Rojo10000
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rojo10000
  • LocationC√≥rdoba, Spain

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

Hello, I'm Rojo10000 :)

My suggestion in three words: android and iOS. I know that is very hard, and that there is only one person programming. But it could be in a future :P

Who knows...

#2 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

Slick2D (the game's engine) doesn't seem to support mobile platforms out of the box. So it's going to be quite a challenge if Ray decides to adapt the game for Android and iOS :)

#3 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:cheeselumps
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:39 AM

Like balkep said, it's slick2d. And if it was ever to go on ISO Orr android then I feel what won't be in a couple of years yet...

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,923 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

Yep, sadly mobile support is not planned. If the game because massively popular I may consider hiring someone to do it for me though.

The problem goes beyond just Slick2D not being natively mobile, I'm only one person. I just can't support the game on so many platforms all by myself. :(

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Yep, sadly mobile support is not planned. If the game because massively popular I may consider hiring someone to do it for me though.

The problem goes beyond just Slick2D not being natively mobile, I'm only one person. I just can't support the game on so many platforms all by myself. :(

One person with many skills* :D

#6 JsantheCandyman

JsantheCandyman
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

Well, he can't release to mobile markets unless he releases to XBone at the same time, to establish parity with console markets.

#7 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

Well, he can't release to mobile markets unless he releases to XBone at the same time, to establish parity with console markets.

Not sure where you got that from, he could (relatively) easily release this on android as it kind of supports java apps. I managed to use libGDX to get a small game to work on my sisters android phone (I have no phone) and it had no issues, except for the fact the phone screen was very small for the resolution it gave (so all the text was tiny).

#8 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

Not sure where you got that from, he could (relatively) easily release this on android as it kind of supports java apps. I managed to use libGDX to get a small game to work on my sisters android phone (I have no phone) and it had no issues, except for the fact the phone screen was very small for the resolution it gave (so all the text was tiny).

Well, LibGDX supports mobile platforms and GWT out of the box, so launching something made with it on a mobile device is quite easy really. Making an engine that doesn't have this kind of cross-platform compatibility support those platforms would require much more effort.

Redesigning controls and input feedback is another tricky aspect. Making sure the performance is decent and the game doesn't hurt the battery life too much is even more difficult. And the resolution problem you've mentioned - it'll affect a game like RPC a lot.

With all these issues, it's understandable why Ray is not planning to release on mobile platforms, at least at the moment.

#9 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

Well, LibGDX supports mobile platforms and GWT out of the box, so launching something made with it on a mobile device is quite easy really. Making an engine that doesn't have this kind of cross-platform compatibility support those platforms would require much more effort.

Redesigning controls and input feedback is another tricky aspect. Making sure the performance is decent and the game doesn't hurt the battery life too much is even more difficult. And the resolution problem you've mentioned - it'll affect a game like RPC a lot.

With all these issues, it's understandable why Ray is not planning to release on mobile platforms, at least at the moment.

My point was that he doesn't have to release it onto a console to release it onto phones, not that it would in any way be practical to do so.

Rewriting the engine to use libGDX would obviously be a fair bit of work, but IMO I think it might be worth it. I'm not sure what kind of drawbacks Slick2D has, but at the very least, maximising would work properly, as it gets annoying after a while.

#10 Balkep

Balkep
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

My point was that he doesn't have to release it onto a console to release it onto phones, not that it would in any way be practical to do so.

Rewriting the engine to use libGDX would obviously be a fair bit of work, but IMO I think it might be worth it. I'm not sure what kind of drawbacks Slick2D has, but at the very least, maximising would work properly, as it gets annoying after a while.

It's probably a good idea to take the "consoles" idea with a grain of salt when it's written by a random forum user, who is not a part of the dev team ;)

#11 JsantheCandyman

JsantheCandyman
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

I was just joking about a policy Microsoft has for indie games. They don't want indie developers releasing to other consoles before the XBox, so they have a policy that they must release at the same time. They're claiming that they want the XBox to be a "first-class experience".

Here's a link to an article talking about it: http://www.escapistm...eel-First-Class

#12 zblu64

zblu64
  • Staff
  • 104 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:zblu64
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

It's ok Jsan.  I got that you were joking.  :-)

You can't get there from here

#13 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

I was just joking about a policy Microsoft has for indie games. They don't want indie developers releasing to other consoles before the XBox, so they have a policy that they must release at the same time. They're claiming that they want the XBox to be a "first-class experience".

Here's a link to an article talking about it: http://www.escapistm...eel-First-Class

I'll just add that to my imaginary list of reasons never to own or code for an xbox.

#14 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

I'll just add that to my imaginary list of reasons never to own or code for an xbox.

Nuh, Correction: Xbox one. Xbox 360 was good but the xbox one seems bad :I

#15 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

Nuh, Correction: Xbox one. Xbox 360 was good but the xbox one seems bad :I

Having owned two xbox 360s, I can say they weren't exactly satisfactory. The first ended up being a doorstop, and the second is currently a footrest. I'll take the original xbox, before all the multimedia stuff got thrown onto it, thanks.

(same applies to PS, I turned down a PS3 a couple christmas' back because I had my PC, it's now the family PS3 and I used to rarely go on LBP2 to mess around)

#16 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Having owned two xbox 360s, I can say they weren't exactly satisfactory. The first ended up being a doorstop, and the second is currently a footrest. I'll take the original xbox, before all the multimedia stuff got thrown onto it, thanks.

(same applies to PS, I turned down a PS3 a couple christmas' back because I had my PC, it's now the family PS3 and I used to rarely go on LBP2 to mess around)

I've had one xbox 360, it's not used often but it's only ever had one problem. so i found no problem with it, other than the fact it's fps wasn't great nor the grahpics, other than that, pretty good and let just say something, the only problem was the four red rings of death. and that's because a family member was using it... at late night... fell asleep and it was on for too long... -_-

#17 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

I've had one xbox 360, it's not used often but it's only ever had one problem. so i found no problem with it, other than the fact it's fps wasn't great nor the grahpics, other than that, pretty good and let just say something, the only problem was the four red rings of death. and that's because a family member was using it... at late night... fell asleep and it was on for too long... -_-

Xbox is junk, Playstations don't overheat. My last PS2 lasted an entire decade before it stopped reading disks and I played it like almost every day. lol

#18 Luka

Luka
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

Xbox is junk, Playstations don't overheat. My last PS2 lasted an entire decade before it stopped reading disks and I played it like almost every day. lol

Xbox isn't that bad, I've had a Wii, PS1 & 2 (i can only remember the PS2) and to be honest i prefers the xboxs layout. But let me just say, their both good in their own ways, And here's a problem with both,  My PS2 wouldn't never read player cards(or was this PS1, i really can't remember.) without blowing on them, and the xbox disk tray was annoying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suggestion, Android, iOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users