#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,826 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

After a nice big bloated dev cycle for InDev 29, it's time to dive in to the next big thing, InDev 30! This update will be focusing on making your villagers more important, valuable and personable as well as reduce the overall amount of monsters and villagers on the map.

A lot of the overall goals of this patch is to lower the mob count on the map, while not changing the pacing or balance of the game. But, as always, there will be fresh, new mechanics as well!

If you have any requests, be sure to post them in the comments. Let me know what you want, and how you want it to work! You might just find it sneak into the next patch. :)

InDev 30 Road Map

Multi-Carry
  • Villagers will be able to carry more than one resource at a time, massively cutting down on transit time to build or deliver resources. This should compensate for the villager rebalancing mentioned below and help keep the same game pacing with less villagers working.
  • The amount they can carry will be based on their strength stats. The stronger they are, the more they can carry.
Aging / Lifelong Health System
  • Villagers will now age and die. But through providing them a healthy, happy life you can help them live longer.
  • Villagers will eventually "retire" and no longer be able to take a job, but when they chat with villagers they will impart their wisdom on them, giving them experience bonuses so they level up faster.
  • Having good housing, keeping people well fed, happy and having clinics as well as many other factors will assist in extending villager's age.
  • A slight chance the mother, or mother and child will die during child birth will be added. The chance this will happen will be based on the mother's age and health.
Redesigning Monster Spawning
  • Monster spawning will be completely redesigned, favoring "hot zones" where monsters build large amount of spawns far away from the village, rather than randomly placing spawns all over the map.
  • Much less monsters will wander around on the map in the day time, making it safer to venture out or expand.
  • When monsters spawn, they will now spawn at night and almost instantly attack the village. Any leftovers when dawn arrives will return to their spawners.
Rebalancing The Village
  • All village nomad and reproduction rates will be reduced, causing village growth to slow down quite a bit.
  • All occupancy, job slots, farm growth, storage limits, etc will all be reduced.
  • Because of the above, things like hunger and thirst will either drop slower per villager, or food and water will be worth more.
  • All building requirements will be reduced (to compensate for less villagers working).
  • Many work tasks will be buffed, for example, repairing will repair more per attempt.
  • To balance out the lower mob counts, many of the towers, golems, and other defensive mechanics may need to be rebalanced.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 Arrevax

Arrevax
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Arrevax

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

[snip]...there will be french, new mechanics as well! [/snip]

One more call for a graveyard and/or temple building! If there will be fewer bodies on the ground, why not make them a more dynamic resource than a slowly-decomposing essence puddle?

http://risetoruins.c.../1318-cemetery/

I'd really love to see a special caster-type job, and it could be attached to this concept, as I mentioned in the thread above (though it might make it overloaded with roles). Necromancers would fit right in among the enemy types, too (and few things would make me happier than charming one and having a little friendly undead army to help guard the village).

I'll also sneak in this pile of my own suggestions. Some have already been addressed; I'll have to edit it at some point.

http://risetoruins.c...on-compilation/

Question: how will resurrection/ghosts work for villagers who die of old age? It's nice to keep some familiar villagers around, even if they don't have much to make them unique besides names (which tend to get mixed up by marriages), and there's no way to keep track of lineage. Maybe villagers could always be resurrected as children? That would help balance out the benefit of resurrection.

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,826 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

One more call for a graveyard and/or temple building! If there will be fewer bodies on the ground, why not make them a more dynamic resource than a slowly-decomposing essence puddle?
http://risetoruins.c.../1318-cemetery/
I'd really love to see a special caster-type job, and it could be attached to this concept, as I mentioned in the thread above (though it might make it overloaded with roles). Necromancers would fit right in among the enemy types, too (and few things would make me happier than charming one and having a little friendly undead army to help guard the village).

I'll also sneak in this pile of my own suggestions. Some have already been addressed; I'll have to edit it at some point.
http://risetoruins.c...on-compilation/

Question: how will resurrection/ghosts work for villagers who die of old age? It's nice to keep some familiar villagers around, even if they don't have much to make them unique besides names (which tend to get mixed up by marriages), and there's no way to keep track of lineage. Maybe villagers could always be resurrected as children? That would help balance out the benefit of resurrection.

