1 reply to this topic - Started By Arrevax, Dec 05 2017 08:51 PM

#1 Arrevax

Arrevax
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Arrevax

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

This post will probably end up becoming a little excessive, so I'll try to separate easier/more realistic improvements from stuff that I'd just really love to see.

Improvements:

• Allowing waymakers to dig deeper water holes. Natural ponds have deeper spots that take longer to freeze, which allows water masters a little more time to gather water in winter. A related thing: growing taller trees with "motivate land" and taller rocks/mountains when using Earthquake.
  • It might be more due to population creeping up before the first winter than an actual "flaw", but water is scarce, like food, in winter because of snow instead of rain, frozen ponds, and hail. There could at least be a tip about saving up water before winter.
  • Golems have no resistances or weaknesses, only a damage type and some health and stat variance. It would be nice to have more differentiation between the golems, especially if more hostile mobs are added with more varied resistances, weaknesses, and damage types. Which reminds me— poison wood golems are a bad choice right now.
  • Builders almost never perform repairs if there's construction or building upgrades to do. This could be fixed by adding a dedicated repair job if it isn't possible to just change the basic prioritization of the builder job. Alternatively, one of the golem types (probably wood) could be given the ability to repair all buildings, while the other two act as dedicated tough melee/fragile ranged defenders.
  • Diagonal roads. They currently look like a mess, and making the roads zig-zag is a waste of resources and space.
  • Pausing during autosaves. The game currently lags during autosaves, which can cause deaths and a loss of essence if the player was holding something during the autosave.
  • Building tooltips (other than the ones in the build menu).
  • Faster withdrawal of essence from essence collectors. Constantly having to scoot the screen back to the collectors and wait for a recharge is a dull chore.

Suggestions/Ideas:

• Automated creation of new stone and wood resources via motivators, like the Crystal motivator. Alternatively, there could be a "forester" job and permanent stone mines that miners can enter (I think I remember Ray speaking out against this, but it could be made less "artificial" if the mine produces large stones or minecarts filled with non-resource stone that the miners have to break down into regular resource rocks, along with a chance for gold/iron ore).
  • Larger maps. I like the size of buildings (they're fairly proportional to the size of villagers, which I like a lot), but a late-game town takes up a lot of space.
  • Randomly-generated maps! Given that RtR is based around building up a town and surviving as long as possible, providing randomly-generated landscapes to adapt to would provide potentially endless replay value.
  • More biomes with more gameplay-affecting features, like the tar pits and dead trees in Newdragon. The base terrain itself (ex: sandstone, sand, dark green grass, light green grass, dirt) could have more effects on gameplay, like farm production speed, and perhaps more terraforming spells could be added to manipulate that (ex: kill or grow grass to change soil fertility and movement speed).
  • A higher-quality food tier. Kitchens could produce "meals" that restore more hunger and provide happiness, but require more time/food to produce and maybe decay. Perhaps this could be designed in a similar way as farms; the chefs could place cooked meals on a table, where they would be eaten or eventually rot and disappear (with no option for long-term storage).
  • More enemies, with stronger miniboss/boss enemies appearing very rarely and/or from spawns that aren't dealt with after a long period of time.
  • "Caster" job and/or enemy type. Something like a priest that buffs/heals allies while using up essence (perhaps via a staff that he/she has to craft) or a wizard that uses AOE attacks with magic/elemental damage types. Crylithium could be refined into a magic ammo instead of having a "caster" use essence. The hostile equivalent could be that same wizard, or, better yet, a necromancer that resurrects corpses and uses cold/poison ranged attacks.
  • A "church"/"temple" building that specifically deals with corpses. This could be the source of the villager "caster" job. It could have a graveyard where corpses are buried for bonus essence (slightly more than letting a body rot or poking it until it disappears, but less than dropping a live entity into a Cullis Gate), and villagers could visit it for a happiness boost.
  • More visible villager equipment. Visible shields, tools (not just the generic grey rectangle), weapons, armor, and helmets. Visible armor might cover up the colored shirts of different jobs; this could be counteracted by providing more colors on the rest of villager sprites (gloves, shoulder areas, shoes, pants).

Thanks to anyone who actually read all of this!

#2 Bolgfred

Bolgfred
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:00 AM

• Allowing waymakers to dig deeper water holes. Natural ponds have deeper spots that take longer to freeze, which allows water masters a little more time to gather water in winter. A related thing: growing taller trees with "motivate land" and taller rocks/mountains when using Earthquake.

=> AFAIK They already do. When winter ends I see the darker/deeper Tiles unfreeznig first. Think you only have to dig larger holes.

Beyond that I don't see any necessarity in this, as the thing you are talking about is a well, which is already in the game

• Golems have no resistances or weaknesses, only a damage type and some health and stat variance. It would be nice to have more differentiation between the golems, especially if more hostile mobs are added with more varied resistances, weaknesses, and damage types. Which reminds me— poison wood golems are a bad choice right now.

=> Agreed on that. By Now only Fire/Ice stone golems seem to make sense to me. Crystal sucks in every color. Actually I think there will be a damage/resistance rework when new enemies are added to the game. Don't think it makes sense to change something before planned content is added.

