• Please log in to reply
Range generation trimming cuts off buildings immediately after they're built/does other strange things
1 reply to this topic - Started By mlindner, Jun 06 2020 10:39 AM

#1 mlindner

mlindner
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

Range generation trimming does unexpected things.

If you have a narrow 1 space wide passageway and you build a fire pit in the middle of it to extend the range generation down the passageway it instead cuts off the range. This is because fire pits aren't walkable/buildable area and so it sees the range beyond the just built fire pit as now no longer accessible. You have to carve space around the fire pit for the range to expand beyond.

The above causes other issues. For example if you build a firepit in a wall to extend the range beyond the wall, it doesn't do anything unless you have something to extend the range "around" the wall to the other side to reach the fire pit, then the fire pit "activates" and further extends the range beyond the wall.

This was incredibly confusing as I was trying to work with building walls as a new player and it took me a while to understand the mechanism on how range trimming works to avoid just completely breaking the building of walls

If the above doesn't make sense I can provide some screen shots.

I suggest changing how range trimming works and make it so that any building that is reached by existing range automatically extends its range, regardless if there's a valid consecutive connected segment of buildable area.

#2 mlindner

mlindner
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

One additional note, you can get into weird situations where a bunch of series of torches are connected inside the wall, but you accidentally temporarily close off the wall and the range gets cut off. However when you re-open the wall at the same location the range no longer reaches the torches. This is because the torch got built beyond the normal range (say for example an intermediate torch was removed previously) so now even though it was connected previously, returning the connected spaces to how it was previously by re-opening the wall no longer connects.

Another situation is that you have a torch/building that was built "beyond" the normal range using the previous situation and when you mark it for deconstruction it immediately has it's range pruned and it's now stuck in a situation where you can't deconstruct it because the to-be-deconstructed building is now beyond the maximum range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users