7 replies to this topic - Started By Balkep, Sep 23 2014 01:16 AM

#1 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

Hey there,

Just a few things I think worth mentioning. Please don't kick my butt too hard if they're already in the game and I completely missed them :)

• Tool tips for buildings in the Tiles tab - including a short description and some useful numbers (max number of workers, cost in wood/stone/etc, size).
    • Example: Small Farm - Produces food. Required crops to start production. 30 wood (or the log icon), 4 farmers (a human icon), 5x5.
  • Setting priorities on the fly:
    • Building priority - let villages know which building to construct first;
    • Gathering/Work priority - if you have more than one job marked for the workers, let them know which one needs to be finished first, without the need to deselect the other one;
  • A more precise way to unassign jobs using a key modifier (Shift):
    • Example: let's say you have a bunch of trees next to a mountain. Both the rocks and the trees have job markers on them. You don't want the trees to be chopped down anymore and select the Unassign option. Accidentally you cancel some job markers for the rocks as well. But if you select the Assign Job (wood) item and hold down Shift, then you'll be only able to cancel the corresponding job markers.
  • Cancel the currently selected blueprint using one of the mouse buttons (the middle one) - because going all the way to the ESC button takes too much time :P
  • Ability to cancel building jobs and destroy existing buildings - DEL button or some icon
  • Time flow controls (speed up/slow down)
  • Make villagers use pathfinding to get the closest resources first - for example, if you select an entire forest to be chopped down starting from the further end, the villagers will go there first instead of getting the closest trees
  • Show amount of selected resources - show counters for active job markers for every resource type in the selected area - allows for better planning
  • Description of what a villager does in this exact moment - something like "Carrying a stone" or "Going to a job marker" or "Going back home to eat"
  • Make labels for tabs ("Work", "Tiles") a bit wider - it takes some time to find them on the screen

#2 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

Hey there,

Just a few things I think worth mentioning. Please don't kick my butt too hard if they're already in the game and I completely missed them :)

• Tool tips for buildings in the Tiles tab - including a short description and some useful numbers (max number of workers, cost in wood/stone/etc, size).
    • Example: Small Farm - Produces food. Required crops to start production. 30 wood (or the log icon), 4 farmers (a human icon), 5x5.
  • Setting priorities on the fly:
    • Building priority - let villages know which building to construct first;
    • Gathering/Work priority - if you have more than one job marked for the workers, let them know which one needs to be finished first, without the need to deselect the other one;
  • A more precise way to unassign jobs using a key modifier (Shift):
    • Example: let's say you have a bunch of trees next to a mountain. Both the rocks and the trees have job markers on them. You don't want the trees to be chopped down anymore and select the Unassign option. Accidentally you cancel some job markers for the rocks as well. But if you select the Assign Job (wood) item and hold down Shift, then you'll be only able to cancel the corresponding job markers.
  • Cancel the currently selected blueprint using one of the mouse buttons (the middle one) - because going all the way to the ESC button takes too much time :P
  • Ability to cancel building jobs and destroy existing buildings - DEL button or some icon
  • Make villagers use pathfinding to get the closest resources first - for example, if you select an entire forest to be chopped down starting from the further end, the villagers will go there first instead of getting the closest trees
  • Show amount of selected resources - show counters for active job markers for every resource type in the selected area - allows for better planning
  • Description of what a villager does in this exact moment - something like "Carrying a stone" or "Going to a job marker" or "Going back home to eat"
  • Make labels for tabs ("Work", "Tiles") a bit wider - it takes some time to find them on the screen

• Cancel the currently selected blueprint using one of the mouse buttons (the middle one) - because going all the way to the ESC button takes too much time  :P

Middle button instead of ESC :3 yessssss

•  

I do not really understand the last suggestion you made?

And the tool tips for like telling you how much it is would be amazing, Because i accidentally made a small shack, couldn't delete it and that was at the start of the game...

that's why DEL would be helpful, But this game has only been in 5 months of dev! so no one can complain, that is the best speed i've seen for a one maned game!

Also what do you mean by time flow controls? Like the one you get in the editor? if that was in the normal game would that not be a little bit of a cheat?

Where would the text go, When you click on it? If so that would be pretty cool

Sorry for huge comment..

#3 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

• Tabs: I do not really understand the last suggestion you made?

It took me a while to find the "Work" tab  :unsure: If the label was a bit wider (the part with the word "Work") - it would be easier to see it. Plus, it would be easier to click it if your display is not that big.

• Time flow: if that was in the normal game would that not be a little bit of a cheat?

What I meant my the time flow is the thing they have in SimCity, Prison Architect, etc. You can speed up the game a bit to get through the boring (e.g. building) parts a bit faster. It's not really cheating, since villagers will be doing everything faster - eating, losing energy, getting killed by zombies.

• Action description: Where would the text go, When you click on it?

In the bottom pop up with the villager's stats (when you click a villager). Something like "Farmer - Carrying carrots to the Food Storage".

