Question about villager assignment in Dev28
3 replies to this topic - Started By bibliolytic, Oct 15 2017 01:08 PM

#1 bibliolytic

bibliolytic
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hihi, longtime fan and lurker here (awesome game by the way). I have a question about the new system for manufacturing higher-tier goods: 

Right now, I assign villagers until the green number goes red (I don't know if that's even the best way?). If I have 2 people making boards, and my limit is 20, and I have 20, what do they do now? Do they default to some behavior or are they just useless? Does that mean I should actually over-assign my workers under the assumption that some tasks are just done rarely?

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,890 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Right before it turns red is good. That means you're using all your villagers. Red means you've assigned more villagers to job slots than you actually have villagers in the village. For exmaple, say you have 10 villagers, and you assign 5 to be builders and 6 to be lumberjacks, the text will turn red, because to fill all the requested slots you'd need 11 villagers. You'll be fine really, as you'll just end up with 5 of each. Once a child grows up or a nomad joins the village they'll automatically try to fill that 11th slot. So all in all it's not a big deal if it's red, it just means you can't satisfy the request.

As for the boards, you're correct. If you set it to maintain 20 boards, and you create 20 boards, the carpenters will for the most part just stop working as they have nothing else to do. But they may do some side tasks, like taking extra logs around the village to the lumber mill to eventually be processed. But generally speaking they're just going to idle, especially if the lumber mill is full.

Some workers won't idle though, it really depends on the worker and what their job is. Medics for example will wander around the heal people if they've met all their manufacturing needs.

In the future when more complex jobs are added I may end up with some side tasks for everybody. We'll see. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 bibliolytic

bibliolytic
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the response!

Right now I usually take people off a task once I have enough materials in it -- I guess that's the best way for now, since that keeps everyone maximally occupied, even though it's a bit more work for me

#4 Xrave

Xrave
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:49 AM

@Rayvolution, can satisfied job slots get highlighted (or something like, Working+Travelling to job+Idle instead of Working+Travelling)? This will help with micromanagement greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users