Feedback
8 replies to this topic - Started By Kiyalynn, Jun 23 2017 02:33 PM

#1 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'm going to stop cluttering the forums with multiple threads and just update one thread with things. My husband is a game developer so I always have a lot of feedback for games,

My first game I played on traditional, went to year 2 with a population over 200 before declaring the game won and jumping up the difficulty. Second game is in winter of the first year.

- I am playing build InDev 26c on steam-

Positives:

- The game is addictive, it definitely has a 'one more day' feel to it.

- The color coding is brilliant. I very much enjoy the villagers having a different color shirt for their job. ( Totally hope the guards show up in helmets and armor esque shirts would be an awesome compliment to the rest of the system). This includes the color code for harvesting, green for villager on the way, yellow for reachable, red for unreachable.

- I love the idea behind limbo and transferring people and minerals map to map. I haven't seen a city builder that chains games together since Pharaoh.

- I really like the  full moon, and the fact that the full moon makes ghost show up like crazy!

- Up-gradable buildings.

Negatives:

- The cloud shadows are un-needed (you can tell its raining by the rain and lightning) and too dark. I spent far too long wondering why my town was so hard to see and why the lights weren't doing anything before I noticed the cloud shape.

- Fan-names - I've noticed Star-trek, Game of thrones, Harry Potter, and celebrities (even Donald McRonald). Once you start noticing them you just keep noticing them, and its a unneeded annoyance. Honestly I'd keep the kickstarter names and then just upload a baby names database to the game.

Needs work:

- Tower tool tips - It should say what towers can shoot over what walls, I just built a sling tower, but it doesn't seam to shoot over my stone wall.

- The 'news' panel tells me when people 'mated'... but doesn't keep a notice of who died. Meaning if you missed the top of the screen message you just missed it.

- Recall may be a little overpowered as I recall all the nomads that sow up to my  town.

Suggestions:

- Would be kind of cool to have 'new moon' to go along with full moon. With the new moon having additional difficulty on the wave. With this you may need to make the new and full moon's happen in a predictable fashion so players can prepare for the stronger waves.

- Light on a wall. I find the fire pits in the middle of the wall is a little silly, I'd honestly like a wall with a fire on it

- Would be very helpful if there was a in-game help book, with general tips, explaining the color codes and the day timer.

- Pick what vegetable to plant per farm. Yes this is a OCD thing... I just don't want someone planting carrots in my turnip farm. Also, It might be cool if farms of specific types get a bonus for what terrain they are planted on. Cactus on Sand, Carrots, turnip, potato's on grass, ect.

#2 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

I feel like 'nomad' is the wrong name for the people arriving to your town. Nomads are groups of people who move around as a community or for pleasure. It just seams kinda crazy that they would just move from place to place as a choice in such a deadly environment.

I think renaming them 'Survivor' or 'Refugee' would better keep with the apocalyptic feel the rest of the game gives, it implies that there was another settlement that was destroyed in the oncoming hordes and these people managed to make it close enough for you to try and rescue them.

#3 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Currently I'm unsure as to what purpose building a Tool smith or Armory has. I don't see the point in using building slots or population when gear drops so generously from monsters.

I have not built a single one in my game, yet , on day 24, I have: 56 swords, 3 pick axe, 7axe, 9 hoe, 2 hammers, 4 shovels, 33 leather, helmets, 24 leather chest, 21 iron helmets, 23 Iron chest... and that's not counting any gear on my villagers.

#4 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:13 AM

I've played my survival difficulty game to 'completion' ... and by completion I mean I've built everything (except the smiths, they just seem unneeded), upgraded everything to max, have 200+ population lived to year 3, am progressively expanding... and the number of objects in the game have reached a point where the memory hog is too much.

First thing I want to talk about, is Towers.

The sling tower I consider to be useless, as it doesn't shoot until mobs are right on top of it, turning it so that it doesn't shoot down the lane I created for it. Perhaps giving it a 3 tile wide arch that the player decided what direction it will shoot would make it a far more viable tower.

I feel the static tower is over powered. One allowed me to survive though year 1... I can't say how long it could of let me survive past that, as I added more towers expecting fiercer waves that never quite came, However, at year 3 I only had 10 Offensive towers in my maze.