There's actually a ton of cemetery ideas floating around, it's something I've wanted to add for a while. A patch like this does help open the door for it as well, since deaths will be a much bigger deal now. :)

As for death via old age I'm running off the idea that if they die of old age, their "life force/energy" (?) is spent, and no ghost is produced. Similar to how a Cullis Gate produces no ghost, because you consumed their entire "being". At least, that's the excuse I'm running with. From a purely technical/game design standpoint, it's just to prevent players from endlessly resurrecting grandma and grandpa and end up with a town full of 500 year olds.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 Arrevax

Arrevax
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Arrevax

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

There's actually a ton of cemetery ideas floating around, it's something I've wanted to add for a while. A patch like this does help open the door for it as well, since deaths will be a much bigger deal now. :)

As for death via old age I'm running off the idea that if they die of old age, their "life force/energy" (?) is spent, and no ghost is produced. Similar to how a Cullis Gate produces no ghost, because you consumed their entire "being". At least, that's the excuse I'm running with. From a purely technical/game design standpoint, it's just to prevent players from endlessly resurrecting grandma and grandpa and end up with a town full of 500 year olds.

*crosses fingers for the priest/necromancer dichotomy*

I'm more in favor of letting players choose, but your idea does make sense and force players to nurture new villagers. Resurrecting grandma and grandpa with 300+ in each stat would be interesting but broken. Regardless of the details, I'm looking forward to a functional, meaningful way of limiting entities to prevent engine problems. Who says you can't make a good game in Java?  ;) Besides, having dozens of overlapping enemies/friendlies turns them into a random mess of flailing limbs, visually.

On another note, do you plan on providing continual uses for refined construction materials? Raw materials get used for equipment and ammo, which break and run out, but if you aren't building anything, your carpenters and stone cutters end up bumming around. Perhaps repairs could require materials once you get around to that repair job? Just a thought.

Thanks for being such a responsive dev! I sort of wish I could contribute more directly to the game, but it's great just knowing that you pay so much attention to the slurry of feedback from players.

#5 loner

loner
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pip

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

Sounds like a pretty major rework. Not sure how I feel about it, but looking forward to testing this out nonetheless. Villagers only carrying one item at a time really grinds my gears.
That said, mother and child dying during childbirth is a bit too dark and somewhat arbitrary IMO. Not the kind of RNGesus I prefer.

Also, a couple of unrelated requests I hope you'll "sneak into" this update. ;)

1. Please update water tiles, so single-tile-wide lines of water look like rivers/moats rather than uniformly-spaced row of puddles. Tree tiles could use a similar tweak too.

I.E. instead of
(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)

it should be
(_____________)

2. Please update road tiles, so they connect diagonally; Blocks of 2x2 road tiles or more should also connect without "holes" in-between.

I.E. instead of
╠╣
╠╣
╠╣

it should be
│ │
│ │
│ │

#6 Bolgfred

Bolgfred
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

Such impertinence, you put me that bug in my ear ! Now I really want to resurrect grandma....

My 2 cents about the changes:

Multi-Carry

• Villagers will be able to carry more than one resource at a time, massively cutting down on transit time to build or deliver resources. This should compensate for the villager rebalancing mentioned below and help keep the same game pacing with less villagers working.
  • The amount they can carry will be based on their strength stats. The stronger they are, the more they can carry.

Personally I do not want  this. From a perspective of overview I like the 1:1 hauling ratio as i can see what is happening better.

I Imagine it much cooler, if the ancillary job (organizer?) would be able to haul much more things. Something like 5 items generally and 10 items with high strength. Could use a backpack or wheelcart as animation.