#4 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

• Tabs: I do not really understand the last suggestion you made?

It took me a while to find the "Work" tab  :unsure: If the label was a bit wider (the part with the word "Work") - it would be easier to see it. Plus, it would be easier to click it if your display is not that big.

• Time flow: if that was in the normal game would that not be a little bit of a cheat?

What I meant my the time flow is the thing they have in SimCity, Prison Architect, etc. You can speed up the game a bit to get through the boring (e.g. building) parts a bit faster. It's not really cheating, since villagers will be doing everything faster - eating, losing energy, getting killed by zombies.

• Action description: Where would the text go, When you click on it?

In the bottom pop up with the villager's stats (when you click a villager). Something like "Farmer - Carrying carrots to the Food Storage".

Ohh i see... can't help but mention  i'm very happy today, Thanks to you going to this forum. i've been waiting for the day people come here, i was always alone... other than ray bibiki...

And the work tab isn't so hard for my res(1366x768) to find. it's very hard to read and all but hmm, Hold on here's a picture

Spoiler

Anyway i see now your point in that, But maybe one day there will be like a hard mode and normal mode and like easy gets that and so does hard, But normal, or default doesn't. Like hard because its a sacrifice to get it, and easy because it's ... easy

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

Build/Gather Priorities:
I was going to change building priority completely, right now the AI builds "what needs the most work" first, this causes an odd side effect of basically building everything all at once. I'm going to change it to strictly build first->last.

Cancel action:
Mouse 3 to cancel the current mode you're in (Object placement, entity selected, terrain brush, etc) might be good. I'll have to fiddle with it to make sure it doesn't interfere with another plan I had, make the scroll wheel attached to the brush size so you can scroll up and down instead of navigate to the arrow. But it should be fine.

Unassign Job Tweak:

How about a "rotating" button, like how the erase button works in the map editor? That way you can right click the button to rotate between various specific deselect modes.

Action Descriptions:
Action descriptions are also planned, as part of some of the more social-things I want the villagers to display. But that's still on the drawing board. ;)

Cancel/Destroy Buildings:

Already planned, in fact there's an entire system that will be in place called "Dismantle" that will allow villagers to take apart buildings and recover a part of the materials. This also allows them to dismantle abandoned buildings they don't want to use. As for not yet started buildings, there will just be a cancel action of some kind.

Time Flow Controls:

I was going to wait until I had all the gameplay squared away before considering this, I have a feeling once the mobs are added you won't want to speed up the game nearly as much as you would now. But it is on my "maybe" list at the moment, pending how the final gameplay works out. :)

Closest resource -> Furthest:

I was going to add that as an option per work building eventually, because there's cases where you'd want them to explicitly do things in order and cases where it's only logical to go to the nearest first.

Bigger Tabs:

Noted, I'll see if I can make them more visible in the future.

Show amount of selected resources:

Description of what a villager does in this exact moment:

Building descriptions:

Get out of my head! These are already planned too. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#6 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Build/Gather Priorities:
I was going to change building priority completely, right now the AI builds "what needs the most work" first, this causes an odd side effect of basically building everything all at once. I'm going to change it to strictly build first->last.

Cancel action:
Mouse 3 to cancel the current mode you're in (Object placement, entity selected, terrain brush, etc) might be good. I'll have to fiddle with it to make sure it doesn't interfere with another plan I had, make the scroll wheel attached to the brush size so you can scroll up and down instead of navigate to the arrow. But it should be fine.

Unassign Job Tweak:
How about a "rotating" button, like how the erase button works in the map editor? That way you can right click the button to rotate between various specific deselect modes.

Action Descriptions:
Action descriptions are also planned, as part of some of the more social-things I want the villagers to display. But that's still on the drawing board. ;)

Cancel/Destroy Buildings:
Already planned, in fact there's an entire system that will be in place called "Dismantle" that will allow villagers to take apart buildings and recover a part of the materials. This also allows them to dismantle abandoned buildings they don't want to use. As for not yet started buildings, there will just be a cancel action of some kind.

Time Flow Controls:
I was going to wait until I had all the gameplay squared away before considering this, I have a feeling once the mobs are added you won't want to speed up the game nearly as much as you would now. But it is on my "maybe" list at the moment, pending how the final gameplay works out. :)

Closest resource -> Furthest:
I was going to add that as an option per work building eventually, because there's cases where you'd want them to explicitly do things in order and cases where it's only logical to go to the nearest first.

Bigger Tabs:
Noted, I'll see if I can make them more visible in the future.

Show amount of selected resources:
Description of what a villager does in this exact moment:
Building descriptions:

Ohhh, exciting.

#7 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

Wonderful, glad to see things going in the right direction :)

#8 Ghoosty

Ghoosty
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Ce qui est plutôt agréable dans l'ensemble c'est que les développeurs et nous joueurs ont les même idées =)

---

Which is pretty nice overall is that developers and players we have the same ideas =)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: qol, ui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users