Poison damage seams like a newb check. As most of the monsters have strong defense against poison, and weakness against fire or ice.

Nothing seams to have defensive or vulnerabilities to lightning.

The second thing I want to talk about is Exploits.

Digging water holes in your maze keeps monsters from creating paths there and gaining a speed boost... they also slow monsters when they are full (assuming you can get them to go in the middle of the water... which is why I have a 3 wide maze with walls funneling everything into the middle). I currently consider this a must-do... as the removal of the paths is needed to keep monsters slower... even when its frozen over, the fact that it removes the paths monsters can make there means its worth it.

20170626233034_1.jpg?t=1498456224

Exploit #2 is the Ballista tower... My favorite tower. You can place it in the middle of a forest or rock... monsters will never go to attack it, and it can remove spawners and monsters on their turf.

20170626230916_1.jpg?t=1498456228

I think that you allow far too many Ancillaries to be built in the game. They are spam filling up space when you could do the same thing with half the number.

20170627005304_1.jpg

20170627013454_1.jpg

(Yes all of those are in one town)

On that note, I also feel allowing 206 buildings is too much, even for your map size. Using proper mazeing and tower placements 10 towers were keeping me perfectly safe and then some (as 3 were back line and not being used) with 206 building slots, I could easily take over the map and have no monsters to fight at all. I suggest cutting the ancillaries down from one per town hall upgrade, to one every other upgrade. That would reduce them by half. If you honestly think that limits buildings too much, simply allow fewer ancillaries to do the same amount of buildings.

For other notes.

Trees growing onto my roads is a hassle. I could understand them growing up on a path, that isn't used much. But a wood or stone path should not have tree's randomly growing in it blocking (and starving) workers on the other side. Its not much fun to babysit my road to make sure no trees decided to grow on it.

While I'm on the topic of roads, Placing roads one tile at a time, upgrading one tile at a time, again, and again, and again, is a burden. I wish I could tell workers to build a road and be done with it.

A tool bar telling us how much food has been used per day/season would be very helpful for surviving winter. I went into winter with over 100 raw, and 100 rations... Yet, My villagers starved on the last day of winter. I thought I had saved enough, but with no indications of how much a person eats you don't know.

You should note that I'm using over 200 food in a season, yet, the storage yards only store 75 food. So I have to say, storage yards are painfully small. I suggest adding a way to upgrade them.

I feel some buildings have too many workers placed to them, (water master), while others (organizers, farm) have too few.

I'm also going to guess your a Starcraft fan... I tried to ignore the Jim Raynor I found... but then there came a Sarah Kerrigan....

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

Sorry for the slow reply, it's been a strange week and I have not had time to sit down and run through the longer feedback posts.

- The cloud shadows are un-needed (you can tell its raining by the rain and lightning) and too dark. I spent far too long wondering why my town was so hard to see and why the lights weren't doing anything before I noticed the cloud shape.

I'm actually planning on overhauling the cloud shadows, I've never really "liked" them. But it's such a minor issue I keep setting it aside. :)

- Fan-names - I've noticed Star-trek, Game of thrones, Harry Potter, and celebrities (even Donald McRonald). Once you start noticing them you just keep noticing them, and its a unneeded annoyance. Honestly I'd keep the kickstarter names and then just upload a baby names database to the game.

Many of those names are actually from the kickstarter database. But I'll be doing another round of "Give me more names" soon, so some of the obvious ones should start getting buried a little as less known names come in.

- Tower tool tips - It should say what towers can shoot over what walls, I just built a sling tower, but it doesn't seam to shoot over my stone wall.

Agreed. ;)

- The 'news' panel tells me when people 'mated'... but doesn't keep a notice of who died. Meaning if you missed the top of the screen message you just missed it.

I'll put this on my fix list next patch, honestly never noticed it was missing.

- Recall may be a little overpowered as I recall all the nomads that sow up to my  town.

I agree, it is somewhat overpowered. It'll likely eventually get a slight nerf, but first I want to fix nomad behavior itself, so they have more survivability.

- Would be kind of cool to have 'new moon' to go along with full moon. With the new moon having additional difficulty on the wave. With this you may need to make the new and full moon's happen in a predictable fashion so players can prepare for the stronger waves.

