• Please log in to reply
Curtain Walls - why doth thou fail thee?
3 replies to this topic - Started By Ytt , Sep 28 2018 09:43 AM

#1 Ytt

Ytt
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

I'm trying to figure out how monsters interact with Curtain Walls... specifically, why groups on Fire Elementals randomly pick a section of wall, two spaces thick, then smash it to pieces. 

The monsters have a clear path to my HQ, but smash it down anyway.

Is this a bug?

#2 Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle
  • Moderators
  • 70 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Monster pathfinding: When picking a route, they look at everything between them and where they want to go. Every valid tile has a move cost, this includes ones they'd need to break something to get through, just higher cost, based on what they'd have to break. Roads are lowest cost, empty terrain is default, other things pathing through a tile slightly increase the pathing cost of that tile, walls increase it some, gate a bit, not as much as walls, water also increases it, as does tar (a ton), and forest/rock increase it a ton. Based on all this, a path is picked, and off the monster goes.

Thicker walls = less chance the monsters will decide to break through that section.

#3 Bolgfred

Bolgfred
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:16 AM

I was facing this problem aswell recently. Seems to me like this behaviour was added/strengthened in a recent update, as I never noticed it before.

My current idea is to build a WFFFW ( Wall, 3xForest, Wall) combination. Does anybody has tried something like that?

Furthermore is a wall a wall or does the pathing differ between fence, stone and curtain walls?

#4 Capacitor500

Capacitor500
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

The matter with fire elementals is that they do not want to cross water.

I usually fill my maze with water to slow down the monsters and that works fine.

But fire elementals do look for an other way and choose to destroy walls. Even if they are very thick.

My latest strategy is, to build two walls with empty space between them. The empty space must be open at the entrance of the maze, so the fire elementals go there and try to destroy the first wall next to the maze entrance. From there I can easially pick them up and throw them in the middle of my maze or a Cullis Gate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users