• Please log in to reply
PSA: Turn off Steam Cloud! Your save data is at risk.
4 replies to this topic - Started By Rayvolution, Aug 18 2017 12:20 PM

#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,915 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

There seems to be an issue with Rise to Ruins in the last few days, and appears to be something on Valve's end and out of my control. It is causing user's save data to be corrupted when they save and exit the game. It appears Steam Cloud is erroneously syncing corrupted data for some players.

In the mean time, I have disabled Auto-Cloud on my end within Steamworks, but it does not appear to be solving the problem for everybody. I strongly suggest you should disable Cloud Saving for Rise to Ruins and restart your client just to be safe.

1) In your Steam Library, right-click on Rise to Ruins and select "Properties."
2) Click the "Updates" tab.
3) Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Rise to Ruins."
4) Click "Close."
5) Restart Steam.

Sorry in advance for anyone who loses their data! Hopefully this issue will be resolved as fast as possible. But disabling Steam Cloud should protect you. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 rwv37

rwv37
  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pip

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the warning.  Could you please tell us when you think it's safe to turn it back on?

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,915 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the warning.  Could you please tell us when you think it's safe to turn it back on?

Depending on how things do I *may* have to disable it entirely until I get Steamworks support fully implemented, as I don't entirely trust the "Auto-Cloud" system. I may ask Valve if there's a way I can turn it back on, but have it disabled by default per-user, so they can turn it on, on their own.

Once full Steamwork support is added (Workshop, Achievements, Cards, Cloud, etc) it shouldn't be a problem though.
Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 rwv37

rwv37
  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pip

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

I'm sorry, I think I phrased that poorly.  I didn't mean "when do you think it will be safe"; I meant "if there ever comes a time when you think it's safe, could you please let us know so at that time".

#5 Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle
  • Moderators
  • 105 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I'm sorry, I think I phrased that poorly.  I didn't mean "when do you think it will be safe"; I meant "if there ever comes a time when you think it's safe, could you please let us know so at that time".

Good news, Steam Sync has been re-enabled for the game and saves are syncing up fine! You should now be able to enjoy RtR on all your computers and laptops and keep the same village going across them, especially with the new save system which is aimed at future proofing the save system as much as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users