#1 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

So i was only wondering but what's the deal with modding? WIll it be like minecraft where modding isn't(not anymore) supposed to be supported but people find their way around or is it going to support modding?

In another way of saying, wIll it support modding?

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

I haven't decided yet!

I don't plan to really officially support modding right now, aside from making maps of course, but I am considering releasing the source code with the game. So the more savvy people can play around with the code and make mods.

Since it's a java game, it's nearly impossible to keep the source code out of people's hands (thus, why MC has so many mods). So I figure it's probably best just to give people the source code with the game instead of make them play around with decompilers. ;)

But proper official support, with an API? Probably not. But with the source code in-hand thats not a big deal. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I haven't decided yet!

I don't plan to really officially support modding right now, aside from making maps of course, but I am considering releasing the source code with the game. So the more savvy people can play around with the code and make mods.

Since it's a java game, it's nearly impossible to keep the source code out of people's hands (thus, why MC has so many mods). So I figure it's probably best just to give people the source code with the game instead of make them play around with decompilers. ;)

But proper official support, with an API? Probably not. But with the source code in-hand thats not a big deal. :)

Yayatayayayay... Not anyone In This world doesn't like source code :3 and I agree. Whatever you do in java someone will find a way. Like nodus, that's a remake of all of minecrafts jar file. And here's the thing, I have tis strange thing for settings I games, yes I mean just like the thing you press in the main menu, the more thins the happier I am but source code? Who needs settings lemme at it :D

And excuse any spelling errors. Not using my PC right now. If you put source code out, I don't believe you need to worry about modding, just make the normal terms like if anything happens to the game or PC it's not your fault and copy right the game and I think all would be fine I think. Don't want to pressure you into deciding to put the source code out but it would be nice :)

Just realize the amount of typos... Damn ipod.

#4 UberPilot

UberPilot
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:superpilot99
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

If you are able, it would be nice (though it would be very different) to have a system like Starbound's modding system. All you do is edit some .json files (they use .json formatting, but are renamed to things like .tile), and you can easily add new tools, tiles, and furniture to the game. I don't know much about creating games, but if it is possible to do something like that, it would open many windows.

#5 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

If you are able, it would be nice (though it would be very different) to have a system like Starbound's modding system. All you do is edit some .json files (they use .json formatting, but are renamed to things like .tile), and you can easily add new tools, tiles, and furniture to the game. I don't know much about creating games, but if it is possible to do something like that, it would open many windows.

Like he said up there, he probably won't, but there might be source code. If he releases source code then we could mod anything we want in it so technically if he does that, there's no need to do it starbounds way but i may be wrong.

#6 UberPilot

UberPilot
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:superpilot99
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Like he said up there, he probably won't, but there might be source code. If he releases source code then we could mod anything we want in it so technically if he does that, there's no need to do it starbounds way but i may be wrong.

I think that this is based on SixtyGig's engine. In some of his original videos, he talked about how

Most of the game data is handled external to the code, so a ton of the game is "tweakable". In theory, an expert in how the engine works could make his own little addition to the game in the future based on the current direction development is going.

[Source]

This is very close to how Starbound's engine works, at least currently. Is this still in the engine or has it been removed? If it's been removed, could it be added back? Starbound's modding community is huge, and I am part of it. I know very little about coding, but I can mod that game. This game seems like it could use something like that.

Also, in response to Rayvolution,

Since it's a java game, it's nearly impossible to keep the source code out of people's hands (thus, why MC has so many mods). So I figure it's probably best just to give people the source code with the game instead of make them play around with decompilers.

I already have the source code ;)

#7 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

I think that this is based on SixtyGig's engine. In some of his original videos, he talked about how

[Source]

This is very close to how Starbound's engine works, at least currently. Is this still in the engine or has it been removed? If it's been removed, could it be added back? Starbound's modding community is huge, and I am part of it. I know very little about coding, but I can mod that game. This game seems like it could use something like that.