I like the step much more than a dynamic, as you can say 'good hauler' or 'bad hauler' instead of... 'something ... hauler'

Aging / Lifelong Health System

• Villagers will now age and die. But through providing them a healthy, happy life you can help them live longer.
  • Villagers will eventually "retire" and no longer be able to take a job, but when they chat with villagers they will impart their wisdom on them, giving them experience bonuses so they level up faster.
  • Having good housing, keeping people well fed, happy and having clinics as well as many other factors will assist in extending villager's age.
  • A slight chance the mother, or mother and child will die during child birth will be added. The chance this will happen will be based on the mother's age and health.

I am a little bit afraid of Aging, as it might take away my precious villagers, but sounds cool and I feel exited for it.

Redesigning Monster Spawning

• Monster spawning will be completely redesigned, favoring "hot zones" where monsters build large amount of spawns far away from the village, rather than randomly placing spawns all over the map.
  • Much less monsters will wander around on the map in the day time, making it safer to venture out or expand.
  • When monsters spawn, they will now spawn at night and almost instantly attack the village. Any leftovers when dawn arrives will return to their spawners.

I am gladly looking forward for this rework. Hope I don't have to miss the map being 'conquered' by monsters.

I Imagine some kind of aggro range for spawners, unleashing it's monster inhabitants when something gets in their range. by this the map stays clean, but still captured by the monsters. The larger the spawner, the larger the aggro area. Could have some mega-spawners by some day, which make up a challenge to be removed.

Rebalancing The Village

• All occupancy, job slots, farm growth, storage limits, etc will all be reduced.
  • Because of the above, things like hunger and thirst will either drop slower per villager, or food and water will be worth more.
  • All building requirements will be reduced (to compensate for less villagers working).
  • Many work tasks will be buffed, for example, repairing will repair more per attempt.
  • To balance out the lower mob counts, many of the towers, golems, and other defensive mechanics to be rebalanced.

I know it doesn't fit equally, but I'd love to see the hero thingie from  Hero Altars and Bosses even if it's shamelessly promoting my own post.

#7 loner

loner
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pip

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Multi-Carry

Villagers will be able to carry more than one resource at a time, massively cutting down on transit time to build or deliver resources. This should compensate for the villager rebalancing mentioned below and help keep the same game pacing with less villagers working.
The amount they can carry will be based on their strength stats. The stronger they are, the more they can carry.

Personally I do not want this. From a perspective of overview I like the 1:1 hauling ratio as i can see what is happening better.
I Imagine it much cooler, if the ancillary job (organizer?) would be able to haul much more things. Something like 5 items generally and 10 items with high strength. Could use a backpack or wheelcart as animation.
I like the step much more than a dynamic, as you can say 'good hauler' or 'bad hauler' instead of... 'something ... hauler'
That's a valid point actually. What I like about RTR currently is that you don't have to dig too deeply into the numbers and meta to figure out what's going on. You can do so just by observing the villagers. If each villager can carry a different number of items - it'll be harder to accurately judge your village's efficiency.

I agree that limiting that ability to only organizers would make it more manageable (and make organizers more useful). I think the amount of items villagers can carry should be a fixed number independent of strength, and instead give organizers "backpacks" that let them carry more items, and the ability to manufacture wheelcarts (at the toolsmithy?) that would increase that limit even more.

#8 ocbaker

ocbaker
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

For the villagers being able to carry more, I think it would be neat if Organisers gained an additional tool, a wheelbarrow. Which they can use to carry a little more than normal. It seems like the place of an organiser would become even more "clear" if something like this was introduced.

#9 flapjack

flapjack
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

A lot of the overall goals of this patch is to lower the mob count on the map, while not changing the pacing or balance of the game. But, as always, there will be fresh, new mechanics as well!

Multi-Carry

You could likely combine a few buildings into upgrades to increase villager importance.  For instance, the tool smithy and armor smithy could be combined as upgrades on the forge, instead of being their own seperate buildings that take up space and a worker.  This will lower the number of job slots needing to be filled to have a productive villager.

Great game, I look forward to seeing it evolve over time.

#10 Jornk

Jornk
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

Can't wait for the update to come out but with the whole aspect of villagers ageing and retirement to balance this out so you don't end up with a village of only old people I think you should up the chance of nomads in the region (just a idea).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users