#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,826 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Rayvolution
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you have been granted the "Make-a-Mob" award, you may post your ideas here. Keep in mind when submitting, most monsters in the game are only 8x8 pixels. That doesn't leave much room for creativity. I will do the best that I can, but please understand ideas like "I want a white dwarf, riding a dragon, wearing a crown and holding an exact replica of The Excalibur" isn't really viable. :)

Monsters are one of the most complicated parts of the Kickstarter to sort out, so please understand that a lot of ideas may not be viable, for example "I'd like you do add barbarians that build small villages and attack you!" is an extremely complicated idea, and I can't promise you that. But something like "I would like a mage that shoots fireballs!" or "I'd like you to add vampires that suck the blood of the villagers to regain health" is completely reasonable.

But, there are future plans to allow larger 16x16 "boss" like monsters, slightly expanding the creativity. If you pick a design that you want to be 16x16, it could be a great deal of time before you see it in the game, because there is no coding framework what so ever for these larger monsters yet. For reference, the villagers in RPC are 8x8, so the boss monsters will be 4 times larger. But even then there isn't that much room to work with. So please understand that when you submit your idea. this is micro-sized pixel art after all! :D

To submit, simply let me know what your idea is, and some general details and make some abilities it may have. (Generic example: "I want a spider that can poison you!").

The Annoying Rules: (Mostly a rehash of the post above)

- ONE mob only! Although if it's reasonable to be a set of very similar mobs, that's fine.

- Mobs must be reasonably drawable in 8x8 or 16x16 of space. Only boss mobs will be 16x16, if you select a boss mob please understand it may be a very long time before it is created, since the priority is getting standard mobs in the game.

- Basic AI only please. Nothing too complicated. (Example: Trolls that have health regen, or spiders that trap people in webs when they attack are ok.) You can get a little more fancy with boss mobs if you go that route instead, but please understand that AI is the most complicated part of this game, and coding something too complicated will take an excessively long time.

Rise to Ruins Developer

#2 AstronauticalFerret

AstronauticalFerret
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Pi
  • LocationChicago, Illinois, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Known Universe.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

A couple of  mobs that would be more down the road goal. Not sure how the code works but these would be more used for player control in conjunction to the Mars Tileset.

Runaway Curiosity Rover with a shotgun!... Just kidding. Basically just a couple of rover variants.  No need to to and shove all the components on it due to limitation, we all know what rovers do.  A few variants that can be useful/deadly in concept with the Mars Tileset idea.

Building Rover- Looks like a forklift.

Harvester- Has a drill.

Repair Tech- Has a welder

Energizer- Looks like solar panel and can be used as a mobile power platform.

Corrupted AI- Suicide rover- looks like it has the words TNT on it.

All rovers could be controlled, though over time without repairs or "AI Wipes" they can get clumsy/dangerous/hostil.

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,826 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

A couple of  mobs that would be more down the road goal. Not sure how the code works but these would be more used for player control in conjunction to the Mars Tileset.

<snippy>

The mobs are actually mostly monsters. The players are almost exclusively restricted to villagers. :/

Although animals are fine as well, and those may someday be able to be tamed, although I'm hoping most the ideas are actually monsters/baddies. :)

Rise to Ruins Developer

#4 Boss Llama

Boss Llama
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

For my "Make-A-Mob" I would like... ::drumroll::

A goat.

This is, of course, a fairly inconsiderate goat, but for all intents and purposes it should just look like a goat. The goat's malicious nature is revealed when it attacks.

If it is possible, I would like the goat to have two specific behaviors and one random trait:

1) That it is capable of moving directly over the mountain/rock areas of the map, as goats do.

(If this is not possible, perhaps it can jump over walls? Either/or)

2) That instead of attacking villagers, it targets a town's food supplies.

First priority is attacking farms and ripping up crops, followed by eating any food lying around or in a food storage building. It will only attack villagers themselves if there is no food accessible, or if it itself comes under attack. It should not eat food that grows wild, as it is motivated not by actual hunger, but rather by a supernatural desire to kill villagers with the cruel tendrils of starvation (Might be programmable using code from farmers' harvesting routine, and eating from other buildings using a villager's hunger routine?)

3) It seems to respond to the name 'Maebelle'

(If it is possible to just insert this as flavor text in the description when clicked on or something like that, that'd be great. It doesn't actually need to do anything.)

Boss Llama

Fear the Goats!

#5 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

For my submission I'm going to do Kobolds.