Actually It's only parts are based on SixtyGig's code. Mainly the sprite animation, blood, collision detection, settings system and a few other minor things. But really, RPC has evolved so far beyond that it's it's own little thing now. For example, originally they both used the same tile engine, but since then I've completely rewritten it. :)

But, unlike SixtyGig, it doesnt use external files to edit game data, RPC's code really just isn't setup to work the same way. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#8 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

[Source]

I have not played starbound  in a very long time, But i suppose your right.

... decompiler? 

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:23 AM

... decompiler? 

In Java you can "Decompile" a source code. Java's source is no where near as secure as say, C++. That's why so many Minecraft Mods exist even though the Minecraft source code technically has never been released.

That's why I'm just going to release the source with the game, because those of you who want to mod are going to do it anyway - so why make it harder for no reason?

Rise to Ruins Developer

#10 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

In Java you can "Decompile" a source code. Java's source is no where near as secure as say, C++. That's why so many Minecraft Mods exist even though the Minecraft source code technically has never been released.

That's why I'm just going to release the source with the game, because those of you who want to mod are going to do it anyway - so why make it harder for no reason?

Some people believe modding is bad, and should not be allowed so some might say a reason not to is because its wrong, you don't so it's all good :)

Also doesn't decompiling take a long time sometimes and sometimes not work right? depending on how big the games is? I've only decompiled a thing once and that was because it was a friends, and he was taking too long when he said "i'll show you then code" it took him many hours and it was only like 20 lines :P it was a minecraft plugin...

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Some people believe modding is bad, and should not be allowed so some might say a reason not to is because its wrong, you don't so it's all good :)

Also doesn't decompiling take a long time sometimes and sometimes not work right? depending on how big the games is? I've only decompiled a thing once and that was because it was a friends, and he was taking too long when he said "i'll show you then code" it took him many hours and it was only like 20 lines :P it was a minecraft plugin...

Today's decompilers work almost all the time, but the problem isnt so much the process. It's actually fairly easy to do, it's what the source code looks like.

For example, variables names are all wrong, and the code is hard to read. Something like this for example:

protected void moveEntityEast(){
        position = "East";
        if (collision.checkCollision(getEntityX()+2, getEntityY(), collisionImage)){
            canMoveEast=false;
        }else{
            canMoveEast=true;
        }
        if(canMoveEast()){
            canMoveReset();
            if (hasResource){
                entityX += speed*.80f;
            }else{
                entityX += speed;
            }
        }
    }

May look like this decompiled: (Well not really, but something close to this. I just wrote in gibberish for the variable names)

protected void a(){
        u = "East";
        if (collision.s(g()+2, z(), aa)){
            abb=false;
        }else{
            abb=true;
        }
        if(zg()){
            hhz();
            if (h){
                eX += b*.80f;
            }else{
                eS += b;
            }
        }
    }

So, having the original source is a very handy tool, you don't have to guess what all the gibberish is. That's usually the annoying part. :P

Rise to Ruins Developer

#12 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Today's decompilers work almost all the time, but the problem isnt so much the process. It's actually fairly easy to do, it's what the source code looks like.

For example, variables names are all wrong, and the code is hard to read. Something like this for example:

protected void moveEntityEast(){
        position = "East";
        if (collision.checkCollision(getEntityX()+2, getEntityY(), collisionImage)){
            canMoveEast=false;
        }else{
            canMoveEast=true;
        }
        if(canMoveEast()){
            canMoveReset();
            if (hasResource){
                entityX += speed*.80f;
            }else{
                entityX += speed;
            }
        }
    }

May look like this decompiled: (Well not really, but something close to this. I just wrote in gibberish for the variable names)

protected void a(){
        u = "East";
        if (collision.s(g()+2, z(), aa)){
            abb=false;
        }else{
            abb=true;
        }
        if(zg()){
            hhz();
            if (h){
                eX += b*.80f;
            }else{
                eS += b;
            }
        }
    }

So, having the original source is a very handy tool, you don't have to guess what all the gibberish is. That's usually the annoying part. :P

I see, you are doing the right thing giving us the source code :)

come to the dark side of indie dev ray ;)

#13 Dragonisser

Dragonisser
  • Members
  • 154 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Dragonisser
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

Wow that sounds nice. I think the first i will do when the source code is out, i will try to make my mod in made for Minecraft in Rpc :D

Or start with easy things like food, more tiles, etc :3

#14 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Wow that sounds nice. I think the first i will do when the source code is out, i will try to make my mod in made for Minecraft in Rpc :D

Or start with easy things like food, more tiles, etc :3

I'm planning on just trying to add tile sets at first, But i don't want to go out of the theme so yeah.