• Builders almost never perform repairs if there's construction or building upgrades to do. This could be fixed by adding a dedicated repair job if it isn't possible to just change the basic prioritization of the builder job. Alternatively, one of the golem types (probably wood) could be given the ability to repair all buildings, while the other two act as dedicated tough melee/fragile ranged defenders.

=> Dunno if including golems in building is such a good idea. A simple solution on this could be, that building priorities are used for reparing aswell, so you can control when what gets repaired on priority

• Diagonal roads. They currently look like a mess, and making the roads zig-zag is a waste of resources and space.

=> True.

• Pausing during autosaves. The game currently lags during autosaves, which can cause deaths and a loss of essence if the player was holding something during the autosave.

=> How long does your saving need? I usually am around 150ms. If you're pissed on autosave you can deactivate it in the menu. If it's for me it saves way too often. 

• Building tooltips (other than the ones in the build menu).

=> Here I'd wish to see a upgrade overview

• Faster withdrawal of essence from essence collectors. Constantly having to scoot the screen back to the collectors and wait for a recharge is a dull chore.

=> You can build them next to each other. I isually build 3x3 stacks, so I can collect from 9 collectors at the same time, filling me up in no time.

Suggestions/Ideas:

• Automated creation of new stone and wood resources via motivators, like the Crystal motivator. Alternatively, there could be a "forester" job and permanent stone mines that miners can enter (I think I remember Ray speaking out against this, but it could be made less "artificial" if the mine produces large stones or minecarts filled with non-resource stone that the miners have to break down into regular resource rocks, along with a chance for gold/iron ore).

=> Forester? Maybe. But please no no no, Not a stone farmer. I'd suggest you try to mine all stone on the map. I wouldn't wonder if there will be over 1.000.000 units of stone on a map, so running out of stone is mostly impossible. Plus, it's the point of ressources that they can deplete, else they loose their value.

I really like the fact that trees can regrow... but do it slow. By this one doesn't have to fear to run out of ammo, but you cannot run your whole town with a 5x5 forest.

• Larger maps. I like the size of buildings (they're fairly proportional to the size of villagers, which I like a lot), but a late-game town takes up a lot of space.

=> I haven't played games with more than 300 villagers, but rarely had space problems, as most buildings need only to be placed once. Maybe you need to Tetris better.

• Randomly-generated maps! Given that RtR is based around building up a town and surviving as long as possible, providing randomly-generated landscapes to adapt to would provide potentially endless replay value.

=> RNG is mostly not so easy to make, and the results are often not that much harmonic. For my playstyle actually I don't care about the map, because If will shape it anyway the way I need, but the fact that it is a hand made, themed scenario, makes it just feel more beautiful.

I am not against it, but I don't thing rng maps can get as cool as the predesigned ones.

• More biomes with more gameplay-affecting features, like the tar pits and dead trees in Newdragon. The base terrain itself (ex: sandstone, sand, dark green grass, light green grass, dirt) could have more effects on gameplay, like farm production speed, and perhaps more terraforming spells could be added to manipulate that (ex: kill or grow grass to change soil fertility and movement speed).

=> Actually the existing biomes need some kind of personality, but I think Ray already said of doing something like this... ...in some far future or something.

• A higher-quality food tier. Kitchens could produce "meals" that restore more hunger and provide happiness, but require more time/food to produce and maybe decay. Perhaps this could be designed in a similar way as farms; the chefs could place cooked meals on a table, where they would be eaten or eventually rot and disappear (with no option for long-term storage).

=> I think food spoilage would be very annoying. About the food quality, I think it would be cool if the game differs by the number of raw food types available, make a difference, giving nutriens or happiness boosts or something.

• "Caster" job and/or enemy type. Something like a priest that buffs/heals allies while using up essence (perhaps via a staff that he/she has to craft) or a wizard that uses AOE attacks with magic/elemental damage types. Crylithium could be refined into a magic ammo instead of having a "caster" use essence. The hostile equivalent could be that same wizard, or, better yet, a necromancer that resurrects corpses and uses cold/poison ranged attacks.

=> I would love to see a witch-hut-spawner. Witches flying on a broom, shooting greenish things. God I would love to shoot down a witch with a ballista.

• A "church"/"temple" building that specifically deals with corpses. This could be the source of the villager "caster" job. It could have a graveyard where corpses are buried for bonus essence (slightly more than letting a body rot or poking it until it disappears, but less than dropping a live entity into a Cullis Gate), and villagers could visit it for a happiness boost.

=> Balphire had a cool suggestion on a cementary, look here.

• More visible villager equipment. Visible shields, tools (not just the generic grey rectangle), weapons, armor, and helmets. Visible armor might cover up the colored shirts of different jobs; this could be counteracted by providing more colors on the rest of villager sprites (gloves, shoulder areas, shoes, pants).

=> True That. I'd with to notice when my villager wearing some stuff or not. After I spend a lot of work, turning them into tin cans, I want them to look like tin cans.

Thanks to anyone who actually read all of this!

=> Youre welcome. Maybe next time put every idea in a single topic, or add them so an existing one. Topics like this, having not a specific topic and topic name, are not very helpful in realising ideas, as they will quickly be forgotten and it's more difficult to argue about them. Better refine a single idea first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users