Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Tramboc
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hi

I've noticed a weird change in game performance since the Indev 12 Unstable 4b update, it hasn't changed since Unstable 5.

Some quick computer specs:

Intel Dual Core 2.7 GHz CPU
6 GB RAM
256 MB AMD Radeon 2600 GPU

Before I installed the update for Unstable 4b, using the zoom caused the game to freeze for about 1/4 of a second before the zoom level would change. Also the game's framerate seemed proportional to the zoom level: when zoomed out framerates would be very low while zoomed in they were a lot higher.

After the Unstable 4b update, the lag when zooming is seemingly non-existant, however the behavior of the overall framerate changed. Instead of being proportional to the zoom level it's now sort of "capped" I guess at a lower framerate. I don't know how to tell exactly but it's probably under 20 FPS at all zoom levels and on any map (including the main menu).

I noticed that the game updated to java version 8 with the update, so I updated to java 8 (I was using java 7), and nothing changed.

I don't know what else to say about it, there doesn't appear to be any weird things in any of the logs.

Any ideas?

Meow

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

It may be an issue with LWJGL, I just released a hotfix (Unstable 5b), included was a downgrade back to LWJGL 2.9.1 because I keep getting reports of weird graphical anomalies with 2.9.2 and 2.9.3.

Have you tried the latest hotfix? I released about an hour ago.
Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Tramboc

Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Yes, I got the hotfix a little bit ago. Same issue is present.

Here's a game log from just now, I don't know how useful it could be, there's no apparent errors.

Spoiler

Also, I tried decreasing my windowed resolution in settings.properties and the changes don't seem to be applying.

Heres settings.properties:

Spoiler

Meow

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

The settings.properties file doesn't do anything anymore, the new settings files are in /profiles/ and /profiles/profileX/ (where X is the slot you use) :)

I'm not sure what to make of the slowdown, I have not added anything that would cause that amount of lag. Have you tried going back to InDev 11 and seeing what happens, in the off chance something may be wrong with your machine?
Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Tramboc

Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info about settings.properties, I must have missed it in the update notes. ^_^

I also got the steam fps overlay thing to work so I can give numbers.

On Indev 11 I have the zoom lag, but the fps is a lot better. It tends to stay above 50 but decreases to 30 if I'm near a lot of activity. (Like the town center)

The fps drops at lower (farther) zoom levels isn't as prominent as I remember, maybe I was confusing it with the zoom lag.

Using the latest unstable, the fps doesn't even go above 15 on the main menu. In fact, I can't get the fps on any map higher than 15 until I either pan near the void, which gives me around 20, or turn on the minimap which gives me stable 60 fps.

Oh and just to point out all these are from brand new saves with maybe 15 minutes of play time and not a lot of activity. I haven't gotten around to seeing what performance is like later on in a game.

Is there anything else I could provide that could help diagnose this problem?

Meow

#6 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the info about settings.properties, I must have missed it in the update notes. ^_^

I also got the steam fps overlay thing to work so I can give numbers.

On Indev 11 I have the zoom lag, but the fps is a lot better. It tends to stay above 50 but decreases to 30 if I'm near a lot of activity. (Like the town center)

The fps drops at lower (farther) zoom levels isn't as prominent as I remember, maybe I was confusing it with the zoom lag.

Using the latest unstable, the fps doesn't even go above 15 on the main menu. In fact, I can't get the fps on any map higher than 15 until I either pan near the void, which gives me around 20, or turn on the minimap which gives me stable 60 fps.

Oh and just to point out all these are from brand new saves with maybe 15 minutes of play time and not a lot of activity. I haven't gotten around to seeing what performance is like later on in a game.

Is there anything else I could provide that could help diagnose this problem?

oh no, that's plenty. It points squarely at rendering speeds.

At first I was thinking it was the AI/Logic updates since in this build the AI has gotten more complicated, and because we can all save now there's simply just more bad guys running around. But if you go to a rock-solid 60FPS on the minimap it's definitely a rendering issue, because the AI is still running at full speed no matter what you do.

Part of the optimizing I plan to do in InDev 13 is rendering, so hopefully I can get the game running faster for you. ;)

InDev 12 is nearly completed. I'm just waiting for last minute bugs to creep up, so while I wait I'll probably start playing with rendering and seeing if I can speed things up before release. If not, it won't be a big deal. InDev 13's Unstable builds will probably start being pushed out fairly quickly after InDev 12 is out.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#7 Tramboc

Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll look forward to it! c:

Meow

#8 Tramboc

Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hi again

I understand that some of the optimizations planned might not be implemented yet but...

Since the I updated to Indev 12 the performance drop has gotten worse, and by "worse" I mean the game now runs at 1 frame per second, anywhere, the main menu is virtually un-navigable. The only thing that gets the fps higher than 1 is the minimap, where I get a stable 60...

What could have caused a drop like this?

Meow

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hi again

I understand that some of the optimizations planned might not be implemented yet but...

Since the I updated to Indev 12 the performance drop has gotten worse, and by "worse" I mean the game now runs at 1 frame per second, anywhere, the main menu is virtually un-navigable. The only thing that gets the fps higher than 1 is the minimap, where I get a stable 60...

What could have caused a drop like this?

I think the new map rendering system has taken a huge hit on lower end GPUs, I'll look into it and see what I can do.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#10 Tramboc

Tramboc
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationYour appendix

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Got the latest hotfix, still 1 FPS all round except on the minimap.

Meow

#11 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Got the latest hotfix, still 1 FPS all round except on the minimap.

hmm.. That doesn't even make sense. :/

In 4b you were rendering thousands of tiles all at once, now you're only rendering about 10-12 large tiles. The rendering calls have dropped sharply.

I wonder if something else is causing this, I'll have to dig around in the changed code between U4b and 12b

Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users