Family Tree
4 replies to this topic - Started By ZendarDarklighter, Nov 13 2014 10:23 AM

#1 ZendarDarklighter

ZendarDarklighter
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pip

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I don't know if anyone else out there thinks this is cool, but i was thinking it might be cool to add a simple Family Tree menu to see the families of the original villagers.  Anyone else think that might be fun?

#2 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

There would be a lot of single people that create no bloodlines then the rest of it would come from the same 3 families. lol

#3 zblu64

zblu64
  • Staff
  • 104 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:zblu64
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

Great idea!  I think Ray already has some of this planned.  Right now his "mating" routines are pretty simple, but I know he plans on beefing them up.   I'm not sure if he is going to add a full fledged family tree display though, although that would be interesting.

We sort of talked about this in another thread where we were discussing male to female ratios.

This link is *NOT* part of, or anything related to Retro-Pixel Castles, but rather something I've been working on the past few months, but I think it's similar to what you are thinking:  http://blog.blutekus...e-family-trees/   :)

You can't get there from here

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

I've been toying with the idea of genetics and family trees a while now, I actually at one point at a very basic framework for it in the source code (I removed it for now, since it was complicating things and served no purpose yet).

But the only problem I have is from a game play mechanics standpoint, while the idea is really cool - there is a problem with only starting with 24 villagers. There would only be 24 unique genetic lines, and if you get a 1:1 male to female ratios and they all partner up, you only have 12 family trees to work with, and every time 2 of those trees cross breed their offspring wouldnt be able to breed with people in either tree. Way down the road in the game when you have a few hundred villagers, they're still based off those original 12 trees, making it really hard to find a mate that isn't part of your tree or any other tree you're linked to from cross-breeding. It all gets even worse if some of those trees get completely wiped out later.

Not saying I'm against the idea or anything, I love the idea and already plan to add something like this. I just need to figure out how to make it work. :P

One idea I had was to have the trees detailed enough that it would know how far removed villagers are from each other, so you can actually breed with people technically in your tree if they're far enough removed (third or forth cousins, etc).

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 holloway

holloway
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

I thought about that, too.  And I think what would be cool is if you have other villages around the map.  Maybe they start wandering around and coming to your village, willing to mate with one of yours.  Not really thought through entirely, but that could be one way to get new families in the tree.

And to not overfill your village your villagers could also move out of your village (maybe because they're unhappy or whatever), so it's a new dynamic element in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users