One would look like this and throw spears:

PngLiTN.png

Would be a Kobold Scavenger? Scrounger? Hunter? It would be more of an anti-bow tower enemy. Against a melee villager it would be a 'get first or first two hits and get killed pretty quick' scenario. They would try to back up a little while attacking. Since they have range they would be able to attack over rivers. Hopefully that wouldn't make the villager be like 'omg I can't reach' and try to stand on the other side giving them funny faces and getting attacked until they die (not stopping aggro) just like how 14b I tried to make villagers harvest materials on the other side of a mountain and the game lagged because they were still trying to pathfind or something. And now I'm getting off topic. lol

The second Kobold would be white like this:

btCDd2C.png

It would be an ice mage (robes and staff, or maybe a magic glove where it reaches out a hand to shoot), it attacks about half the distance of a spear Kobold and the blue ball it shoots has a splash range of 3x3 or 4x4. It would be a 'Siberian Kobold'. It can walk over water because it freezes it.

I second the lightly mentioned idea of a vampire along with a werewolf (not sure what the human form would do really) since it's almost Halloween and I feel they would be great generic additions.

#6 Lumpygravy

Lumpygravy
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pip

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

EDIT had to lower my pledge after I found out I did not receive the amount of Food Assistance i normally receive with my disability income... :( so sorry!

Lumpy_Gravy_Sig_Darksized.gif

#7 Hycissen

Hycissen
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Hycissen
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

<Reserved>

(Might change a few things depending on some questions :) )

There are always unforeseen consequences. -Hycissen

#8 AstronauticalFerret

AstronauticalFerret
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Pi
  • LocationChicago, Illinois, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Known Universe.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Xenomorph likeness. Explodes into a cloud of acid that takes up a three tile radious for five minutes if killed.  Attack in swarms. Cannot be tamed.  Wears a troll hat.

#9 JDudgeon

JDudgeon
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

Element Monsters

Monsters ideas:

Stone/tree monsters.

Think how scary it would be to have the chance of a monster spawning while mining or cutting down a tree, or just have one come out and attack the closest villager for fun.

Abilities:

Able to toss stones/tree stubs at villages!

Able to reproduce through a nesting!

If destroyed, 40+ stones/logs spawn!

You are able to tame it, for protection purposes!

Yes that is TWO monsters, but I'll let you choose which one to add! Just some ideas!

#10 JsantheCandyman

JsantheCandyman
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

So what I have in pixel art form is what I call a Lurcher.

5bzrkn.jpg

It moves forward by lurching forward small distances at a time and it swings its hook thing while idle.

That's about it. I didn't think of any stats for it. I just wanted a grey enemy with red highlights. Maybe it can be a high-damage, low health type of enemy, or at least something that makes you go "Oh crap" when you see it lurching for your villagers.

New stats for the Lurcher are lower in this thread.

#11 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

For my submission I'm going to do Kobolds.

Gotta admit man, I really love kobolds. Though I must say these look more like "Gnolls" to me. 

Nevertheless, love kobolds with a passion.

a20792b12a5896d0b94756_s.jpg

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

#12 Warfang

Warfang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Warfangslayer
  • LocationQuito, Ecuador

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Orc Blood Guard

For my mob/monster, I would like to have one with the following features created if possible. I realize that with the model/engine limitations, some items may be up for debate, but I am just throwing out what I would like incorporated if it doesn't break that barrier.

• Orc Soldier
  • Heavily armored (Think plate armor and such)
  • Spear as a weapon
  • Shield equipped on the back

As for combat/abilities/tactics go:

• Lots of HP
  • Slower movement speed
  • Mid-ranged melee attack (Spear is longer than other melee weapons)
  • Attack in group(s) of 1-3
  • Chance to block attacks
  • "Blood Rage" : Orc Blood Guard takes --% less damage, but deals --% less damage for -- seconds.

Love it. 

My suggestions would be lots of HP, decent attack. Slow movement speed. Love the chance to block attacks.

I think the "Blood Rage" should so the exact opposit. Have him take 25% more damage, but deal +25% more damage and gain move speed.

... I am the master of my fate,

The captain of my soul.

#13 jaybee3

jaybee3
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Worm

I don't mean the sort that inches across the ground. More like the burrowing, will pop up and eat you sort. Think the Sarlaac from SW:ROTJ but not so massive and more dynamic. Anyway my first draft and two cents are below on how it should behave.

Combat and tactics

Burrows under the ground for movement, bypassing most obstacles (walls...etc, lava/water it has to go around)

When it stops the pixels of the earth move to signify it's coming

Then it pops up out of the ground devouring anything there (Damage + a small replenishment of HP)

It then slowly sinks back into the ground, giving time for counter attack

jaybee3.png

#14 Lerahk

Lerahk
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Stealth mob
(that grabs?)

