Corrupted World, Oh no! Any hope?
6 replies to this topic - Started By Psycho0124, Sep 03 2019 07:42 AM

#1 Psycho0124

Psycho0124
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

I've got some really nice cities built across 7 or 8 regions and have been collecting all sorts of bonuses in the world. Unfortunately, when I click to load the world map, the game loads endlessly and hangs. The game reports loading "Resource Module" on the loading screen. Memory usage at the hang shows 4.7 gigs of memory use, which seems a little high..?

It's a slightly older gaming rig but has 16 gigs of very nice low-latency ram, PCIe SSD - Intel DC P3500, Asus Z77 board with an i7 4770K.

I didn't see a way to attach the save on the forum; here are some links to the profile (zip format):

http://www.filedropper.com/profile0

https://gofile.io/?c=KjhHEk

https://we.tl/t-LNqMSsJ9Yc

I had recently gone back to my first region; Loracre, to clean up the mess it had become and get the corruption under control there. There were a lot of buildings under construction when I logged off for the last time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Is there something I can delete from the file to get the profile to load again? Maybe I can transplant the region files to another working profile to at least save the cities?

The save is from the stable version - 33f. I played a lot of space engineers and became a little gun-shy with their frequent updates breaking everything so I keep updates off and stay out of unstable builds unless I see a feature come down that I can't live without. Tried updating and loading it in the newest unstable build but it still hung at "Resource Module" when trying to access the world screen. :(

#2 Psycho0124

Psycho0124
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

I managed to get the game to load by deleting the Loracre folder from the worldmaps directory. Unfortunately, I did it in version 34-2b..

Man, what a difficulty spike... Is this intentional? Formerly stable cities in Traditional are getting steamrolled by these ultra-high-level mobs.. Fully upgraded Ice Ballista towers don't even touch these Thanos-level Fire Elementals anymore..

This city never had a problem dealing with nights in 33f. 34-2bs mobs annihilated it without so much as a hiccup.

Greenham at Dusk:  https://ibb.co/nkcgKCk
Greenham at Midnight:  https://ibb.co/kmgG7jv

Greenham-2019-09-03-1.png Greenham-2019-09-03-3.png

#3 Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle
  • Moderators
  • 97 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

The corruption doesn't like being contained as you've done to it, thus the high level monsters. But, you can potentially push it out of the region entirely, provided you do so soon enough, before things escalate beyond what you can survive. Otherwise you just have to give it some room, and eventually migrate to another region.

#4 Psycho0124

Psycho0124
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

I have 7 other fully developed regions. I return to old cities to complete objectives that come up on the world screen. I'm fully aware of the increased spawn rate and level associated with confining the corruption and had designed my defense to accommodate it in version 33f. My comment was a critique of the huge disparity in difficulty between versions 33f and 34.

Will be reverted back to 33f for the more balanced game-play until the later versions get some tuning.

Are there any steps I can take on my end to reduce the memory utilization or chances of save file corruption going forward?

#5 Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle
  • Moderators
  • 97 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

Outside reporting and sending us corrupted saves when they happen, which can help Ray find possible bugs, not much to be done about it. As for memory utilization, unstable branch should actually be a bit more optimized for that than stable, at least for save game sizes.

Also, saves generally don't revert to older game versions. If you've played any villages in unstable, you may be stuck in unstable unless you have backups from before you tried it.

#6 Psycho0124

Psycho0124
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

No worries, I kept backups along the troubleshooting process. My 33f save loaded fine once I deleted most of the Loracre region saves. The oldest two were the only ones that would allow the world screen to load but at least I didn't lose the region. It's included in the Profile0.zip above but do you just want one of the corrupted Loracre.zip files for analysis?

My end goal is to conquer the world and meet the "win" condition at the top but I'm worried about how slow the world screen already loads with only 8 villages. Can Java and the game engine currently support this kind of win?

#7 Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle
  • Moderators
  • 97 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

Unstable branch has additional optimizations to help with save/load times (and also allow for retroactive perks). Still going to be a bit before it's ready for stable, it's a massive update.

Edit: Loracre loaded up fine using the save from the first post, though the world map load time does take longer than usual for my own games. I'm running latest unstable build.

Edit 2: After loading into and exiting back out of each of the existing villages, world map load times have vastly smoothed out and sped up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users