3 replies to this topic - Started By RaveN24, Jul 02 2017 01:44 AM

#1 RaveN24

RaveN24
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:/id/DaS_

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

Heyo, RaveN (aka Reed from discord) here . 

I am going to do the same as Kiyalynn. All from me in one thread. I have a huge list of suggestions, improvements and things that I think could be done better. 

I did not read other threads so excuse me if I suggested something that was already posted by someone else or discussed in another thread. I am new here and I will try to check all the recent threads soon =)

First - things that I find annoying:

Events

Someone died, Nomads etc. I wish to be able to click on this:

Zp4jAyD.png

so it takes me to the place where Nomads appeared, someone died etc. It would be very useful.

F4 - Hide UI

It should hide more, everything: building progress, low energy, pause icon, cursor tooltip, etc.

iDYI5s9.png

Wall upgrade

Why not? It's not bigger, all the types are 1x1 so it just should be possible.

Double paths, building overlapping

It should be possible to construct a building / place it when yellow zones are overlapping.

qsRdHZ1.png

I noticed that there's also a red zone under the building itself so it would work this way:

You can place a building if it overlaps another building's yellow zone but not red. 

It would let us make 1 tile wide paths between buildings (now it have to be 2 tile wide). The only thing that would have to be done is expanding the red zone under some of the buildings. There should be 1x1 or 2x1 red tile by entrances to prevent placing a wall so it's more realistic. 

Here's an example:

r26YZLJ.png

No idea if anyone understood what I mean > :P

Building rotating

I know it may be added later. It's a must have thing!

Deleting buildings, walls

I have to click every tile of the wall to dismantle it. What about "hold and draw" just like with selecting things to harvest?

Windows and brush status

I wish it remembers the size of my brush, status of the log window (the one on the bottom, I have it smaller) so I don't have to minimize it every time I load the map. Would be cool but meh, not that much needed.

Moving windows 

Map window for example, would be awesome.

This:

EClBA8e.png

Mess! Icons are too big, particle effects are not needed or could be reduced.

Upgradeable pits

Same as with walls, why not?

Now the other things, bugs and things that should not work as they currently do.

Nomads

They should not attack everything that's on their way. Monsters are fine but damn graveyards? Eww.

In my opinion, monsters killed by Nomands should not drop essence or whatever this green thing is called. 

Monster paths

I don't like them. I wish monsters do not do them or they just disappear after some time, faster.

Fire monster spawners (pits) (forgot the damn name)

Can be shrekt by fireballs. Defeat fire with fire? No plz.

Hot when raining?

I am not sure how it works but my villagers are hot even when it's raining. They should not be or cool down a bit?

Building range reduced after placing a wall. 

It's kinda stupid and sometimes cause villager to be unable to go outside to dismantle or finish the wall. I am not sure if this done on purpose but it's annoying.

Bridges

I think it could be cool to have them, maybe wooden and also stone that could be built over the lava? (Idk how lava works, did not play on them ap with it yet). Bridges would be just cool in the map editor.

Mouse scrolling

When hovering on those (especially in the editor):

3c52il0.png

Scrolling down = next page 

Night

It's ugly. So bright.

VDNKmeh.jpg

Buildings, fire pits etc. should generate light and it should be more yellow/orange. (I know they do right know but radius and color is bad). Light should be created just around the buildings and it should be animated, simulate the light of campfire - getting brighter and darker if you know what I mean.

Taking from Limbo

Even when it's empty, it uses the energy aka influence. It takes it from the blue bar but you get nothing.

Editor - hole

Once created it's impossible to erase it. Easy way to mess up the map.

Editor shortcuts

ctrl+y, ctrl+z to redo/undo?

That's it for now. There is probably some stuff I forgot and much more I did not discover yet so expect more soon. Thanks.

#2 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

Events
Someone died, Nomads etc. I wish to be able to click on this:
so it takes me to the place where Nomads appeared, someone died etc. It would be very useful.

Sadly a no-go, I tried something like this when first implementing the banners, and it was *very* annoying, you'd constantly click on it by accident or be unable to "use" the screen when multiple action occurred (especially on lower resolution displays). But I may make the console (bottom) clickable someday.

F4 - Hide UI
It should hide more, everything: building progress, low energy, pause icon, cursor tooltip, etc.

Agreed. Will probably fiddle with it next time I'm fiddling with UI. ;)

Wall upgrade
Why not? It's not bigger, all the types are 1x1 so it just should be possible.

I have not decided how it'll work yet to be honest. I was actually tossing around the idea each wall type would have its own upgrades. (Like Wood to Barbed Wire Wood, or Stone to Spiked Stone, etc). Again, it's another area I have no quite worked out how I want it yet though. Be nice if each wall had an overall purpose, rather than just being higher hit point versions of the others.

Double paths, building overlapping
It should be possible to construct a building / place it when yellow zones are overlapping.

Not possible in the engine. That buffer around the building is part of the actual building, and many building utilize the space (even though you can walk on it). No two buildings can ever overlap, or the engine would explode. Additionally, the buffer has to be there, else players could make "Walls of buildings" and just really muck up the game play. Sadly, the result means there has to basically always be 2 open tiles between almost everything.