It would take the form on screen as a mound of raised dirt or grass and camouflage above the ground, nearly blending with the textures, remaining only barely visible.
Resembling an ant hill or a mound of soil/grass/stones, ect, these creatures use their mastery of stealth to hide in pain sight by covering themselves in the terrain and ambushing villagers by reaching their hand out of their cover.

Just an idea. I just think a barely visible mob that surprises the player when encountered would be interesting. I also like the idea of a creature that left a lot to the imagination, where the player only sees an arm grabbing at him or her from underneath cover, and retreating.

Cheers!

#15 MrDudepuppet

MrDudepuppet
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Puppetmancer

Name could use some work, but its a working name haha.

A PM is not like a regular kind of mancer, this mancer takes villagers, up to 3, to fight for him.

Usually found in larger raid parties

Attacks

An insanely low damaged melee hit, perhaps around 1-2 a every second or so.

It has 2 primary abilities, one that mind controls villagers and one that kills them off to replenish his own health.

Mind Control has a 10 second cooldown before it can acquire another villager. In order to combat villagers killing each other, the ai should set the PM as a primary target unless the hostile villager has hit something (be it building or ally) for 75% base health or more. If the PM is killed while controlling villagers then the villagers are returned to the player with a temporary buff of strength, aka they hit harder, they build faster, they work faster, ect.

As for the health drain, it instant kills one villager that it controls and heals the PM for 50% of the villagers health, this ability has about a 30-45 second cool down.

but as always, all times and balancing issues are up to you, Roy! If you don't like something about it, by all means take it out, change it, replace it, just as long as the original idea is still behind it haha! I can't wait to show this sucker off more on my channel! 

#16 KyoShinda

KyoShinda
  • Members
  • 449 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

Gotta admit man, I really love kobolds. Though I must say these look more like "Gnolls" to me. 

Nevertheless, love kobolds with a passion.

Well, whatever looks like a bipedal dog with crazy hair, that's what I want my mob to be. xD

I'm not really keen on specific fantasy monster groups :P

And I like The Lurcher, that thing is cool. lol

#17 JsantheCandyman

JsantheCandyman
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well, whatever looks like a bipedal dog with crazy hair, that's what I want my mob to be. xD

I'm not really keen on specific fantasy monster groups :P

And I like The Lurcher, that thing is cool. lol

Thanks. I came up with it while playing around in MS Paint. I wanted a mob that would be unique to this game, so this is what we're likely going to get!

#18 TheSolarGamer

TheSolarGamer
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

The Solar Emperor

The only suggestion for appearance would include the colors Orange and White. I'm not sure how creative it can be with an 8x8 or 16x16 tile, so I will leave that up to you. Something "King"ly or "Wizard"ly.

I see this more as a boss than a standard enemy. If that can't be done, I can possibly think of smaller attacks.

Attacks

I was thinking of a 'Firestorm' attack in which it hits multiple targets with fire damage.

I'm not sure what the encounter would be with a boss either. If it encounters the village the firestorm could also affect wood buildings/objects (although, there would be a large bit of coding with that ;D ) So, I understand if that isn't viable.

A passive attack could be 'Blinding Light', which could daze attackers for a short duration.

If you need any more information, please let me know. 

My primary email is thesolargamer@gmail.com, I will also be promoting this game on my YouTube channel: 

https://www.youtube.com/user/rslayer9

#19 Micromelo

Micromelo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pip
  • Steam ID:Micromelo
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:22 AM

I think something simple like Goblins, Orcs or Skeleton monsters are still quite fun and interesting. But because this is a castle rts, besides them, what about other Human enemy mobs? Like Knights and such that have a more tactful approach to attacking a castle, making a harder mob and some diverse gameplay . I know you said nothing too complex but just as a suggestion, these Humans have a basecamp that they build when they arrive and they grow in numbers over time if left and will send waves until the camp is destroyed? Idk just going off on a tangent xD I've noticed a lot of rts games ignore another combatant on the map as a constant threat which I find disappointing Unlike Stronghold and Age of Empires.

EDIT: I know I didn't donate enough to warrant this mob being made but suggestions aren't bad right? ^^ I want this game to be as successful as possible.

#20 ImperatusNequeHasta

ImperatusNequeHasta
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

I made these Just for fun they actually turned out not half bad but here you go. http://www.piskelapp...ICg6NKgCgw/edit

http://www.piskelapp...ICg6NKgCgw/edit

#21 Wycroe

Wycroe
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

I have an idea for a boss mob....I realize this wouldn't be implemented for quite some time, but it's something I like.

