5 replies to this topic - Started By reddragon64, Oct 29 2015 10:16 AM

#1 reddragon64

reddragon64
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • Pip

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

I was thinking about the new art update. And my opinion is just that i didn’t like the new look. But what i’ve we can choose the look in-game by the options. So that you can choose the old look(the look what we have now)and the new look.

thanks

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,879 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

I was thinking about the new art update. And my opinion is just that i didn’t like the new look. But what i’ve we can choose the look in-game by the options. So that you can choose the old look(the look what we have now)and the new look.

thanks

Sadly, that won't be possible. While on a technical level I can easily have a toggle that switches between the two tilesets, it would also force me to have to draw both tilesets. That would drastically slow down development since even an old 8x8 terrain can take 4-6 hours to complete, and a new 16x16 terrain can take about 8 or so depending on the complexity. (and buildings usually take most of the day!)

There's also the problem with the art limitations that 8x8 gives me, and the main cause of switching to 16x16. If I had to draw a 8x8 version alongside all the new 16x16 artwork there's some tilesets, resources and mob types I simply just couldn't realistically replicate at such a low resolution. :(

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 reddragon64

reddragon64
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • Pip

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hi, 

My second thing is can you maybe add a free dlc that have the old style.

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,879 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hi, 

My second thing is can you maybe add a free dlc that have the old style.

That would still be the same problem. :D

If I did it though, I wouldn't make it DLC, it would just be patched straight into the game and be a toggle like you were originally suggesting. But any plans to do anything like that would have to be after the game is completed.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the new res as well, but I totally agree that re-drawing everything would be a huge waste of time. 

Coming from a person who plays Aurora and Dwarf Fortress, I really couldn't care less about graphics at this point  :D

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

#6 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

I'm sure the 16x16 tile-set would look better on your own computer. Personally, i think the 16x16 update will make things better, because the limitations are (mostly) removed. And that's exciting! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users