was under the impression that it was some sort of granary system as you said.

It should speed up the food economy. I think there might be potential for bottlenecking but the solution would either be 1: make another granary (or upgrade? and have more workers?) or 2: don't make a granary, forcing the farmers to follow their current AI and distribute the food themselves.

I don't think it should be removed.

.. that .. is also already planned? Get out of my head!

Mwahaha, there are just too many good ideas there!

Anyways, thanks for reading my post and commenting back! Sorry for suggesting features that were already planned, I kind of rushed this and didn't check facts.

#6 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

Anyways, thanks for reading my post and commenting back! Sorry for suggesting features that were already planned, I kind of rushed this and didn't check facts.

No worries, most of what you suggested isn't really formally announced yet anyway, so a good amount of it is either buried somewhere in posts, or just not really known yet. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#7 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

No worries, most of what you suggested isn't really formally announced yet anyway, so a good amount of it is either buried somewhere in posts, or just not really known yet. :)

There isn't a single thread i'm not aware of, nothing shall be buried for me, unless of course this forum gets so many people my mind blow's up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users