So it's a stone behemoth that attacks the village with it's mighty stone hands.  As the villagers do damage to it, small chunks would drop off and animate as smaller versions of him.  He could also throw large chunks of rock at the town but definitely enjoys the feeling of physically SMASHING towns to bits!!!

I would think that for health, as a boss, he would be high health, high damage, very slow attack speed.  As it is damaged (maybe every 20% damage suffered) a small version spawns off him, causing him to suffer an additional 4% damage (doing the math, that allows for 4 full baby spawns and leaving him with 4% of it's max health left after the last spawn.

The baby spawns would be 10% of the max health of the behemoth, would be medium speed attack, low damage.  These could also throw small chunks of stone.

#22 Hexicube

Hexicube
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pip

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

Just for consistency since I posted this in general discussion a while back, and to keep it in one place for Ray.

Mob idea: Robotic Spider (boss)

• Would probably have 4 or 6 legs instead of 8
  • Considerably high speed
  • Relatively weak damage
  • Lots of health
  • No more than 3 of this boss can exist at any one time
    • Each one is colour-coded red/green/blue
  • Can heal using ores and buildings
    • Prefers raw ores
    • Raw ores provide about 50% more than other sources
    • Can't use crystals that don't match it's colour
  • Has an internal inventory
    • Can hold enough to create 5 minions
    • Should be ablt to retrieve it's contents when it's dead
  • Can capture a villager and convert it into a smaller robot spider (might ditch this bit)
    • Conversion takes about 20 seconds
    • Can capture dead villagers
    • Conversion starts at 50% for dead villagers
    • Can't capture a villager if boss is under half health
    • Needs to get out of the battle to convert it, taking damage resets conversion
    • Villager is killed if conversion hits 50% (the first half of conversion is killing the villager)
    • Suffers from reduced mobility while taking a villager
    • Can't attack or heal while capturing a villager
  • Can construct robot spider minions
    • Master spider only creates minions when there aren't a lot of mobs nearby
    • Takes a fair amount of ore and about 30s per spider
      • Would probably require 50 stone, 50 wood, and 10 crystals of the correct colour
      • Must gather all of the resources prior to making the minion
    • Can't have more than 20 (not counting converted villagers)
    • Minions try to stay within 20 blocks of the master
    • Minions deactivate when master dies or goes out of range (range is 30 blocks)
    • Killed minions should be harvestable for 50% of the ore, deactivated ones for up to 100% depending on their health
    • Minions are colour-coded to match their master

#23 JsantheCandyman

JsantheCandyman
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pip

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

So what I have in pixel art form is what I call a Lurcher.

5bzrkn.jpg

It moves forward by lurching forward small distances at a time and it swings its hook thing while idle.

That's about it. I didn't think of any stats for it. I just wanted a grey enemy with red highlights. Maybe it can be a high-damage, low health type of enemy, or at least something that makes you go "Oh crap" when you see it lurching for your villagers. 

Ok, playing around with magic towers and such, a low health/high damage enemy isn't all that special. So I came up with an interesting mechanic for this guy. Basically, the Lurcher is the physical equivalent of a horror story you tell to kids. 

The Lurcher will come into town, lurching along the way. It will ignore other villagers, even if they start attacking. It doesn't want them, it wants their kids. Once it locates a kid, it will attract  the kid with its swinging, then abduct it and leave the town. Once it leaves the perimeter of the build limit, the child will start taking damage until he dies. If the villagers kill the Lurcher in time, it will drop the kid unharmed and the kid will continue living on. 

Mechanically, he won't enter the village unless there's a kid to abduct. And when he does, he'll come in with enough health to shrug off a single firebolt tower when entering and exiting the town. 

So, that's the Lurcher revisited. Instead of acting like a generic enemy, he has a goal. So hide your children, the Lurcher is about!.

#24 Darkflashz

Darkflashz
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

Mob Idea:

Twisting shadows.

The monster should look like it is a shadow ghost but with broken feet crawling towards its target and when it attacks it will apply a basic debuff that lower the strength of the enemy by 3 (or depends on the difficulty maybe more or less)

It would be nice to have "special" monsters but still on the basic sides as I have seen nothing but basic attacking monsters but a debuffer would be nice to have.

#25 Darkflashz

Darkflashz
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Pip

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:52 AM

Any idea where we can see the full monster roster? 

Would be nice to know which enemy was finished from backers list.

#26 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Developer
  • 1,826 posts
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Any idea where we can see the full monster roster? 
Would be nice to know which enemy was finished from backers list.

Most all of them listed here are still planned, I'm just focusing on core content still. :)

I'll being doing a few rounds of "Kickstarter stuff" updates sometime this year to cover the map theme and monster ideas.
Rise to Ruins Developer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users