Actually planned for InDev 27, but it's going to be a "Blood Moon", and spawn special monsters that only spawn during said blood moon, like "Blood Slimes" or have some strange weather behaviors, like a high chance of a meteor shower.

- Light on a wall. I find the fire pits in the middle of the wall is a little silly, I'd honestly like a wall with a fire on it

The gates system will fix this, as gates (opened or closed) will allow range to propagate through them. So you can build some gates into your wall mazes rather than fire pits and the village's natural range will propagate through. I might also allow gates themselves to generate a small amount as well. Depends on how play testing goes.

- Would be very helpful if there was a in-game help book, with general tips, explaining the color codes and the day timer.

Totally agree, but I'm not quite ready to work on it yet. The game changes very rapidly, it's already annoying enough having to run through and update all the tips every update :)

- Pick what vegetable to plant per farm. Yes this is a OCD thing... I just don't want someone planting carrots in my turnip farm. Also, It might be cool if farms of specific types get a bonus for what terrain they are planted on. Cactus on Sand, Carrots, turnip, potato's on grass, ect.

I have absolutely no idea how I'd do this without breaking some of the subtle design rules of the game. You shouldn't be able to control the village management that directly.

I feel like 'nomad' is the wrong name for the people arriving to your town. Nomads are groups of people who move around as a community or for pleasure. It just seams kinda crazy that they would just move from place to place as a choice in such a deadly environment.

I think renaming them 'Survivor' or 'Refugee' would better keep with the apocalyptic feel the rest of the game gives, it implies that there was another settlement that was destroyed in the oncoming hordes and these people managed to make it close enough for you to try and rescue them.

Probably true, refugee would be a better fit nomenclature wise. Although it seems a strange word to use in a medieval fantasy land. I'll have to think on it. :)

Currently I'm unsure as to what purpose building a Tool smith or Armory has. I don't see the point in using building slots or population when gear drops so generously from monsters.

I have not built a single one in my game, yet , on day 24, I have: 56 swords, 3 pick axe, 7axe, 9 hoe, 2 hammers, 4 shovels, 33 leather, helmets, 24 leather chest, 21 iron helmets, 23 Iron chest... and that's not counting any gear on my villagers.

Certainly agree, there's balance issues that need to be addressed here. The idea is all tools and equipment wear out and need replaced. But I may need to fiddle with the drop rates, or make equipment not last as long as they do. Some of this will likely get addressed in InDev 27.

<Exploits>

Actually most of what you're calling exploits are actually on purpose game design for the smarter players to figure out. :)
Rise to Ruins Developer

#6 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

The blood moon idea sounds great!

I can understand not having a help book yet, as its a game in development, Just wanted to put it on the 'to do list' for when the game is in a more complete state.

I'm not sure why Refugee would be strange in a medieval fantasy land. In fact I think they would be MORE prevalent in that world, after all, wherever there is war or disaster there are refugee's. Even World of Warcraft has 'refugee's', in its medieval fantasy land. To me nomads is what seam strange to me in an dystopian Apocalypse.

Ah, well if the exploits are part of the design then OK. I guess I'm one of the smarter players then since I figured them out in two games. ^_^

#7 Kiyalynn

Kiyalynn
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pip

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I read in the other feedback thread that you are unable to stop the 'double path's' between buildings.

Might I suggest embracing it then? Create road tiles to make flush roads when placed 2 wide.Currently when you place roads in a 2x2 square they make a circle instead of a double wide road. Making a long line of them means you have figure 8's all along your road. I feel it would look far better if you simply added the tiles to fit with the fact that double roads are common, rather than the roads assuming they MUST be in a one tile wide line.

#8 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

I read in the other feedback thread that you are unable to stop the 'double path's' between buildings.

Might I suggest embracing it then? Create road tiles to make flush roads when placed 2 wide.Currently when you place roads in a 2x2 square they make a circle instead of a double wide road. Making a long line of them means you have figure 8's all along your road. I feel it would look far better if you simply added the tiles to fit with the fact that double roads are common, rather than the roads assuming they MUST be in a one tile wide line.

That's the plan actually. I just need to draw said tiles. :)
Rise to Ruins Developer

#9 Goopie

Goopie
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

as stated by Kiyalynn upgrade-able storage is a must even if you have to pal lots more for some extra storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users