Roads
3 replies to this topic - Started By rwv37, Jul 06 2017 03:22 PM

#1 rwv37

rwv37
  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

The "Should we allow more direct control" post today made me think of something that I really, really think should have much less direct control: Roads.

Building, upgrading, and maintaining roads is a total pain, especially in a large village.  It's crazy - a large percentage of my game time is spent literally poring over the map searching for more individual tiles that now can be upgraded, or that now need to be maintained.  Not to be overly critical, but honestly, it's not at all fun; it's a laborious chore.

And in a more theoretical, less practical sense, it doesn't really seem to make much sense given the "You don't have direct control" ethos that leads to decisions like "You can't tell the villagers what to store in what buildings".  It seems like the polar opposite of that - I mean, really, this supposedly indirect god has to tell villagers "Looks like that particular square yard of log path can be upgraded to stone now!"?

I suggest that waymakers don't really need direct control at all.  They could just autonomously build, upgrade, and maintain roads based upon where people actually walk.

If you want, you could still allow direct control of them for the rare edge cases where you want to do something like build a road in advance of it being a useful/used road.  Or in case there is someone somewhere out there who actually enjoys dealing with roads as they are today.  But I dunno, something like an "OK, waymakers, do your thing now" on/off switch would, I feel, be a huge improvement to the game.

#2 London2

London2
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

I agree that the current state of roads definitely goes against the low-micromanagement aspect of the game, and isn't particularly fun.  I propose a middle ground solution (maybe temporary) that would be much easier to implement than an autonomous road system:  What if you had an extra option beside laying roads (maybe ctrl-click?) that would tell waymakers to lay roads all the way to max level on the square.  So you click once and that square is queued to be fully upgraded.  No more coming back 5-10 times as waymakers partially upgrade the road, requiring a reassignment to continue upgrading each time.

If an autonomous system is adopted, maybe leave in the option for manual selection/roadbuilding as a spell, to encourage using the built in system of letting the villagers decide for themselves what paths are most traveled.

#3 rwv37

rwv37
  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pip

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

"Lay to max" sounds good to me.

#4 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yes, I have been pointing this out too. Its just not fun, its tedious... but at the same time I like the ability to place roads. I think a good in between would be that the waymaker's automatically upgrade the roads. They could upgrade the path's the villager's themselves place (which would be great as that is most traveled paths) and what ever tiles you choose to put a path in a 'one time' place fashion. Afterward they are maintained and upgraded automatically assuming resources are available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users