Fog Of War
6 replies to this topic - Started By jaybee3, Oct 28 2014 04:50 PM

#1 jaybee3

jaybee3
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Didn't see this in the compilation. However, to add a further layer of difficulty I'd like to see some sort of fog of war. Especially due to how vast the maps are you'd rely heavily on torches and where you send your villagers next to find new resources and such.

Maybe villagers have a certain range to see so that they reveal some of the map as they are going about their daily routines? And if that area of the map hasn't been actively visited for a while then it could slowly melt back into the fog?

Torches would help maintain vision in the area? Mobs hidden in the fog would add a nice terror element?

jaybee3.png

#2 Dasbuba

Dasbuba
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:dasbuba
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

+1

Fog of war would be rely nice once monsters are implement! But I think Ray has this on his tracker :)

Complications arose, stopped and were overcome.

#3 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

I feel it should only extend to mobs since when this kind of mechanic is typically used, the enemy can build, but since there seems to be a small likelyhood of an enemy building system, we should be allowed to see the terrain but keep the mobs hidden at a certain range of our structures.

#4 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

I would like to extend the idea a little bit, to how Tiberian Sun did it:

- Initially, the entire map is completely black, which will make sense in a moment

- Areas visible to the villagers are revealed both normally and on the map

- Areas not visible to the villagers revert to a fog state that doesn't show entities inside the fog

- Bonus points if the fog areas show the last state of the building and not the current state or no building at all

I don't feel like torches should contribute to the overall reveal area of the map, it doesn't make sense. However, I DO feel that any area in darkness cannot be revealed by sight like it normally would, so walking around in the dark where you can't see 2 feet ahead of you doesn't magically impart visual info of the landscape tomorrow. This also allows for some other stuff in the next list.

You can allow spells/potions/magic (when added) to impart special sight properties, too. Things like:

- Allow seeing in the dark (that villager and nearby villagers get normal sight info, but it doesn't show up)

- Allow sensing monsters that are in the dark (info is also still told to others)

- Increased visual range for landscape only, effectively adding an extra segment outside which reveals fogged landscape

- Allow watching a completely separated area (user should be able to designate an approximate point, the spell can be intrinsically inaccurate when cast), ideally used with the first or second spell

- Allow sight through some things, probably only village created ones (assumes sight follows a raycast-ish mechanic)

- Allow sight over mountains (also assumes the sight mechanic)

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

To be honest, I'm leaning to not adding fog of war. Mainly because once you're established there really isn't much reason to explore, so taking the fog away would probably just make the game a little visually boring since you can't see beyond your village. Once all the monsters are in, they'll be every-fricken-where, so they'll be interesting to watch them wander around the map.

Also, even though the game is designed to be brutal, I think some of the strategy element may derive from seeing some monster types on the map and attempt to build a proper defense for them. If you had fog, you'd get little to no warning. Thus, it might make the game feel full of "cheap shots" when you get smacked with a mobs you can't handle you had no warning existed.

I'm not saying Fog of War *wont* happen, just saying, in my head right now everything just sounds better without it. :D

Rise to Ruins Developer

#6 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Also, even though the game is designed to be brutal, I think some of the strategy element may derive from seeing some monster types on the map and attempt to build a proper defense for them. If you had fog, you'd get little to no warning. Thus, it might make the game feel full of "cheap shots" when you get smacked with a mobs you can't handle you had no warning existed.

An alternative would be to have a GUI element showing the mob spawn queue, similar to what desktop tower defence (correct name?) had. In that, it would have a scrolling bar at the bottom with boxes (width denoting how long that wave lasts) that had the icon of the next mob.

Obviously that means learning what each one does, but you would have to do that anyways. In addition, it allows you to prepare for things that will end up spawning instead of what exists, giving the player some freedom in their choices in the long run, which could prove useful if the player requires a special building or more villagers for that mob.

There's no reason you can't have both, however.

#7 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hmm, maybe it would be better to have it more like, you're making a map, while your making it you go to a new tab on your left, below the "Tools" tab. Like so

Spoiler

Now this tab can only be accessed while in the editor, not the real game. After clicking this tab, you should see it very much like the tools tab, This one other the other hand has way more things, so it has pages. Like this 

Spoiler

As you can see i added a new tab with pages, this tab could have other things, Like right now i've just made two examples. Fog of war, for one, that's totally optional thing you can turn on when making a map! Or another i just made to make it feel less empty, it means no breeding, this means you can let other people breed to keep the same amount you started with, All allowing map makers to be much more creative, And in all, making more people have fun, So i feel fog of war would be a good optional idea. And you could add other things in this tab, for say, a sliding bar, for setting max villagers or for setting how many you start with. 

Spoiler

As you can see, the slider knobs can be changed to set the max villagers, that's currently 85 out of unlimited.

Just saying my opinion and this is what happens. Eh, either way i still got what i want to say.

EdIt: Click images for much more detail 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users