Jump to content


  • Please log in to reply
Armies?!
7 replies to this topic - Started By RQ4U, Nov 07 2014 07:49 PM

#1 RQ4U

RQ4U
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:wartank111

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

I don't know what Ray has planned for troops, but i think i may have a good idea for it.

 

There are two ways that i can see how troops are made.

 

One is that there is one building e.g. training grounds, that you send villagers to. The villagers stay in that building for certain amount time to simulate training and when that time is up there is a percentage of a given villager to be one of the troop types. For example, villager A is sent to the training grounds where he spends an entire day (during this time he can not be unassigned to the building). Once his time is up in the training grounds there is 50% chance of him becoming a soldier, 30% chance of an archer, and 20% chance of a knight (these percentages and troop types are just for example).

 

Option two is that there multiple training ground buildings, one for each troop type. 

 

I also have an idea about armies. I'm thinking that there could be a building type that would act as say a command building with a given amount of influence. The command building could house up to say 5 villagers (representing officers), having each villager added to the command building increasing the army's efficiency. Next you would have to place field tents which would house the troops in the army. The field tents would have to be placed within the Command building's area of influence. The player would have to assign the troops to said tents in order for them to be apart of the army, otherwise the troops would just patrol the village center's area of influence. The player can only give commands to the Command building and then the army of that same command building would then carry out those orders. Multiple Command building can be built, given the player multiple armies. Each army would only carry out the commands of the command building that they belong to. 

 

I personally like the first option for troop production as it gives the player an element of uncertainty that they would have to deal with and could add to how the player strategizes. I like the idea of having an all archer army having to deal with fast moving melee monsters, or having an all soldier army having to deal with a monster that hits hard and can take a hit.  


  • 0

#2 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

I don't think soldier training would happen because villagers can be put in and out of a job instantly unless it favored picking villagers that were already trained to be soldiers.


  • 0

#3 RQ4U

RQ4U
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:wartank111

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

I was thinking that there would be another separate population. one for villagers and another for troops. I guess i should have said something about that in the post, but I'll say it this time. There would be a separate population for the troops. Once a villager becomes a troop said villager cannot be reverted back to being a villager. A troop that is not assigned to a Command building would assist villagers in more of the general tasks such as hauling materials to and from places and patrolling the Village center's area of influence. When assigning troops to Command Buildings it would take them from the Troop population.


  • 0

#4 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'm against the idea of converting a villager irreversibly, what if all the other villagers died? How would you continue with your 50 warriors?


  • 0

#5 RQ4U

RQ4U
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:wartank111

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Well isn't that a part of the game? Dying? It could add as a trial and error sort of thing. Have too many troops and not be able to support your population or vice versa, have too little troops and not be able to defend off monsters. It would add a level of difficulty that could very well be fun to play with.


  • 0

#6 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

I think it's a layer of unneeded complexity that would detract and frustrate players. It also feels contrary to the autonomous nature of the villagers, that they get forced into a life of fighting, this isn't the night's watch. :P


  • 0

#7 Spronk

Spronk
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

I like the idea of any villager being able to do any job. Even if some villagers are better at some things than others due to stats or what have you.

 

I do like the ideas of the various military building though and perhaps just assigning villagers to those buildings confers some advantage to combat abilities.


  • 0

#8 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

Actually I do plan to add guards to the game, but not in the sense of armies or anything like that. The game is designed to be purely defensive. So you wouldn't raise an army to "take over" the land, you're more fighting to keep the land you got and you'd have little real control over what the guards do.

 

Here's the overview of my guard AI framework as currently written in my notes:

- Guards will be assigned to "guard towers", much like workers in other buildings.

- They will wander around and follow villagers, offering protection and a sense of security (so happiness drops slower for those villagers)

- They will have slightly higher attack/defense stats

- When a monster attacks a villager, or building, all the guards in the are general area charge after it.

- Guards may need to take a few minutes to "convert" back and forth from guards to regular villagers, else you could just convert everyone to guards every time you're being attacked. Guards should be at the cost of production, not something you just "switch to" instantly as needed. (Not sure how this will work yet though)


  • 0
Rise to Ruins Developer




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users