Building rotating
I know it may be added later. It's a must have thing!

Someday maybe. ;)

Deleting buildings, walls
I have to click every tile of the wall to dismantle it. What about "hold and draw" just like with selecting things to harvest?

I'll add it to my list of UI tweaks when I redo wall/road placement mechanics.

Windows and brush status
I wish it remembers the size of my brush, status of the log window (the one on the bottom, I have it smaller) so I don't have to minimize it every time I load the map. Would be cool but meh, not that much needed.

Already on my UI tweaks list. :)

Moving windows
Map window for example, would be awesome.

This ones a huge "maybe". I want this feature too, but draggable windows are much more complicated to program than static ones.

Mess! Icons are too big, particle effects are not needed or could be reduced.

Agreed, also on the UI tweak list already. :)

Upgradeable pits
Same as with walls, why not?

Planned, actually going to remove the small and large fire pits entirely, and replace them with a simple "Fire Pit" that has 2 upgrades, each one expanding range/light a bit.

Nomads
They should not attack everything that's on their way. Monsters are fine but damn graveyards? Eww.

I'm hoping to fix this up a bit in InDev 27, a lot of the new guard AI will probably be "imprinted" onto Nomads, so I'm going to attempt to give them an overall smarter grouping mechanics and fight or flight mechanics.

In my opinion, monsters killed by Nomands should not drop essence or whatever this green thing is called.

Well, essence aren't "rewards" when your village/you do things, it's just the living part of everything killed being released. So it wouldn't make sense if Nomads didn't generate it as well. Even random lightning strikes hitting trees can generate it.

I don't like them. I wish monsters do not do them or they just disappear after some time, faster.

I agree they're quite ugly. I'm having the internal struggle between visuals and realism. The paths are just a natural side effect of walking on a single space over and over, why wouldn't monsters also make them too?

Fire monster spawners (pits) (forgot the damn name)
Can be shrekt by fireballs. Defeat fire with fire? No plz.

That'll be fixed when I add damage types to buildings. :)

Hot when raining?
I am not sure how it works but my villagers are hot even when it's raining. They should not be or cool down a bit?

They actually do, it also reduces the overall temperature in the region when it's raining. Although if the villager is already extremely hot it may not do quite as much. I may tweak it a bit. I'd also like rain to stop the thirst bar from moving down (But not replenish it) to mimic some "mild" hydration effects when you're out in the rain.

Building range reduced after placing a wall.
It's kinda stupid and sometimes cause villager to be unable to go outside to dismantle or finish the wall. I am not sure if this done on purpose but it's annoying.

Building range is determined by walking distance from A to B, if you make that distance longer by putting a wall in the way, this can happen sometimes. It's annoying, but I honestly don't know how to fix it. If they could build outside the build range, it'll cause a whole world of annoying other problems in the game.

Bridges
I think it could be cool to have them, maybe wooden and also stone that could be built over the lava? (Idk how lava works, did not play on them ap with it yet). Bridges would be just cool in the map editor.

Bridges are planned. For now (with water at least) you can make land bridges with the destroy terrain tool. ;)

Mouse scrolling

It does this already?

Night
It's ugly. So bright.

Buildings, fire pits etc. should generate light and it should be more yellow/orange. (I know they do right know but radius and color is bad). Light should be created just around the buildings and it should be animated, simulate the light of campfire - getting brighter and darker if you know what I mean.

Engine doesn't support per-lightsource colored light right now. It will in the future though, and when it does, you'll see more natural oranges.

Taking from Limbo
Even when it's empty, it uses the energy aka influence. It takes it from the blue bar but you get nothing.

On the fix list already. ;)

Editor - hole
Once created it's impossible to erase it. Easy way to mess up the map.

Click the hole button again, it'll toggle to the "patch" tool.

Editor shortcuts
ctrl+y, ctrl+z to redo/undo?

Believe it or not, this will be incredibly hard to code in a map editor. I know many editors out there have it, but it's a huge PITA. I'd like to add it someday though.
Rise to Ruins Developer

#3 RaveN24

RaveN24
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:/id/DaS_

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

Maaaaaaaaaan... Now I know what you meant by "changing max allowed quote blocks" when you tagged me on discord lol.
Soz for late reply and thanks for your :)

I am glad to see that most of the issues will be fixed soon or is on your list. 

I am kinda sad/disappointed it's not possible to do anything with double paths and events thingy but I understand that it's hard or just impossible for now. Upgrading stuff, "essence aren't rewards" and paths - understandable, cool. 

Mouse scrolling

http://i.imgur.com/3c52il0.png

It does this already?

I was like "Of course it does, what the heck?" - so I was trying to remind myself why I got annoyed by that and found out that it's the editor. It does not not work there. Instead of scrolling through tile types etc. it zooms in and out the map.

Anyways, that's all for now I think (working on a new list, watch out!). Thanks for explaining these few things and fixing the other ones!

#4 marakith

marakith
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:01 AM

Can we have a walk penalty for corruption for our villagers please... so our stupid builders walk the slightly longer but safe route instead of the shorter route via the enemy base and effectively suicide themselves repeatedly until you're out of builders. :(

annoyance2.jpg

tyvm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users