Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Oh, it's planned! ;)

The meat and potatoes of the game will played on hand-crafted maps (either official ones, or ones you download from friends). But there will be a "Random map generator" mode as a side-feature. But it'll be a while before that's added, possibly during beta, or even post release.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 ZacG

ZacG
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

I'm making a really cool map, i covered the world in sand and made a little castle :) maybe it could be in the download?

Also, it would be good if it would automatically updates (idk, it might already :P)

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm making a really cool map, i covered the world in sand and made a little castle :) maybe it could be in the download?

Also, it would be good if it would automatically updates (idk, it might already :P)

There's a few ways to have it included, although I'd recommend you hang on to it for a while. As we push through InDev countless tons of features will be added, some of them will have a major impact on the gameplay mechanics (and the map editor). So anything you build now may be obsolete very quickly.

Not saying you can't get started now, a majority of the map will be fine. (Terrains, etc) Just expect to have to go back and fix things every once and a while as the core gameplay mechanics are put in. For example, I just added food a few days ago, and once building mechanics are put in you'll no longer be able to place fully built/functional objects in the map editor (like your Lumber Mills), but instead, they will be "Abandoned" lumber mills that the player will have to send villagers to recover. So in your map all your lumber mills will get removed or replaced. :)

As for automatic updates, I haven't decided yet if I was going to write a launcher that does it for me. It really depends on if I plan to distribute the game outside of Steam. If it's a Steam-only game, I don't need a launcher. But if I put it on Desura, GoG or do direct sales, I will need a patcher/launcher. We'll see! That's all up in the air at the moment.

Also, there's two ways (as of now: Totally subject to change) to get your map included in the game download:

- Have a finished, well designed, well balanced map of high quality.

- Or, Some Kickstarter backers will be allowed to include their map in the game if they back over a certain amount.

Just keep in mind, regardless of how good your map is, I can't accept anything yet as I already know the maps made now will need additional work later to be playable. Not saying you can't keep working on yours, your time wont be wasted, but you will have to go back later and add/remove things as InDev development progresses. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 ZacG

ZacG
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

how would u get it on steam?

#6 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

how would u get it on steam?

Greenlight of course. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#7 ZacG

ZacG
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

is there a way i can help get it on steam?

I think it would be really cool if it was on steam

#8 ZacG

ZacG
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

There's a few ways to have it included, although I'd recommend you hang on to it for a while. As we push through InDev countless tons of features will be added, some of them will have a major impact on the gameplay mechanics (and the map editor). So anything you build now may be obsolete very quickly.

Not saying you can't get started now, a majority of the map will be fine. (Terrains, etc) Just expect to have to go back and fix things every once and a while as the core gameplay mechanics are put in. For example, I just added food a few days ago, and once building mechanics are put in you'll no longer be able to place fully built/functional objects in the map editor (like your Lumber Mills), but instead, they will be "Abandoned" lumber mills that the player will have to send villagers to recover. So in your map all your lumber mills will get removed or replaced. :)

As for automatic updates, I haven't decided yet if I was going to write a launcher that does it for me. It really depends on if I plan to distribute the game outside of Steam. If it's a Steam-only game, I don't need a launcher. But if I put it on Desura, GoG or do direct sales, I will need a patcher/launcher. We'll see! That's all up in the air at the moment.

Also, there's two ways (as of now: Totally subject to change) to get your map included in the game download:

- Have a finished, well designed, well balanced map of high quality.

- Or, Some Kickstarter backers will be allowed to include their map in the game if they back over a certain amount.

Just keep in mind, regardless of how good your map is, I can't accept anything yet as I already know the maps made now will need additional work later to be playable. Not saying you can't keep working on yours, your time wont be wasted, but you will have to go back later and add/remove things as InDev development progresses. ;)

Wuts a kickstarter backer?

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

is there a way i can help get it on steam?

I think it would be really cool if it was on steam

Right now, not really. Once I submit it to greenlight you can vote "yes", and get all your friends to vote too. ;)

Wuts a kickstarter backer?

Anyone who gives money to the kickstarter. For example:

https://www.kickstar...nts-the-rematch

Rise to Ruins Developer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: world, random, generate, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users