#1 Ystzom

Ystzom
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:mat_lo1
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Maybe add the hunting to have few more opportunities to gather food. Few animals like rabbits, birds, etc. and an hunters hut.

76561198114775702.png

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

I like that idea! ;)

I was originally going to add animal farming, I wonder if I can mix the two together somehow without it being unbalanced. To properly add hunting I'd have to add animal reproduction (not an issue). But it would have to be balanced out in such a way you could gather food by farming, by hunting, or a combination of both.

I'll add it to my list of things to experiment with when I start working on animals.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

I like that idea! ;)

I was originally going to add animal farming, I wonder if I can mix the two together somehow without it being unbalanced. To properly add hunting I'd have to add animal reproduction (not an issue). But it would have to be balanced out in such a way you could gather food by farming, by hunting, or a combination of both.

I'll add it to my list of things to experiment with when I start working on animals.

Add a nutrition value that ranges from full-meat to full-veg. Full-meat causes starvation from nutrition deficiencies, full-veg only causes the villagers to be like 20% weaker from lack of a proper diet. Suddenly, you need both, but you can start up with just carrots that are around the place until you get meat going.

#4 zblu64

zblu64
  • Staff
  • 104 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:zblu64
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hunting is good because there is a risk vs reward aspect. Should I dedicate resources to hunting when I might not get anything out of it? Will I get attacked and take damage from the wild bunnyraptor? (Mmmmm...BBQ bunnyraptor)

You can't get there from here

#5 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

To properly add hunting I'd have to add animal reproduction (not an issue). But it would have to be balanced out in such a way you could gather food by farming, by hunting, or a combination of both.

Couldn't the wild animals spawn randomly like monsters? I get the reproduction for domesticated livestock and such, but would it be better for wild animals?

It might make it easier to code when they 'come out' that way also. Like deer are more common in the morning and at dusk... and so on.

Just an Idea.

And I'm sure this is assumed, but just in case I'm missing something:

Hunters would be assigned through something like a hunter's lodge or something? I think that is what would happen, but am I totally wrong from thinking this?

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

#6 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

Add a nutrition value that ranges from full-meat to full-veg. Full-meat causes starvation from nutrition deficiencies, full-veg only causes the villagers to be like 20% weaker from lack of a proper diet. Suddenly, you need both, but you can start up with just carrots that are around the place until you get meat going.

Guys, i have a secret. I'm vegan in real life. So this makes me wonder.

#7 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Guys, i have a secret. I'm vegan in real life. So this makes me wonder.

If you only eat carrots, then you probably have a bad diet.

#8 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

I was going to say plant food should be for hunger and meat would be for health, but some of the crystals might be used for health. It could either be the scenario where one is quicker to get in the beginning and gives less hunger or they are all required supplements of each other as you guys have said.

#9 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sorry for double post, I just realized from making another thread how it could work. Plants (plant farms) right now give you 20 and animal meat can give you 40? but if you start off with an animal farm the animals starve because you have to feed them with plants.

In hunting vs. animal farm I guess there's the question of 'should hunting animals be separate from animals that can be domesticated'. Like, you could have deer that spawn and a set number of domestic animals, but then the question is why choose animal farms over hunting? I feel hunting should be a good choice for beginning game, during winter if you didn't stock up enough or if mobs destroyed some of your farms and you have a large population to feed. I guess 'deer' would have to be somewhat scarce and it would take a little more time to collect the meat.

#10 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

I feel like meat based food should be entirely optional (but beneficial) for a few reasons:

- Livestock relies on random mating patterns of the stock, whereas carrots grow consistently (a little randomness would be nice here tbh)

- Livestock might be able to escape (feature in the future?)

- Livestock could be eaten by monsters, who I doubt like carrots

- Livestock could be difficult to catch and/or domesticate

- Livestock technically has an expiry that carrots likely would lack

- Livestock needs food itself (technically carrots do, but that food is everywhere)

I stand by my suggestion that carrots (and other grown foods) should be the main food type that sustains a village, whereas livestock should be a better food that could grant other perks (maybe rare types of livestock that spawn randomly). That way, you can try to build an infrastructure that uses livestock for food, but should ultimately have grown foods as either supplements (nutrients meat lacks or has less of would be supplied by grown foods).

Now that I think of it, special perks for food from rare livestock would be pretty neat, imagine finding a rare giant salamander livestock that granted cold resistance for a few days or weeks after eating it, but it has limited fertility (only goes for X cycles).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users