6 replies to this topic - Started By Balkep, Sep 27 2014 10:31 PM

#1 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hey there,

I've been thinking about the custom maps and here's a couple of ideas that may be interesting:

• Gameplay Mutators
    • Act like global rules for a specific map and are selected by the map maker from a predefined pool;
    • Their main goal is to make maps more challenging by introducing certain restrictions;
    • Examples of Mutators:
      • Wild plants are poisonous (so you are forced to run them through farms at least once, or your villagers will die);
      • Wasteland (farms produce no food);
      • No natural healing (if villagers lose health they can't regenerate it naturally, but maybe through other means like potions, etc);
      • No children (have to survive with your initial villagers);
      • Curse (random villagers turn into werewolves, -bears, etc every now and then);
      • Weakness (villagers have to sleep twice as often);
      • Clumsiness (villagers have no idea how to build anything, but can repair buildings);
      • Evil army (aggressive mobs' spawn rate is doubled);
      • Endless evil (places that spawn mobs - dens, dungeons, etc - restore over time if they were destroyed);
    • There can be positive Mutators as well:
      • Alpha Team (every villager is gifted);
      • Ethereal (villagers are never hungry);
      • Agile (villagers move and build twice as fast);
      • Banishers (aggressive mobs do not spawn naturally, but must be placed by the map maker instead or spawned via dens, dungeons, caves, etc);
    • The idea of positive Mutators is to allow certain kinds of maps - for example a Siege map, when you have a prebuilt castle you have to defend from multiple waves of enemies and you don't want players to get distracted by food management (Mutators in this case: Evil army, Clumsiness, Ethereal).
  • Goals
    • Define what is considered to be a victory;
    • Examples:
      • Eliminate all mobs;
      • Survive for X amount of hours/days/etc;
      • Have this many villagers: X;
      • Fill X percent of land with your buildings;
      • Get X amount of gifted villagers;
      • Reach X destination;
      • Destroy X building;

When combined, Mutators and Goals can help to create diversity in maps. For example, you can have Puzzle maps, when your village is surrounded by mountains and has limited resources, so you have to choose where to go next to keep your villagers alive. The map may look like a series of open spots surrounded by mountains with a final destination.

#2 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

I like it, Shouldn't weakness make them do less damage? or both? 

And the plants one... but you can't control villagers, how to make them NOT go on them? 

Also i like this idea because it would make map making a more custom thing and make it feel so much, well so much more yours. Would be cool to mess around with, But at this rate rays going to have a load of stuff to do, i'm not sure if he's going to have to time to read every suggestion and every forum thread, people will have to get used to him being busy one day, One day he won't talk to his players as much as he'd like to, because he has no time, He's not going to that dark side of dev and hates everybody, he's always going to be the one who made it but i hope everyone realizes, (not saying everyone will) that he's going to get very busy, one man on a game is hard. And he has a life with a game and forums i think we can all understand will be hard, I'm not speaking for him i just don't want people to get angry at him for not replying to everyones thread. :) I'll always have time so i'll always post on these random things :D

#3 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

And the plants one... but you can't control villagers, how to make them NOT go on them?

Well, you can build farms first and harvest the precise amount of carrots you need for the farms to get filled, but not enough to carry extra to the houses :)

I'll always have time so i'll always post on these random things  :D

:)

#4 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well, you can build farms first and harvest the precise amount of carrots you need for the farms to get filled, but not enough to carry extra to the houses :)

I'll always have time so i'll always post on these random things  :D

:)

I see, i suppose it would work. like the disease for potatoes... Although that's not really bad for humans, i think.  

#5 zblu64

zblu64
  • Staff
  • 104 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:zblu64
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Cool ideas Balkep!

You can't get there from here

#6 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

I like the ideas, a lot of them really won't be too hard to add either. ;)

I'll put it on the "maybe" pile to play with in the future after the game is closer to complete.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#7 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

Cool ideas Balkep!

Glad you like them ;)

I like the ideas, a lot of them really won't be too hard to add either. ;)

I'll put it on the "maybe" pile to play with in the future after the game is closer to complete.

Yeah, I'm trying to suggest something not too massive, something doable for 1 developer :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mutators, goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users