#1 primoslate

primoslate
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:primoslate
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Being able to assign guards to patrol around one single torch or path between torches would be awesome. I'm not sure if you've played "Populous: The Beginning" but the guard patrol system in that game would be great to pull inspiration from!

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,923 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

That's an interesting idea, and would definitely give more purpose to the torches. I might run some experiments in InDev 15 and see how it works out.

Another solution is to add a new object that act as guard waypoints, it's been suggested in the past to use little waypoint flags that are cheap to build and can be paused/unpaused as needed to stop or start patrol traffic in that direction.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

I stopped using torches because I build next to all the resources now instead of building by some and extending to the others with torches. It would make torches useful to me again (especially since I don't feel like building a fire tower next to my crystillery which is sticking too far out).

#4 Billdakat

Billdakat
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:BillDaKat
  • Locationthe state of confusion

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

Another option in my mind is making guard stay within a certain distance of their guard shack, unless too many villagers are "yelling" for them. I have been playing mostly on the sapling map and building my base in the upper left corner, that has 2 natural choke points where I build the defenses like guard shacks but the guards do not stay near their guard posts.

#5 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Another option in my mind is making guard stay within a certain distance of their guard shack, unless too many villagers are "yelling" for them. I have been playing mostly on the sapling map and building my base in the upper left corner, that has 2 natural choke points where I build the defenses like guard shacks but the guards do not stay near their guard posts.

That's sort of the point of the fire towers though, to keep an area in range.

#6 Billdakat

Billdakat
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:BillDaKat
  • Locationthe state of confusion

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

That's sort of the point of the fire towers though, to keep an area in range.

But the fire towers only do so much and if the guard assigned to that post is literally 100 tiles away helping to kill a random slime, that he didn't need to help with, five zombies get through and start damaging buildings.

#7 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

After playing some more it seems the guards should have a priority set like this: 

1. something/someone being attacked (fighting)

2. something being built on the farthest edge of the city (standing guard)

3. a post created by the player

4. wandering?

I'm starting to agree that the main problem is that the guards aren't staying in the right areas, when I start building a wall it becomes very time consuming because the builders do a lot of the fighting. With the priorities above guards would be pretty responsive to threats assuming you are building something on the edge of the city :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestion, guard patrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users