Complex Modifiable Difficulty Settings
4 replies to this topic - Started By Vedov, Mar 20 2017 05:33 PM

#1 Vedov

Vedov
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

Right now the game has one difficulty setting in survival mode. As it stands, it falls entirely on the developer to make the game both fun and challenging. With only one hard difficulty setting, the balance between fun and challenging is precarious.

If there were a difficulty menu where different aspects of the game could be altered by the player before starting a game (e.g., monster spawn rate, thirst and hunger consumption rates... whatever else...), then the players could do the work of balancing the game. This sort of setup has more than just the benefit of letting players have some control over the difficulty. It also allows for different kinds of games to emerge from the same program. A game with a high monster spawn rate and a low food consumption rate requires a different strategy than a game with a low monster spawn rate and a high food consumption rate.

This game seems to be about creating a village that doesn't get screwed over (at least not too quickly). But if the trials you face are always the same, then the same (or similar) strategy can be employed routinely. Hence, the player only goes through the agony (and fun) of figuring out how to raise a village once.

Having a difficulty menu with numerous modifiable variables would allow players to create their own insanely difficult and unique variations to the game. Players would need to develop new strategies to deal with different difficulty settings.

#2 Shaders...Ellipses

Shaders...Ellipses
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:shade...
  • LocationTexas (same as Dev)

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

this reminds me of, "gnomoria's," system and in that game it works wonders so if it works there i have good hopes if this was added.

76561198062323960.png

#3 Jaxter

Jaxter
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Is there any way of maybe editing the game files or something to increase the number of and rate of monsters spawning?

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Sorry for the slow reply, been a busy week pushing InDev 25 out.

Variable difficulty is actually planned, although not quite the same way you're describing. In the somewhat near future I'll be adding per-map difficulty settings that can be adjusted by the map creator (not the player).

Some of these settings will be;

- Spawn rates

- Types of monsters that can spawn on the map

- Minimum/Maximum levels of monsters.
- Weather (Rain amount, average temperatures)

- Season and time of day lengths

- Full moon frequency

- How many "Calm" days you get before monsters start spawning.

That's not a full list, and it'll evolve as the game does. But the general idea is a map maker can customize his maps (and in turn, I can customize the maps on the world map).

As for overall scoping difficulty changes, I'll probably also add a "Hard" Survival mode eventually, as well as add a new game mode ("Custom" mode?) sorta-kinda like what you're describing, where players can adjust various map settings (In line with what the map creator would usually set) prior to entering a region for the first time.

But, the custom mode is very low on the priority list right now, my main focus is getting the difficulty settings in-place, and rebalancing survival mode maps so some are easier and some are harder.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#5 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,913 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Is there any way of maybe editing the game files or something to increase the number of and rate of monsters spawning?

You'd have to change the code to do this at the moment, but you can go into Sandbox mode and mess with the settings. Assuming you resist the urge to play with any of the cheater-tools in Sandbox mode, you can just mess with the spawn rates and play like a normal survival game. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users