[Indev 30 - Windows 10] Game breaks when closed by Steam
3 replies to this topic - Started By Tenebrys, Apr 22 2018 07:56 PM

#1 Tenebrys

Tenebrys
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

I ran into what appears to be a fairly nasty, consistent glitch.

If the game is running through Steam, then when the Steam client is closed, it attempts to close Rise to Ruins as well.  However, Steam appears to only be able to close the Rise to Ruins window -- the game continues to run, with audible music, sound effects, and time-of-day-change cues playing in the background.  I cannot alt-tab back into the game when this happens, nor get back to it in any way I've found to close it manually.

The only way I've found to close Rise to Ruins, when this happens, is to open the task manager and terminate javaw.exe.

Operating System: Windows 10

Java: Unknown.

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (3.30 ghz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 660

What I was doing: Trying to enable broadcasting in Steam while Rise to Ruins was running, which Steam responded to by asking for a restart.  I've been able to replicate this glitch by simply opening Rise to Ruins in Steam, then closing Steam from the system tray.

#2 roCKET

roCKET
  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

Why would the Steam client close? Mine never does. 

#3 Tenebrys

Tenebrys
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

The Steam client can close if it's told to, such as by right-clicking it from the system tray and clicking "Exit" or if it has installed a new update and wants to restart.  If Rise to Ruins is running when this is done, then Rise to Ruins does not fully close, and enters a state where it is still running and taking up system resources, but can only be shut down from the task manager.  Additionally, it prevents Steam from fully closing either, without being forced to:

qQCjFQL.png

I just tested this again on Indev 30c, and the glitch is still there.  To confirm the existence of this glitch, simply open Rise to Ruins from Steam, then close Steam from the system tray, and watch/listen to what happens.  This is not normal behavior when a computer program is told to close.

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,874 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

Sorry for the slow reply, did a bunch of digging, it seems recently Steam changed how the client passes over "playing" status from one app to another.

As silly as this sounds, if your game crashed, you need to close notepad (that contains the crash log) to "turn off" the game. Steam's client is passing the game running state from the Rise to Ruins -> Notepad (or whatever text editor is default) because the game is opening notepad right as it crashes and Steam is assuming the application is running.

Sitting there stuck saying "Waiting for Rise to Ruins.." is really saying "Waiting for you to close the crash log that popped up". :)

If it *didn't* crash and it's still running in the background, you'll just have to keep closing "javaw" in your task manager until I fix the background running issues. As for alt-tabbing itself, I'm looking into a solution to stop that from happening. I may just allow the simulation to continue running while alt-tabbed.

Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users