Employee data, gates, and new citizens
4 replies to this topic - Started By Boss Llama, Oct 19 2014 08:08 PM

#1 Boss Llama

Boss Llama
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pip

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

Greetings! I've been playing around with the InDev for much of today (can't wait for the KickStarter to finish so we can start submitting our concepts for in-game stuff!), and have a few suggestions that I haven't seen mentioned in the other threads as yet, or in the compilation. Sorry if any are repeats!

1) Employee/Resident data and clickability

Not sure what else to call this one. What I mean is this: when you select a building, it shows a little portrait of each employee or resident of that structure. On mouse over, it tells you their name, but nothing further. I would suggest/request/beg the following:

A) On mouse over, in addition to the name, have it bring up the citizen's vital stats. If it's possible for the citizen to be highlighted as well when you do this (a box around them, similar to as if you had selected them directly) that would be ideal.

B) If you actually click on the little portrait, have it jump fully to that citizen (select them and center the screen on them).

We may not have direct control over the citizens, but this kind of info is still very helpful for troubleshooting issues and figuring out what one needs to change.

2) Gates

Walls are great, but having to leave a gaping hole in there for the villagers to pass through isn't! I assume this sort of thing isn't considered to be a priority until the mobs are added to the game, but just in case it had slipped from the radar, please do include these! Humans have been building gated walls for as far back as we have an anthropological record. A good gate is probably one of the earliest forms of static defense ever developed. Gotta have 'em!

3) New Citizen behavior/indicator

It's pretty rare to get new citizens (birth rate it pretty low, at least from what I've experienced so far), and I'm not aware that there is presently any indicator of when you get one, unless you frequently check your total citizen count. Furthermore, when a new citizen becomes available, they don't have an assignment. I would suggest having some sort of alert when a new citizen becomes available, or perhaps just a small icon that appears on the top status bar indicating a citizen (with a little 1x, 2x, etc) without a job assignment. Personally, I'd love it if new citizens simply defaulted to being assigned as a worker at the town center, but I can see how some folks might not want that in more advanced games with significantly high populations that they're regulating carefully.

Boss Llama

Fear the Goats!

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,924 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

1) All of this is planned already. ;)

2) Gates are also planned. Possibly bridges as well.

3) I was actually going to add a little sound effect when a new villager is born, there's a lot of missing informational tones and messages I would like to eventually add. Although how it'll all play out is a bit up in the air. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 Boss Llama

Boss Llama
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pip

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

3) I was actually going to add a little sound effect when a new villager is born, there's a lot of missing informational tones and messages I would like to eventually add. Although how it'll all play out is a bit up in the air. ;)

Huzzah!

Boss Llama

Fear the Goats!

#4 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

Edit: Okay, nope. that joke is too dirty. Delete! 

This sounds worse than it is...

Anyway, i like his ideas, Cool that he checked before posting them too ;)r

#5 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

Your Baaaaaaaaad.

(Get it?)  ^_^

I like everything all the ideas. Pause button should have first priority though  :P

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users