#15 Tobit

Tobit
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

The source code will be very nice!

Thanks for supporting mods.

Maybe it can be useful to create a GIT repository.

So every new mod can be a fork of the original source code and, maybe, a mod can merge with the "official" version.

Only a idea...

#16 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

The source code will be very nice!

Thanks for supporting mods.

Maybe it can be useful to create a GIT repository.

So every new mod can be a fork of the original source code and, maybe, a mod can merge with the "official" version.

Only a idea...

I actually had this idea, but then people who don't own the game could get at it. Since then, I've suggested that the source could be a free 'DLC' for the game, which would put the burden of management on steam instead.

#17 Dragonisser

Dragonisser
  • Members
  • 154 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Dragonisser
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

I actually had this idea, but then people who don't own the game could get at it. Since then, I've suggested that the source could be a free 'DLC' for the game, which would put the burden of management on steam instead.

Thats what he is going to do ^^

#18 zblu64

zblu64
  • Staff
  • 104 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:zblu64
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

I am just planning on getting it from one of the torrent sites that already has the game cracked :-)

You can't get there from here

#19 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

Thats what he is going to do ^^

Either that or just stick it in the main game download and everyone will have it automatically. :)

Although having it as free DLC would probably be better to organize, kind like downloading a "dev pack". Guess we'll see what makes sense when I get to that point. ;)

I also need to workout a reasonable way to bring you guys unstable builds without having to fandangle "Beta" access on Steam. I'd rather you all just have access to it automatically. A thought I had was just have the unstable and stable builds both included in the download, and when you launched the game you picked the version you wanted to use.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#20 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

I am just planning on getting it from one of the torrent sites that already has the game cracked :-)

Demotion!

Just kidding. ;)

#21 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

I also need to workout a reasonable way to bring you guys unstable builds without having to fandangle "Beta" access on Steam. I'd rather you all just have access to it automatically. A thought I had was just have the unstable and stable builds both included in the download, and when you launched the game you picked the version you wanted to use.

The beta system isn't that bad, or at least it seems to be that way. It's a 5-second download (for most people) to switch out the currently 4MB core jar (maybe a few assets too) and another 5 seconds for steam to realise it needs to do the download (restarting steam fixes cases where it doesn't).

A launcher would be a nice way to try and get reports easier, however. When the game crashes the launcher could show an error dialog with a button to email you that log, I'd be willing to create something like that if you want, though it'd likely be better to create a centralized server that can group errors based on the stack trace with a list of what people claimed to be doing at the time.

#22 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

The beta system isn't that bad, or at least it seems to be that way. It's a 5-second download (for most people) to switch out the currently 4MB core jar (maybe a few assets too) and another 5 seconds for steam to realise it needs to do the download (restarting steam fixes cases where it doesn't).

A launcher would be a nice way to try and get reports easier, however. When the game crashes the launcher could show an error dialog with a button to email you that log, I'd be willing to create something like that if you want, though it'd likely be better to create a centralized server that can group errors based on the stack trace with a list of what people claimed to be doing at the time.

4MB for me takes most of the time 30 seconds to 2 minutes :C 

#23 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

4MB for me takes most of the time 30 seconds to 2 minutes :C 

I did say for most people, personally it takes about 10-20 seconds for me and my internet is below par.

#24 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

I did say for most people, personally it takes about 10-20 seconds for me and my internet is below par.

*cries*

#25 tattagreis

tattagreis
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

I fell in love for the game the first minute i saw the graphics. As a java programmer I'm really looking forward to see the source code :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modsmodding, support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users