More complex housing preference, and villager opinions on other villagers
3 replies to this topic - Started By Hexicube, Nov 03 2014 09:40 AM

#1 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

I had a thought about housing and thought it would be neat if villagers liked/disliked other villagers and tried to stay with those they liked more. It could work like this:

Every villager has values for every other villager that has a meaning to them (liked/disliked/spouse):

- Liked villagers are +10

- Disliked villagers are -7

- Spouse is +50

- Current house is +25 (prevents constant swapping)

- Empty space in a house (after moving) adds value based on the size

- Some houses could add a quality factor

Every now and again, a villager will evaluate all the houses with space as well as the one they're currently in. If they have a spouse, they can also evaluate the houses as well and the values are averaged out (gives large preference to moving into a house with their spouse, but doesn't block regular moving). If another house that has space for them has a higher score, they will move out, meaning villagers will naturally move away from villagers they dislike and towards ones they like, as well as move with their spouse, but will not prevent moving away from their spouse to be with a lot of their friends in a big house.

Additionally, villagers do not have to like other villagers that like them, they could even dislike them. That adds a layer of interest in that villagers could constantly move around trying to avoid other villagers who keep following them, although this could be prevented to keep things relatively stationary.

Another possibility is that the like/dislike status towards another villager could decay from not being near them, or better yet from being around their friends/enemies (who this villager also likes). In essence, it would mean being around their friends means the villager understands why they like him, but being around their enemies means the villager gets to talk with the others how annoying that villager is. The cool thing about this, is that it's all basically flavour-text, and could be whatever you want.

The interesting thing about this is that the 'optimal' house for a particular villager could change over time, as other villagers move around. Every now and again that villager would decide to move to a different house, and then their friends could join then, and maybe some people in there who dislike the new occupants could move out, and so on. Eventually, there might be an equilibrium, but it could just stay a game of musical chairs.

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

This is pretty close to my "relationship scorecard" idea. Although mine never considered disliking villagers. hmm.

How would a villager start "disliking" others, a random variable? Or maybe it's not so much "dislike" as "I don't know you"?

My original idea if you're curious:
- Everyone starts at 0 "relationship"
- Every time villagers interact or are in close proximity, there is a chance the number will go up a little.
- As the number increases, it increases the chance that they'll become partners
- If they don't see each other for a very long time, the number drops slowly reaching 0 again.
- If they're partners, if the relationship value reaches 0, they might split up.

End result would be people living in the same house or working in the same buildings would end up being "friends". Maybe that can trigger other AI flags, like visiting friends to boost happiness.
Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

This is pretty close to my "relationship scorecard" idea. Although mine never considered disliking villagers. hmm.

How would a villager start "disliking" others, a random variable? Or maybe it's not so much "dislike" as "I don't know you"?

My original idea if you're curious:
- Everyone starts at 0 "relationship"
- Every time villagers interact or are in close proximity, there is a chance the number will go up a little.
- As the number increases, it increases the chance that they'll become partners
- If they don't see each other for a very long time, the number drops slowly reaching 0 again.
- If they're partners, if the relationship value reaches 0, they might split up.

End result would be people living in the same house or working in the same buildings would end up being "friends". Maybe that can trigger other AI flags, like visiting friends to boost happiness.

I thought that disliking a villager could come from a number of things:

- That villager doesn't have to work as hard as you do (i.e. isn't assigned)

- That villager is going out with your ex (after splitting up it would be a bonus)

- That villager IS your ex

- That villager is in a relationship and you aren't (requires the villager has been in one, so they know what it's like)

- That villager works in a largely different area of work (i.e. combat vs farming)

- That villager has largely different unique traits (lazy vs energetic, similar traits gives bonus)

- That villager likes a villager that you dislike

#4 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

I thought that disliking a villager could come from a number of things:

- That villager doesn't have to work as hard as you do (i.e. isn't assigned)

- That villager is going out with your ex (after splitting up it would be a bonus)

- That villager IS your ex

- That villager is in a relationship and you aren't (requires the villager has been in one, so they know what it's like)

- That villager works in a largely different area of work (i.e. combat vs farming)

- That villager has largely different unique traits (lazy vs energetic, similar traits gives bonus)

- That villager likes a villager that you dislike

I very much so like hexicubes idea, and i feel the traits with this would work very well, Like i remember ray saying something about homosexual trait,  There could be traits like homophobic, (This is  example do not take me wrong here.) Or bully's and stuff like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users