Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,900 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

OVERVIEW:

Retro-Pixel Castles is a very brutal game if you don't play your cards right, this guide is designed to get you up and running. It's not all inclusive, but it'll get your village to a sustainable state!

THE MINI-GUIDE:

The first few days of Retro-Pixel Castles can be daunting, but the first one is probably the most critical. You will find yourself with absolutely no buildings, and you'll have to setup shop quickly. You will first need to find a place to place your Village Center.

1.png

Placing your Village Center is simple, just click on the dropdown on the top GUI over on the right hand, and select a place you'd like to drop it. Look for a place with food, trees, rocks and crystals! You'll want to be near all of these in the future.

2.png

Now that you've placed your village center, you can assign villagers to it, by clicking the + and - buttons on the GUI. (TIP: You can quick-assign all available villagers by right clicking on +.)

3.png

Once your villagers are assigned, you simply need to select resources to collect. The village center requires both wood and rocks, select the assign work buttons for them on the left hand GUI and select some resources you'd like to gather. As soon as they are selected, your workers will head over and start the process!

(NOTE: Once the Village Center is complete, your villagers may decide they want to repair any abandoned buildings in the area if you're near any. In most cases, it's probably a good idea to let them complete those buildings first, but some may require additional resources you don't have access to. If you want to stop them, you can pause construction by clicking on the building and hitting the pause button.)

4.png

Once your Village Center is completed, you should probably build housing. You can select housing on the right hand GUI. You won't have the correct materials yet to build anything other than a few tents, so go ahead and place a few down. The builders will then go collect the resources needed and put them together for you!

Next, you'll need a farm to feed yourself. Back on the right hand GUI click on "Farms" and select a farm you'd like to build. You can build either of the two current options at this time, so pick whatever you want. :)

Now that you have farms built, you can start harvesting food. But you need workers assigned first, so be sure to unassign some workers from your Village Center, and then click on the farm and assign them there. Once assigned, you can click on the Assign Work (Food) button on the left GUI and select some food on the map for your farmers to go collect.

Finally, you should probably build yourself a Guard Outpost and assign a few guards to it. You'll need these guys to defend your villagers while you work. Like the farms and housing, you can find the guard buildings on the right GUI. Just click "Defense".

5.png

That's it! You're on your own now. You'll probably want to build yourself a Lumber Shack and Stone Shack next, get a Crystillery running and maybe get some magic buildings going. But I'll leave you to figure out the rest.

Good luck!

Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

It's good that this guide shows how to get started but doesn't get too detailed (since llama's guide started misleading people since all of it changed).

I tend to do things in a pretty different order though. I feel tents are good if you happen to start by abandoned ones, but I feel since there's time until everyone's first energy depletion, it's worth building a wood shack first then building the small shacks. Same with the farms, I wait until the average hunger is about 35 until I build two farms for the village. 

I just wanted to mention that because this is a tutorial and when the buildings should be built should be taken into account. Maybe the community should start making strategy threads? I probably will when the game is complete. lol

#3 FerretBandit

FerretBandit
  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Yes, great guide!  :)

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,900 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

It's good that this guide shows how to get started but doesn't get too detailed (since llama's guide started misleading people since all of it changed).

I tend to do things in a pretty different order though. I feel tents are good if you happen to start by abandoned ones, but I feel since there's time until everyone's first energy depletion, it's worth building a wood shack first then building the small shacks. Same with the farms, I wait until the average hunger is about 35 until I build two farms for the village. 

I just wanted to mention that because this is a tutorial and when the buildings should be built should be taken into account. Maybe the community should start making strategy threads? I probably will when the game is complete. lol

I'll be honest, I find myself building in a different order as well. Typically I try to get a Lumber Shack and Stone Shack as fast as possible, then use those to build 2 or 3 Hovels and a Farm.

But, that's a bit complicated (and confusing) for this tutorial. So I did everything in a more logical order that still works well. :)

I agree, a few fan-made strategy threads would be great to have. They're just a pain to maintain since the game mechanics change so often.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

I'll be honest, I find myself building in a different order as well. Typically I try to get a Lumber Shack and Stone Shack as fast as possible, then use those to build 2 or 3 Hovels and a Farm.

But, that's a bit complicated (and confusing) for this tutorial. So I did everything in a more logical order that still works well. :)

I agree, a few fan-made strategy threads would be great to have. They're just a pain to maintain since the game mechanics change so often.

Yeah, it does change a lot. I guess what I'm saying is you should change the 'probably next' to 'in the near future' etc. because seeing some of the youtube let's plays they really tend to cling to what the tutorial says and parse words :P

#6 MikkelHee

MikkelHee
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

I need some guidance ... I have much trouble finding a way to get a proper supply of food ... how many can you expect a farm is able to supply and how do you make sure that the farm is producing?

#7 Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

I need some guidance ... I have much trouble finding a way to get a proper supply of food ... how many can you expect a farm is able to supply and how do you make sure that the farm is producing?

At the beginning it's enough to build single farm somewhere near carrots, fill it with workers and select carrots to harvest them. Don't know for sure how much single farm can handle, but later on you can upgrade it. Just watch food in the resources bar(at start it may increase very slowly as all carrots must gathered and be planted first), if it's starts to drop, build more farms, assign more workers or upgrade one.

Also make sure there's water source available so farms can be watered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users