• Please log in to reply
RE: Early prototype concept for a new spell icon style. Thoughts?
4 replies to this topic - Started By loner, Jan 20 2018 03:21 PM

#1 loner

loner
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Pip

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

Just saw this Rayvolution's post on twitter.

I have background in art and graphic design, so I wanted to provide some feedback but don't have a twitter account (and not planning to make one cause reasons, sorry). I'll keep this brief and to the point:

DT9tQBhXcAALP4D.jpg

THE GOOD:
- Art style more consistent with the game.
- Icons (potentially) easier to understand due to simpler shapes and good contrast.

THE BAD:
- No color-coding. This makes it hard to quickly distinguish spells by type (offensive/defensive/utility/etc.).
- Current prototype a bit too minimalistic. Most likely because new icons only consist of 2 solid colors, whereas the rest of the game always has some kind of subtle texture.
- Some of the new icons are somewhat confusing and it's not obvious what those spells should do.

SUGGESTIONS / SOLUTIONS:
- Icons *definitely* need different background colors depending on what type of spell it is. Ideas:
Offensive spells - red - (Earthquake, Flame, Fireball, Storm etc.)
Defensive spells - blue - (Heal, Holy Golem, Banish)
Utility spells - green - (Grab, Recall, Dissolve, Growth, Resurrect)
OLOTnep.png

If you want to go the extra mile - consider adding different icon frames for single-target, AoE and summon spells.

- Add a subtle texture to the background rather than it being solid color.
1hPAc1G.png

- Keep the icon shapes consistent. You have some that are filled shapes (heal, earthquake, fireball), and some that are just outlines (holy golem, raincloud, and whatever those drawers with arrows are).
ZY3K7cG.png

I think filled shapes are easier to understand, but if you're going to have more than 1 shade of gray (which you already do) - you'll need to distinguish them more. Right now they blend together too easily.

- Some icons are simply confusing and it's not clear what they're supposed to do. Unfortunately this is not something I can simply explain in words, and I don't have the time to straight up design some examples myself. I suggest using an image search for some inspiration and find icons that will more easily create the right associations in players' minds.

Some pointers:
- The cross on AoE heal shouldn't have rounded corners because it loses the association with first-aid cross.
- The crack on the Earthquake icon looks flat. : Here's an example of what you should aim for.
- Holy golem icon always looked confusing to me. Is it a shield? What are those random little dots and notches on it then? Is that a golem head? Why is it shaped like a shield? Is that even a face? The details are too small to make out.

-----------

Thank you for your hard work and I hope you'll take these things into consideration. :)

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,886 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

Actually a lot of what you're suggesting is already underway. What you saw was an extremely early prototype. :)

Here's the latest;

DUA_MurVAAAZCcp.jpg

Also going to organize the icons themselves into sub categories once everything is done. But I haven't decided how quite yet.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 loner

loner
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Pip

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

Awesome, looks much better! I figured the first image was just an early prototype, but didn't know how much of what I mentioned you were aware of. Seems like you've got it though. :)

As far as organizing them:
Whatever you do, please avoid putting them in different tabs / windows, in order to avoid the (with all due respect) click-hell that the build menu is. Expect players to be using more than 5 spells frequently, so they'll need quick and easy access to the full list.

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,886 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

Awesome, looks much better! I figured the first image was just an early prototype, but didn't know how much of what I mentioned you were aware of. Seems like you've got it though. :)

As far as organizing them:
Whatever you do, please avoid putting them in different tabs / windows, in order to avoid the (with all due respect) click-hell that the build menu is. Expect players to be using more than 5 spells frequently, so they'll need quick and easy access to the full list.

Totally agree on no extra pages. If I ever go that route, it'll be by force (Too many spells to reasonably fit on the GUI). For now, everything is in the single pop out, sorted by spell type, 1 row per type.

If I could wave my hands and magically take away the need for pages on the left and right panels, I would, but there's not much I can do with so many options. ;)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Shaders...Ellipses

Shaders...Ellipses
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:shade...
  • LocationTexas (same as Dev)

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

man haven't been here in awhile but looks good

76561198062323960.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic